dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Hero

4WD lifting suspension - enlighten me

OK - I know this is DIRTBIKEWORLD - but I also know there are quite a few of you out there with fourbies.

I use mine for work. Driving offroad in sand dune, rock, channel country in the Simpson, Sturt's Stony and Strezlecki Desert areas on rough bull-dozed tracks.

It takes a hammering - 2004 100 series Cruiser wagon (Kakadu - I like leather and comfort). Now it needs a re-furb in the suspension department and I haven't got a clue. I've been doing some net research but I thought I'd ask people on here.

I ma thinking 2" lift kit, all new rubbers, ball joints etc. Lift kits vary in price hugely.

I am thinking EFS or

Fulcrum using Bilstein shocks and their patented poly-urethane mount "rubbers".

Anyone got any experience or tips.
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Addict

King springs & Bilstein shocks is what I have had in all my trucks including my current , and is the most popular amongst my touring crew .

Fulcrum sell good gear .

2 inch is plenty for a tourer .
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
OK - I know this is DIRTBIKEWORLD - but I also know there are quite a few of you out there with fourbies.

I use mine for work. Driving offroad in sand dune, rock, channel country in the Simpson, Sturt's Stony and Strezlecki Desert areas on rough bull-dozed tracks.

It takes a hammering - 2004 100 series Cruiser wagon (Kakadu - I like leather and comfort). Now it needs a re-furb in the suspension department and I haven't got a clue. I've been doing some net research but I thought I'd ask people on here.

I ma thinking 2" lift kit, all new rubbers, ball joints etc. Lift kits vary in price hugely.

I am thinking EFS or

Fulcrum using Bilstein shocks and their patented poly-urethane mount "rubbers".

Anyone got any experience or tips.
I know nothing of your model, but consider the well known advice on yota forums for that model. If its has IFS or IRS there might be some limitations or considerations?

I did some of those tracks and i reckon stock is easily fine, if you are doing suspension anyway i would do the lift you can do that promises no issues with CVs, seals or shafts that pop out. Clearance is great, but traction, economy, endurance and handling is king on those tracks.
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Hero

Only got experience with 1 off custom jobs, Bilsteins are good BUT urethane is shitful for pivots, it's OK for mounting blocks.

Last edited by Tom68; 23-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Hero

Here's a couple of vids I took the other day. You can tell it's on the original shocks. I am probably doing about 20kmh - maybe less. The tracks may look smooth but they are just newly bull-dozed tracks and are left fairly rough.

No editing has been done at all - just handheld footage from my HTC - music is whatever was on the ipad at the time. Sorry.

Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Legend

I've got Old Man Emu on my Prado and it's shithouse!never again,ARB overpriced garbage!
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Legend

I had Old Man Emu on my 100 series, was very happy with it, was middle of the range price wise from memory.
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro Legend

I was happy with mine until about 40k then it turned to puss!
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro

Talk to these guys .... Shane from Suspention stuff

www.suspensionstuff.com.au

He really knows his stuff and has the best prices going.
He is a good honest bloke

He has steered me in the right direction every time ( see what i did there LOL )
Old 23-11-2012
dbw Pro

Old man emu