dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 2 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

just to through it into the mix also consider Full force racing components @ maroochydore!

I have used many times both the other tuners mentioned in this thread mpe and suspension matters before with mixed results 1 has charged me extra with out out asking, both have installed incorrect weight fork springs to suit me 1 under sprung a the other way over sprung 1 has sold me extra's that i have since found made the bike handle worse (thanks for that extra $250) have since reinstalled the original part and i'm so much happier with it how it handles FFRC recommended i remove it and so glad i did!
I have also open up a set of forks that i'd paid for gold valves to be installed and they weren't there i think they are both pretty dishonest and both can be very arrogant to deal with

I also found FFRC are much better priced
Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchwitch View Post
just to through it into the mix also consider Full force racing components @ maroochydore!

I have used many times both the other tuners mentioned in this thread mpe and suspension matters before with mixed results 1 has charged me extra with out out asking, both have installed incorrect weight fork springs to suit me 1 under sprung a the other way over sprung 1 has sold me extra's that i have since found made the bike handle worse (thanks for that extra $250) have since reinstalled the original part and i'm so much happier with it how it handles FFRC recommended i remove it and so glad i did!
I have also open up a set of forks that i'd paid for gold valves to be installed and they weren't there i think they are both pretty dishonest and both can be very arrogant to deal with

I also found FFRC are much better priced
Charging for gold valves that weren't there??
That's outright dishonest theft.
Which one of the two did that and did you confront them?
What was the outcome?

Very serious allegation.
Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Charging for gold valves that weren't there??
That's outright dishonest theft.
Which one of the two did that and did you confront them?
What was the outcome?

Very serious allegation.
i am not planning to identify them. I recently have had a chat with a bloke that used the other mob and he found the same thing with gold valves he had also paid $200 for a new shock spring but found he'd been supplied a 2nd spring that had been freshly painted.
outcome
I did raise it with them in person they quickly produced a set of gold valves and installed them on the spot. there reason was that had changed them out after i Brought the forks back for adjustment after my 1st ride on them, and they installed different option that cost the same sort of money and was based in the mid valve they said they told me of it but i don't recall that.
Old 22 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchwitch View Post
i am not planning to identify them. I recently have had a chat with a bloke that used the other mob and he found the same thing with gold valves he had also paid $200 for a new shock spring but found he'd been supplied a 2nd spring that had been freshly painted.
outcome
I did raise it with them in person they quickly produced a set of gold valves and installed them on the spot. there reason was that had changed them out after i Brought the forks back for adjustment after my 1st ride on them, and they installed different option that cost the same sort of money and was based in the mid valve they said they told me of it but i don't recall that.
I think it's a bit unfair not clearing one of the shops at least.
Two shops are being referred in this thread and you throw this experience out, suggesting dishonest dealings around some gold valves.

If I owned the other shop I would be somewhat riled, having had my reputation marred by such suggestion of dishonest conduct.
Old 11 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
I think it's a bit unfair not clearing one of the shops at least.
Two shops are being referred in this thread and you throw this experience out, suggesting dishonest dealings around some gold valves.

If I owned the other shop I would be somewhat riled, having had my reputation marred by such suggestion of dishonest conduct.
I own the shop that removed the Goldvalves from Geordies forks, so I wish to provide some more details on the matter. The other bloke who had another set of Goldvalves missing and the painted second hand spring was from another suspension tuner.

Back in June 2009 I fitted some Goldvalves into Geordies WR450F forks. These forks need a valving upgrade kit of some sort because the stock compression assembly does not allow normal tuning.

I struggled to get the forks working well for him because I didn't have any experience setting up suspension for a 180kg rider in gear. I also struggled to find springs heavy enough for him. As time went by, I managed to find a heavier shock spring which I swapped over FOC.

It was around this time that I started to test some Phase 4 kits from Smart Performance Inc in the States because of the glowing reviews they were receiving on ThumperTalk. I was getting good results with a few customers and even did quite a bit of riding on these bikes myself. I consulted with the owner of SPI about a setup that would work for a 180kg rider, to which he was confident. So I got Geordies forks back in and replaced one tuning kit with another. So yes, I did remove the Goldvalves but I replaced them with the Phase 4 kit which I thought was an even better product. I did not return them to stock.

Turns out, just like me, the owner of SPI couldn't comprehend the requirements for a 180kg rider. The whole SPI thing was a bit of a flash in the pan and soon disappeared into obscurity. It was a total waste of time and money on my behalf. Lesson learnt.

