dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenaz View Post
Was initially setup up for someone a little heavier than me but the difference was sub 10kg from memory so I left it.
Generally we work on about a 10kg range for springs. So with the difference being less than 10kg, it may not need new springs. The exception here is if the previous rider was already on the lower end of his 10kg range. You being as little as a few kg, could put you in the next rate down.

Have you set the sag correctly?
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenaz View Post
Attended the Transmoto 6hr today, jeez these guys put on a great event.

Track was tough with lots of off camber corners and roots/rocks. I rode my Beta 300rr for the first two laps and then took a mates KX450 out. Apart from the fact that it is setup for him 10kg heavier, and its WAY more power than I can handle the thing turned in a lot better and gave me heaps more confidence in the (want to say bull dust but sure its not) dusty corners.

Can you ever get the same turn in confidence (I know it will never be as planted) with a 2t?
First up it a MX bike and nothing like your BETA set up.

The KX could just be a better package that simple, or your bike you have not found the sweet spot yet, it takes time have you....
stuffed around with rear shock pre load adjustments
adjusted fork height etc

a few mm hear and there can make the difference you maybe chasing.

yes a 2 stroke can be just as good, better i would say than a 4 stroke, in turn in and front end "Planted" feel
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Did both bike's you rode at the 6 hr have the same tyre?

At the moment I am loving the Michelin Starcross 5 soft 90/100, I remember when I first tried one (I'm on my second now) I was blown away by it.

It has a massive footprint the knobs nearly touch my fork guards, and that footprint translates to traction.

I also run a steering damper which I love.

Playing around with fork heights I have had my 2-stroke so planted that I didn't like it, it wasn't flickable enough for my liking.

Another thing I notice out on the trails is that the average Joe doesn't even bleed the air from their forks. I have speed bleeders and will bleed them during the day while stopping for a chat or waiting for someone. While standing on the left side, I turn the bars to the right and pull the bike up on the side stand to get the front wheel off the ground, then hit the little one way valves to bleed the air.

Majority of people have no idea what I'm doing. You can notice the difference after just an hr or so of riding, and yet so many people don't ever bleed them at all. And they're missing out on that plush front end that gobbles up little tree roots and so forth like they're not there.

"Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God."John 3:5
"Not one dyno run here has seen a 450 4T hit 8HP or a 500-530cc 4T hit 10HP at 3000rpm, EVERY KTM300 pull is over 12HP at the same revs." Expert Tuner
Current bike: 2013 Berg 300. Previous: 2006 KTM 300, 2004 KTM 250 EXC, Husky TE 350, DT 200, KDX 200, XT 200, XR 80, XR 75, RM 50
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
First up it a MX bike and nothing like your BETA set up.

The KX could just be a better package that simple, or your bike you have not found the sweet spot yet, it takes time have you....
stuffed around with rear shock pre load adjustments
adjusted fork height etc

a few mm hear and there can make the difference you maybe chasing.

yes a 2 stroke can be just as good, better i would say than a 4 stroke, in turn in and front end "Planted" feel

Yeah I get that they couldn't be further apart not only from a design brief but from an engineering point of view as well being different purpose machines and manufacturers. But I guess thats what Im asking. Is jt the design brief/engineering i.e. geometry, chassis, suspension etc or simply setup.

I'll have a play with the settings you suggest. I only get to ride once a month so tend to just jump on and ride as I want to make the most of every minute. Bad form I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian9toes View Post
Did both bike's you rode at the 6 hr have the same tyre?

At the moment I am loving the Michelin Starcross 5 soft 90/100, I remember when I first tried one (I'm on my second now) I was blown away by it.

It has a massive footprint the knobs nearly touch my fork guards, and that footprint translates to traction.

I also run a steering damper which I love.

Playing around with fork heights I have had my 2-stroke so planted that I didn't like it, it wasn't flickable enough for my liking.

Another thing I notice out on the trails is that the average Joe doesn't even bleed the air from their forks. I have speed bleeders and will bleed them during the day while stopping for a chat or waiting for someone. While standing on the left side, I turn the bars to the right and pull the bike up on the side stand to get the front wheel off the ground, then hit the little one way valves to bleed the air.

Majority of people have no idea what I'm doing. You can notice the difference after just an hr or so of riding, and yet so many people don't ever bleed them at all. And they're missing out on that plush front end that gobbles up little tree roots and so forth like they're not there.

Not sure what tyre he was running but I have the same Starcross as you. I also have a scotts damper which came off my Kato juts haven't gotten around to buying the adapter for my Beta, primarily because it won't be a long term bike.

I had the speed bleeders on my Kato too but don't fit the sachs unfortunately. So I only bleed my forks before I ride but not during, funnily enough my mate who owned the Kwaka did it after his first stint, along with some other suspension changes to help absorb some of the rocks.