dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 02-09-2005
dbw Pro Legend

Enlighten Me FOHVA?

Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Legend

There's a story about it in the latest TBAM. Basically, the bike industry didn't cough up enough $$$ for Daryl Petch to earn a subsistence living from FOHVA. He's got a family and kids to look after so that was a shame and typical of some of the short sightedness of the industry IMHO.

But then negotiations started with MA who recognised that they couldn't JUST look after racing and expect to survive when the HUGE growth of off road riding was on the recreational side. So they've effectively 'merged', and Daryl is employed by MA to do the same as he was doing with FOHVA. It should give him a bigger national platform to work off, and MA need all the intellectual property, ideas and networks that FOHVA has built up to now.

As I understand it, existing FOHVA members become MA members of their 'rider division' or something. I'll wait for the form to arrive, fill it in and join. MA doesn't have the best reputation for innovation and entrepreneurship., but Daryl will inject some of his mojo into the outfit and we'll have better outcomes for trail and quad riders everywhere. All up, should be a good result.
Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Champion

Does anyone in the bike industry make enough money to support a family?

Too many toys... Not enough time to use them all!
Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGJAM
Does anyone in the bike industry make enough money to support a family?
Funny you should mention that... I was thinking of all the tour operators I know and nearly all of them have a day job, without which they'd starve. The exception is Roy Kunda at Cape York.

Mags aren't much better off, by the way.

But if the money had to go anywhere, my vote would be for the manufacturers to divert some of the funds from racing into support for trail riding through FOHVA/MA or DSMRA etc. Without funds and professionals employed to work on our behalf, we're sitting ducks.
Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Champion

I went for an advertising job with a well known dirtbike mag a while back, On the third inteview I was handed the pay packet figures, I fell over. Dreams shattered!

I still only can afford to work part time for a shop, with my full time job (day job) creating the funds required to live (and to live in Sydney at that)

Shame really.

I feel for all who work fulltime in this industry! Actually I feel for all who have to work at all!

Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Legend

Yeah, work is an interruption to riding time.

Did you factor in "the buff" to the ad sales job? That can be worth a lot. But you can't eat it.
Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Champion

Yeah still not there. But I would get to work for "the coolest mag" and "it's a foot in the door" apparently... Still didn't sell me!

My current day job supplies a car, they always refer back to the car, but I can't eat the car!

Anyways I'm off topic and stuff!

I'd love to work full time in the industry, but it's way to much of a life style commitent (a poor one) and there's more to life then bikes!

Ultimately it's a luxury industry, not a transport industry (hobbiest over requirement) though that's just my thoughts.

Old 03-09-2005
Travelling Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIGJAM
My current day job supplies a car, they always refer back to the car, but I can't eat the car!
with petrol prices going the way they are, a company car would be a godsend, I know our two services blokes love em
Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Legend

All nice???

Old 03-09-2005
dbw Pro Champion

We tried the clean up thing, on Aus clean up day. We only had about 7 people DBW WIDE... Heaps say they will help but all these family do's seem to fall on the same weekend, every year...