Upon realising that the SPI kit wasn't working and after Geordie thought he was being ripped off because the shiny Goldvalves were not longer in his forks, we pulled the kit out and refitted the Goldvalves. It was at this stage, that I managed to find some heavier fork springs which I also swapped over FOC.

So there is my side of the story. I've always tried to provide the best service possible and wore the cost of a few upgrades myself. Being called dishonest is a very bitter pill to swallow and unfair.
Old 4 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb79 View Post
I own the shop that removed the Goldvalves from Geordies forks, so I wish to provide some more details on the matter. The other bloke who had another set of Goldvalves missing and the painted second hand spring was from another suspension tuner.

Back in June 2009 I fitted some Goldvalves into Geordies WR450F forks. These forks need a valving upgrade kit of some sort because the stock compression assembly does not allow normal tuning.

I struggled to get the forks working well for him because I didn't have any experience setting up suspension for a 180kg rider in gear. I also struggled to find springs heavy enough for him. As time went by, I managed to find a heavier shock spring which I swapped over FOC.

It was around this time that I started to test some Phase 4 kits from Smart Performance Inc in the States because of the glowing reviews they were receiving on ThumperTalk. I was getting good results with a few customers and even did quite a bit of riding on these bikes myself. I consulted with the owner of SPI about a setup that would work for a 180kg rider, to which he was confident. So I got Geordies forks back in and replaced one tuning kit with another. So yes, I did remove the Goldvalves but I replaced them with the Phase 4 kit which I thought was an even better product. I did not return them to stock.

Turns out, just like me, the owner of SPI couldn't comprehend the requirements for a 180kg rider. The whole SPI thing was a bit of a flash in the pan and soon disappeared into obscurity. It was a total waste of time and money on my behalf. Lesson learnt.

Upon realising that the SPI kit wasn't working and after Geordie thought he was being ripped off because the shiny Goldvalves were not longer in his forks, we pulled the kit out and refitted the Goldvalves. It was at this stage, that I managed to find some heavier fork springs which I also swapped over FOC.

So there is my side of the story. I've always tried to provide the best service possible and wore the cost of a few upgrades myself. Being called dishonest is a very bitter pill to swallow and unfair.
Dave at the point i had my WR i was 130kg i don't wear 50kg of gear noone does shame you didn't tell mw then you didn't know what to do for someone my size and i'd of gone elsewhere instead of wasting so much time fiting test riding and removing suspension to travel 65k's each way to you for adjustments to do it again infact i go sick of i just lived with the bike for some time then i rode simon wr you did he was 85kg or so and recontacted you to say even if you copy the set you have have in simon's bike it will be better then how it is no pretty sad that was how i felt after to time and money i'd spent and that the way you set it up 1st off was pretty good til it blow through the stroke and tried to fix that and change springs etc then it turned to poo.

at no point do i recall you telling me you took the gold valves out or swapping for another product and is just as likely a story someone may give if they were caught out i have know idea what was in there that you removed it wasn't until i stripped the forks to install new seals and see what was going on as much as i could myself as the bike handled so poorly that i noted the not "shiny" standard base valves were in there

I'm happy to return the 2 sets of gold valves you told me i needed in my crf forks to make them work better because ffrc have one set way better without them
and the set of 990 spring you sold me that are several spring rates to heavy for my crf450x with me on it. you recall when i called to asking why the wipe line was 80mm up the tube when launching it off erosion mounds and you said that was fine and i didn't need to use all the stroke seems i found the reason

so thats about $700 i didn't need to spend there and that's dishonesty to me
Old 3 Hours Ago
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Good on you for stepping up and responding

Quote:
I own the shop that removed the Goldvalves from Geordies forks...

...So I got Geordies forks back in and replaced one tuning kit with another. So yes, I did remove the Goldvalves but I replaced them with the Phase 4 kit which I thought was an even better product...
Can you clear something up? When I have had valving parts replaced/upgraded in the past by Terry he has returned the original components (springs and pistons) which I thought was good as it meant I was reasonably sure that I hadn't just paid for new bits when it was just my original bits in there. Did you return the Goldvalves you had removed? Given the OP was surprised that the GV's weren't in there when he looked I would assume you didn't, in which case I have to ask whether this is "standard practice" for you?

