dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 03-08-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
Where are you storing your files now? eg the videos you make, your documents, your pics?

Even if using your old computers, O365 is cheap and easy and safe/r. The new outlook is amazing on any device.
Storing on multiple pc's and hard drives, nothing to important, just play around. I have very little content on line, I use Whattsap and it backs up what I need for work.

I've only avoided online storage because I haven't needed it and it's not that long ago it wasn't practical.

My other reluctance is monthly payment withdrawals, I'd rather pay for something upfront or at least make annual payments after recieving a bill.

365 does interest me though.

Operating systems, I'm still happy with XP Pro, it's only the fact that the browsers aren't looking after security on XP that's got me changing.

No doubt when I catch up with the connected world I'll appreciate access to my files anywhere anytime.

Last edited by Tom68; 03-08-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Skype, Microsoft, google, Apple, Google, Facebook, Youtube etc etc etc all have the same privacy issues. eg ALL of the traffic is mirrored and analysed and available to USA Security. This applies even to traffic encrypted by the big certificate authorities...its a little scary if you think about it too much.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_...llance_program)
Agreed. In my case, I have my own mail server (ala Hillary Clinton haha) and Protonmail. Do what I can and if practically possible of course. No facebook or any social media accounts. Apple has fake details and a prepaid Credit Card for auth. No Google. Non Google browsers with no sync or sign in. Fake IDs and names everywhere else since 1996.
Old 03-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
Storing on multiple pc's and hard drives, nothing to important, just play around. I have very little content on line, I use Whattsap and it backs up what I need for work.

I've only avoided online storage because I haven't needed it and it's not that long ago it wasn't practical.

My other reluctance is monthly payment withdrawals, I'd rather pay for something upfront or at least make annual payments after recieving a bill.

365 does interest me though.

Operating systems, I'm still happy with XP Pro, it's only the fact that the browsers aren't looking after security on XP that's got me changing.

No doubt when I catch up with the connected world I'll appreciate access to my files anywhere anytime.
0365 is a single annual payment.
We're all the same on the OS...but you want max security and difficulty to attack you. You end up with all of your files crypto with your current setup (eg lost forever).
OneDrive has version history now...accidentally crypto and sync your files, just roll back. Simples.
I've never been a microsoft fanboy, but O365 is properly awesome and cheap.
Old 03-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Agreed. In my case, I have my own mail server (ala Hillary Clinton haha) and Protonmail. Do what I can and if practically possible of course. No facebook or any social media accounts. Apple has fake details and a prepaid Credit Card for auth. No Google. Non Google browsers with no sync or sign in. Fake IDs and names everywhere else since 1996.
LOL i used to do that...but the whole damn thing is too convenient so i use it normally and as i've gotton older i have nothing interested to uncover so i dont care so much...i dont do any sharing on social media, but i do lots of reading in groups in facebook and i use apple music and spotify premium. My apple account thinks i live in NYC, so does Netflix.
Old 09-08-2018
dbw Pro Hero

The search continues, might have to put my hand in my pocket for 365 yet.

So far I've tried 3 of the 4 I've loaded, Outlook Express is jus to look up old Emails because when I import them into Office Outlook I get multiple repeat folders.

Got Gsuite at work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clients.JPG (10.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Tom68; 09-08-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 09-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Export in OE to PST. There is a duplicate management feature when you do the export or import if i recall properly. Import to O2016. Import into a dedicated folder, prove it works and then shift from there within O2016

I am pretty sure OE was last supported in like 2007? In mechanical terms...its not steam powered...but definitely side valve...keep at it and get off this asap before you lose all of your data.
Old 10-08-2018
DBW Clubman

Quote:
#1. Dont do that!

#2. Do this. If you want a blend of cheap and very lowest fuss.

Buy a computer with latest OS. eg Windows 10 if you like windows or a Mac.

Buy Office 365 for family (i think i pay $100 per year for 5 users). This will give you 5TB of storage (absolutely ****loads if you dont know TB is) enough to store all of your business data and all your photos, documents email and attachments. Give an account to the kids?

You will be able to install Office on 5 machines per user (25 office installs total). You'll be able to access any document or pic from any device in a few seconds, including your mac or your iphone. With one password and url to find everything. The ipHone app automatically backup photos as you take them to online, so you can delete/lose any time and they will all be there 'in the cloud'.

If ever you cant do something, log in, send a message and they will help.

