dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Rinnai infinity 26 - oscillating water temperature

Attention plumbers & sparkies.
My Rinnai 26 has just started misbehaving after 14 years of faultless operation. When having a shower @ 100% hot flow, the temperature of the hot water will oscillate up-and-down. Iíve opened the cover of the infinity 26 and watched it as it operated with the hot tap running 100% and can see the burner increasing the gas flow and then decreasing the gas flow but there is no controller connected to it to be able to read an error code. Is there a way I can troubleshoot this machine and find out the Error code so I know what to look at and potentially fix/replace?
When running the hot water slow, it fires up with a low flame but then the water temperature gets too hot & I assume the external safety thermal valve opens to dump in cold water as I suspect the water flow through the heater gets too low & it therefore shuts down. Unless itís only a trickle, I would have expected it to fire up & run with a very small flame.
Any thoughts gents?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4BC855FE-9885-447C-B17F-4AA7FA046B06.jpg (118.0 KB, 27 views)

AndrewKTM450
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

i didnt check the flame or anything. But we have same unit and gad similar issue. The water would be hot and cold constantly. it was a blocked filter/valve or something, cost nothing and took him 10min. a plumber friend fixed it...also i called rinai support and they gave me some similar advice, but he'd already fixed it. But it was a few years ago and i've forgotten the details.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Any thoughts gents?... yes... I've several... yet-they are merely those... my thoughts.
Your mentioning oscillating might give you the clue:- It's either the device in charge of managing the oscillating: Or-thus oscillating this/that/the device can't manage.
As suggested; check all filters etc: Think of it as-akin to being fuel-injection with the 'puter trying to compensate for a sporadic flow: It's either the 'puter or the flow.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

After removing the cold water strainer & cleaning it with compressed air (it had virtually not contamination in it anyway), I purchased a controller off Gumtree this afternoon for $70 & plugged it in. This one s the first time itís ever seen a controller.
When I set the temp @ 50C, it worked perfectly with the gas flow remaining constant. If I set it to 55C it started increasing, then decreasing the gas flow. As there is a 50C limiter safety valve teed into the hot outlet, I suspect the water flow through the heater changes as the safety valve cuts in & out, which affects the gas flow. Strange that it has been fine for 14 years though.
Reset the temp to 50C & had 2 showers without incident.
Iím assuming the set temp got bumped up to > 50C which explains the symptoms. The mystery is how?
All good for the moment

AndrewKTM450