If it isn't standard practice to return the bits removed, might I suggest that you make it your policy to do that in future? That way you're less likely to have a customer feeling duped because they discover what they have differs to what they believe they have.

Once again, I applaud you for replying and defending yourself as it would have been all too easy for you to just remain silent and hope it blew over.
Old 3 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Good on you for stepping up and responding

Can you clear something up? When I have had valving parts replaced/upgraded in the past by Terry he has returned the original components (springs and pistons) which I thought was good as it meant I was reasonably sure that I hadn't just paid for new bits when it was just my original bits in there. Did you return the Goldvalves you had removed? Given the OP was surprised that the GV's weren't in there when he looked I would assume you didn't, in which case I have to ask whether this is "standard practice" for you?

If it isn't standard practice to return the bits removed, might I suggest that you make it your policy to do that in future? That way you're less likely to have a customer feeling duped because they discover what they have differs to what they believe they have.

Once again, I applaud you for replying and defending yourself as it would have been all too easy for you to just remain silent and hope it blew over.

I always return the stock components, be they springs, bushes, valves etc to the customer. Sometimes the customer doesn't want to take the worn parts so we throw them in the bin after showing them to them.

The first time I did the job, he would have got all the stock parts returned.

Later on, I swapped the Goldvalves for another tuning kit of the same value. He was not charged for this, so it was an exchange, hence he didn't receive any parts. Afterwards we simply swapped them back again.
Old 3 Hours Ago
DBW Clubman

Here's my .02 worth.

Anyone I know ( it's a few ) that sent their shit to MPE in the last few years sent it back. But I hasten to add, was very happy once they got it back the second time.

A mate sent his '14 KTM 300 stuff to Suspension matters, his forks are without doubt THE best USD fork I've ever experienced. Not just a good compromise, I could rattle on like I was describing the nuances of a fine Chardonnay, but in essence, they have that Cadillac super plush feel in a first few inches of travel that keep and then progressive resistance you work through the travel.

I got FFRC to do mine. I gave as much input as I could. They told me they get plenty of work from Suspension Matters, oddly I think he says the same!

The shock was a HUGE improvement over stock. HUGE. I've always considered a shock to just be there but traction improved out of sight. The forks, eh.. I think they did the best with what they had. I have wound every adjuster completely off to nothing on shock and fork. That's were it works best for me. I would consider returning the bike and discussing with FFRC but, I am about 30kg ( seriously ) over what i was when I got it done and have not ridden anything since August.

I've had suspension done by someone else 3 other times. I got the guy at the old Gaythorne Yamaha to set up my CR250 for dirt track he also did my XR600 for trail riding and NAILED it completely.

Lastly, I had Chris Smith from X Rated Suspension matters do my GSXR 600 track bike. He is Mike Smith's dad, the Australian Super Sport champ and ASBK rider and international competitor. Chris was responsible for all the bikes at the pointy end of the competition I was in, lap record bikes..

He told where to buy the Ohlins fork insert kit, Gold Valves and springs, gave me a few options, I went with Hard Racing in North Carolina, they sell every thing from a Methanol carb for a 350 chev to turbo parts for a rally Subaru to bike parts. EVERYTHING.

I got it all together, took it to his house and he did it all on his patio. He had all the proper shock filling gizmo's, Ohlins oil and a couple of German Shephards licking the back of my leg as I held stuff and passed him tools, I think it was Christmas Eve.

The best thing: At the track, he'd wander by, how's going? Oh Chris I'm experiencing this and wondering about that. He askes for a T bar and socket, sharpie, screw driver. Fettle fettle...

I went THREE seconds a lap quicker almost immediately.

That's HUGE.. And I continued to go quicker. But till then I'd hit a wall, metaphorically speaking.

I actually thought of giving him a crack at my Beta suspension despite his Road Racing speciality.

What to take from all this?? Try and understand basic suspension principles and I mean BASIC, you don't need a degree. Take mental notes about what you are experiencing on your bike, what gives you the shits and what you wish it did better.

Tell the guy who's doing your suspension. Don't try and diagnose it, like I think it's got too much rebound or whatever. Just what it's doing in terms of riding and feel.

Or ignore the everything I just typed, I wouldn't know shit from chewed dates.

Last edited by Johnno_Ipswich; 1 Hour Ago at 08:34 PM.
Old 53 Minutes Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:

Kudos to you Dave. Good on you for responding.