dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Anodising is thinner or poorer quality and it wears where the greatest load is which may indicate that something with the design is nqr and needs a design tweak or solution in the future models. I've seen a few that have these wear marks in 2017 on shocks. 40hr shock oil changes and keeping the bushes serviced or replaced frequently is the best solution.
After a while the shock tube will need replacing and thankfully they aren't to expensive (less then $200) although it shouldn't do this so quickly.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

I got rid of the heim joint and replaced it with a bushing that I had made up from a nylon-like material. Canít quite remember the name of this stuff at the minute, but it has very good wear properties and is self lubricating from memory. Anyway, I bought a length of cylindrical stock and had it machined for bugger all and got a half dozen out of it. They easily last 3 or 4 times longer than the heim joint ever did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Champion

If the Heim joint can be swapped left to right by turning your shock 180 degrees... that might fix it.
As a Mechanic; if a car pulled to one side; I'd swap the front tyres thus reversing the bias-straight.

As I meant to post; skewiff becomes more skewiff; swapping evens the Yin & yang of the Universe.
That might work; eventually bias will kick it the other way again; by then your Heim joint is stuffed.

Regardless; something is out of alignment/parallel to cause such-wear on a new bike:
It has to/do with force acting from the top to the bottom, likely-merely ~1/2mm out.

My thoughts are that the bolt-hole through the Heim joint isn't parallel & horizontal:
Or-that the swingarm itself isn't parallel to that/which frame/mount, as it should be.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew300 View Post
I got rid of the heim joint and replaced it with a bushing that I had made up from a nylon-like material. Canít quite remember the name of this stuff at the minute, but it has very good wear properties and is self lubricating from memory. Anyway, I bought a length of cylindrical stock and had it machined for bugger all and got a half dozen out of it. They easily last 3 or 4 times longer than the heim joint ever did.

Sounds like vesconite
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Sounds like vesconite

Yeah, I think thatís it. It goes good in that application, and because itís a full width bushing the load is spread across a wider area so it doesnít wear as quick. And vesconite being quite hard means the centre hole doesnít oval out very easily as would a softer material such as nylon.