Trust me. This is the very latest, safest and its mother in law level friendly (eg couldnt be easier) and i bet you can claim the expense.

PS: What email service are you using?

What Jimmy said...... Its great, its the way of the future, it works and its easy.
Old 10-08-2018
dbw Pro Hero

I don't bloody know

So T'Bird is ace to use but I hate that donation bs, it doesn't have an android version and it's not a professional product.

Free MS Outlook.com doesn't let me send from my Email address or import my old PST files, don't mind it otherwise. Not game to load a trial of its big brother, 365, based on the lack of info about what you can do with the freebie client I don't want to get in a mess setting up Office that I only need for the client, the rest would be bloatware to me.

Outlook 2007 is pretty crappy and keeps loading folders that don't exist anywhere that I can get to, hidden folders turned off so I'm sure I got rid of every old PST.

GSuite is too unGoogle, no doubt I'd get used to having all those unused tabs etc cluttering the workspace, but I'd prefer not to.

Obviously I don't understand all these digital mail options, but if I can't find anything I like and I'm getting forced into a Browser to do emails anyway. WhyTF wouldn't I just put up with Telstras shitty Webmail and treat that as my client, if in fact that's not what it actually is ???

Last edited by Tom68; 10-08-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
So T'Bird is ace to use but I hate that donation bs, it doesn't have an android version and it's not a professional product.

Free MS Outlook.com doesn't let me send from my Email address or import my old PST files, don't mind it otherwise. Not game to load a trial of its big brother, 365, based on the lack of info about what you can do with the freebie client I don't want to get in a mess setting up Office that I only need for the client, the rest would be bloatware to me.

Outlook 2007 is pretty crappy and keeps loading folders that don't exist anywhere that I can get to, hidden folders turned off so I'm sure I got rid of every old PST.

GSuite is too unGoogle, no doubt I'd get used to having all those unused tabs etc cluttering the workspace, but I'd prefer not to.

Obviously I don't understand all these digital mail options, but if I can't find anything I like and I'm getting forced into a Browser to do emails anyway. WhyTF wouldn't I just put up with Telstras shitty Webmail and treat that as my client, if in fact that's not what it actually is ???
If you cant use Outlook, then windows mail or apple mail are the nest best free thick clients - imo.

So your mail is a bigpond or telstra mail account? If so i would really consider moving off this...eg move to gmail or outlook. It sounds like youre trying to connect outlook.com or gmail to your telstra account?

Where do you keep files/photos?
Old 11-08-2018
dbw Pro Hero

I'm confused

Quote:
If you cant use Outlook, then windows mail or apple mail are the nest best free thick clients - imo.

So your mail is a bigpond or telstra mail account? If so i would really consider moving off this...eg move to gmail or outlook. It sounds like youre trying to connect outlook.com or gmail to your telstra account?

Where do you keep files/photos?
Side note, I was trying to
work from Outlook Beta.
Hence a possible reason for lack of
help available on the net.

Account is Bigpond/Telstra Mail, they changed the name and server settings, seems all of them struggle to name their businesses and products.

Yes running my Telstra email address through the other clients, T'bird did it effortlessly and exactly as I would have hoped it to.

Didn't consider a complete switchover, Telstra account at home is the quivering rock we work from.

In trying to keep everything from the past connected and ongoing I didn't consider changing my email address, i.e **********@bigpond.com would be nice to keep. But if that's keeping me in the dark ages I'll happily bail for more convenience. Having said that changing without linking (if that's possible after dumping Telstra) can bite you on the balls several years later with stuff like seldom used Shipito accounts etc.

When photobucket had their dummy spit I responded likewise and deleted my account. Point being whilst I have some imgBB and youtube content/storage if they disappear tomorrow I don't care.

I'm a hoarder materially and digitally but if it all disappeared overnight I'd appreciate the reduced clutter in my life more than the loss would upset me.

P.S Thanks for the advice Jimmy.

EDIT...What was I saying about product names, got a reply from what I call Free Outlook.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ........Nah just quoting.....Outlook.com Support
Unfortunately, at this time, Outlook.com does not support pst files. Pst files can only be made and used on Outlook application.
Well don't call it fkg Outlook then.

How's this crap, found the combine option in settings but this is how it loads standard, splits your inbox, if you don't toggle you don't see all your inbox.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bs.JPG (25.8 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Tom68; 11-08-2018 at 04:47 PM.