dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Health, Well Being & Fitness

Old 06-07-2016
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
I do recall some dumb-ass mechanic giving you identical advice to this straight after the crash...that thing isn't healing well/straight enough to be fully functional for riding IMO. I may be a dopey old near-pensioner but I reckon I've seen as many moto-crash x-rays as any doctor...
i recall wishing him well with the upcoming surgery ...

jeez, the crack of doom nickname is taking on a whole new meaning ...
Old 06-07-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Quote:
I do recall some dumb-ass mechanic giving you identical advice to this straight after the crash...that thing isn't healing well/straight enough to be fully functional for riding IMO. I may be a dopey old near-pensioner but I reckon I've seen as many moto-crash x-rays as any doctor...
Fair call.

Incidentally, this was a different ortho to the one I first saw, and he did say that he thinks I did the right thing waiting to see if it would heal because it was a 50:50 call based on the initial X-rays. But at this stage it is fairly clear that I should go with the surgery.
Old 06-07-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Fair call.

Incidentally, this was a different ortho to the one I first saw, and he did say that he thinks I did the right thing waiting to see if it would heal because it was a 50:50 call based on the initial X-rays. But at this stage it is fairly clear that I should go with the surgery.
The problem is this Deano, most Orthos think the majority of 30+ folks doing an office job sit on their arse all weekend watching movies. Very few of them understand the physical nature of riding dirt scooters.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 22-07-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Well, it's 3 long and unpleasant months now and the bloody thing still isn't healed. Had an X-ray on Monday and the report said "there is no evidence of union at present" So I saw the Ortho yesterday fully expecting him to say that we were now at a point where surgery is necessary, but was staggered when he said that it was about what he would expect at the 3 month mark!

I just don't understand why he seems so reluctant to operate and plate the thing. I have now "lost" a quarter of the year, and there is still no clear end in sight as to when I can expect the bone to be considered healed. My muscles around my right scapula are constantly sore and knotted because I am holding the shoulder stable. When I relax the muscles I feel it "pulling" where the break is to the point where it is not just uncomfortable, it is sore and I naturally end up tensing the muscles again. I have to sleep on my back and when I do roll onto my side if I am not woken up immediately from the pain, I am woken eventually with a deep ache where the break is. When I try to use my arm "normally" there are some positions where it hurts to the point where I wince and cease the activity e.g lifting the duvet on the bed, putting on my jacket when the arm has to reach behind me, reaching around to my right arm to wash it in the shower.

That leaves me wondering whether the downsides of having the bone plated and then the plate later removed (when the bone is presumably healed in the correct shape and position) outweigh the pain and discomfort I will have to continue to endure for what sounds like might be the next 2 or 3 months? And what might the longer term impacts on my life be from the bone healing shorter (due to the overlap of the fractured bones) and in an unusual shape? Will the overall strength of the bone be compromised as a result of the misshaped bone? And if the break doesn't heal (fibrous non-union?) then will the ability to "fix" the bone by surgery be compromised the longer I leave it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bente View Post
...Surgery can be hit and miss...
Any chance you can elaborate on what the "miss" part might be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgibson View Post
regarding surgery ( I work with an orthopaedic surgeon), the only indication really is to get back to full function a bit quicker.
I had a CT scan done yesterday afternoon after seeing the surgeon as he said that will give a better idea of whether the bone really is healing or not. The CT report says "There is an overlapping fracture of the middle third of the right clavicle with attempted healing/periosteal reaction, there is no evidence of union at present."

That, to me as a layman, does not sound like it it healing... am I wrong? I see the surgeon again on Monday and am going to ask him why he is so reluctant to operate. Anyone with experience able to share anything?
Old 22-07-2016
DBW Clubman

Hey man that's no good. I can only say what I learnt from my experience and I remember the er doctor and my gp apprehensive when I mentioned a pinning operation. I asked my gp also I think he said, or I got the impression it's complicated in there with nerves etc and I think he actually said something along the lines of hit and miss, can't really remember. I had no feeling in end of my fingers at that time and the Drs all missed a ****ed wrist which had me out for the last year and then had an expensive op removing a bone from my wrist. The er doc actually got a call from my surgeon then phoned me to apologise for missing it, I've never heard of that happening before. Anyway best I can say is get more opinions from Drs Untill you feel happy. I've broken both scapulars and collarbone like yours in the last few years,, I think over 40 the Drs start looking at your body like a car with 150000km on it. Not worth spending too much on it.
Old 01-08-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

So my surgeon relented and decided to operate and plate the broken bone last Tuesday - no less than 3 MONTHS after I broke it. A CT showed that one of the gaps wasn't showing signs of healing, even though the others had already started forming calluses. I got my 1 week X-ray of my "hardware upgrade" this morning. Gotta say, I expected 3 or 4 screws, but not 9!!! I'm feeling more-or-less how I felt after 3 weeks on "conservative" (non-surgical) treatment now at just under 1 week since the surgery. Makes me wonder why the surgeon didn't just operate and plate it first time I saw him?

Old 01-08-2016
DBW Clubman

Wow, I might just be jealous of your hardware. Does all that come back out in one go
Old 01-08-2016
dbw Factory Pro

Might have been a bit worse than expected when they chopped you up so added a few extra screws for good measure.
I had a similar thing was expecting 4-5 screws ended up with 15.
Old 01-08-2016
The "One" and only

Quote:
The problem is this Deano, most Orthos think the majority of 30+ folks doing an office job sit on their arse all weekend watching movies. Very few of them understand the physical nature of riding dirt scooters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Makes me wonder why the surgeon didn't just operate and plate it first time I saw him
Already covered my friend...

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 02-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

It's pretty simple why they don't all operate when the patient requests it- it is not risk free and it is not always required. Clearly, based on your most recent CT, there was some healing going on but there was not yet union ( ie healed). The plate you've had 'installed', provides anatomical alignment so the natural process of healing can occur-it's a splint.
Many surgeons wouldn't know a trailbike if it fell on them and would have no idea of the upper and lower body strength required to ride.
Glad your now fixed!