dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

View Poll Results: would you post more rides AND honor the number limits on other posted rides ?
Yes - I would post more rides AND I will honour 'limited number' rides 26 52.00%
I wont post more rides, but I will honour 'limited number' rides 23 46.00%
No - I wont post more rides AND I wont honour the numbers 1 2.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-04-2007
dbw Factory Pro

Posted Rides - limited number rides - would they work ?

As discussed in a previous thread, it would appear that the lack of posted rides is mainly due to concern about numbers. Too many riders causes excessive dust and therefore increases risk and reduces the overall enjoyment.

This poll is aimed at ride organisers and ride attendees - some people are generally organisers others are generally attendees.
Personally, I am generally an 'attendee' - I'm not fast, and I dont have great track memory - so dont consider myself a natural lead rider.
(Note: a GPS will improve the memory aspect, but the speed issue may never improve greatly :-) )

My question is - If rides were posted with a limit on riders, would you post more rides AND honor the number limits on other posted rides ?

Interested to see the results to see if we can increase the number of rides that are posted by having an 'in principal' agreement regarding 'limited number' rides.

cheers,
edge
Club Mud #231
WR450 '07 - oh yeah !
WR450 '05 - gone
WR426 '01 - long gone
Google Rocks!
Old 21-04-2007
dbw Pro Addict

Good topic Edge!

I tend to enjoy my riding in smaller groups so network more than post rides.

I also tend to get suckered into leading, not sure why as I am a pretty average hack....

Might consider posting more rides but keep the numbers to 6-8 while it is dusty.

I spose the other thing I think off is a sweep rider for posted rides as when I ride with my mates we just seem to work it out and know where everyone is and swap around.
Old 21-04-2007
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyt View Post
I tend to enjoy my riding in smaller groups so network more than post rides.
I also tend to get suckered into leading, not sure why as I am a pretty average hack....
Might consider posting more rides but keep the numbers to 6-8 while it is dusty.
I spose the other thing I think off is a sweep rider for posted rides as when I ride with my mates we just seem to work it out and know where everyone is and swap around.
from what I have heard pauly, you know some great tracks - that explains why your leading !!
Sweep - yes same, if its a group that you know and similar skill levels it can be left loose, but if in doubt its best to nominate a sweep and then alternate throughout the day.
Club Mud #231
WR450 '07 - oh yeah !
WR450 '05 - gone
WR426 '01 - long gone
Google Rocks!
Old 21-04-2007
Shrek

I think you'll find once you have done a ride you end picking people to ride with, with the same likes/skill level etc as yourself.
That's why not many rides are posted, I organise all my rides via phone and pm's.

I know this doesn't address your numbers question.
Old 21-04-2007
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
I think you'll find once you have done a ride you end picking people to ride with, with the same likes/skill level etc as yourself.
That's why not many rides are posted, I organise all my rides via phone and pm's.

I know this doesn't address your numbers question.

You have hit the nail on the head Shrek!!!

Guess thru DBW rides, networking and day to day riding mates you soon work out who you like to ride with and before you know it you have to say no to 3 rides a week and have 5-6 mates ready to ride with on any given day off.

So, I guess when I think about posting rides I already have 3-6 blokes ready to go so why post it and have 20 rock up. While it is good to put a ride on from time to time a big social ride does take away some of the fun for the leader.

Long reply, sorry.....
Old 21-04-2007
Banned

Big rides are dusty sure, but probably not that much more than rides of 4 people. A large field on a dusty day tends to spread out a bit so really you are only ever eating the dust of one or two riders ahead of you.

A slow rider in a small group can really cramp the style of faster riders, but in a bigger group the fasties have a hoot working their way to the front (past the slower riders). Sure the conerman system means a bit of a wait. But is that such a big deal? And yes I have sat on a corner for 45 minutes while someone behind me was changing a flat.

Think about your most memorable rides. They were probably not the ones where everyone just rode hard or to their level of expertise (which happens on 'tailored' rides where everyone invited is of a similar standard). Usually people remember the unplanned events such as carnage on a hill, a breakdown, a bogging etc. The more riders in the group the more chance that something 'unplanned' will happen. In a big group there will invariably be better riders than yourself (to learn from) as well as weaker riders (to hoon past).

Bottom line is that any ride is what you make of it. I been on a road ride with over a thousand bikes. It was noisy and slow but I remember it well. I remember almost every km of the grasscutters ride and the Jimna ride that I was on today. Yet I can only remember snippets out of most of the smaller DBW rides and private social rides.

just my 2c
Old 21-04-2007
dbw Pro Legend

very true pauly.. 90% of the fun rides we have been on were with only 6 riders or so.. Just seems to be more fun with less riders.. mean the group has a more flowing pace. We have been on some big rides and although we dont mind waiting, but when it comes to waiting for over 10minutes it does take away alot of the fun.

The only problem with doing this is the newbies not being given a chance to network themselves because there are never any rides posted. I think it has been at least 2 months since i have seen a grade 2 ride posted up.

I voted "post more rides AND honor the number limits on other posted rides"
Old 21-04-2007
Banned

here's a catch: You post a 4 person ride and only one other shows up. Bummer
Old 21-04-2007
dbw Pro Legend

Nothing to stop an organiser from limiting the riders now. In fact it happens often especially in the grade 3-4 rides where skill and speed are a prerequisite.

Big rides with 20 to 30 riders are more of a social event. These type of rides are great for beginners because of the abundance of helpers and plenty of stops.

The big disadvantage of big rides is the potential for trouble to happen. The more riders the more chance of punctures, breakdowns, falls etc..

At my level of riding (slow and careful) numbers don't really matter. The more the merrier. But at the higher levels then restricted numbers is defiantly the way to go.

Old Al.
Old 21-04-2007
Sherco Flying Circus

In the end its your posted ride and the numbers are totally up to you

Mal

http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/

R.I.P Booma

Verbier My Fav destination

Club Mud#83

1975 XR75 First bike
1988 Husky AE430
2002 VOR 530