Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 19-08-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

The New Ohlins TTX Flow Shock

Just came across this on the Ohlins site: https://www.ohlins.com/ttx-flow/

Quote:

The New TTX Flow

The brand new TTX Flow allows you to ride fast and safely with improved traction, stability and grip. Developed for racers, this shock is also recommended for those who want to ride on the golden Ohlins suspension and really feel the difference. The TTX Flow calms down the chassis to keep you focused on setting fast lap times and win races.

We started with a clean sheet of paper in designing this new ground breaking shock absorber. With our TTX Technology and patent pending internal pressure regulation, this new shock is a huge step forward compared to previous models. You will feel that the response is quicker, more consistent and more predictable than ever before, allowing the TTX Flow to deliver a smoother roll on bumpy terrain which calms down the chassis for corner entry and eases the bikes handling through turns. It's almost like the TTX Flow shock absorber is communicating while you're racing, sensing your next move!

Without any trade-offs, the TTX Flow excels in all areas compared to previous models. The TTX Flow gives the bike improved traction, comfort and predictability which enhance the stability of the bike. It's also easy to adjust to find the perfect setting for the track and riding style. The result is clearly felt by the rider when cutting seconds from previous lap times and still riding in the safest way possible.

The technical side

I've been at Ohlins for three years, always in the motocross department and TTX Flow is my first 'drawing board to race track' product so I'm pretty excited. In 2014, we hosted a MX test and the feedback the riders gave made us completely rethink the way a shock absorber should work on one of these machines.

In simple terms, a motocross shock has to deal with a complex, simultaneous set of forces which it struggles to cope with. From our early analysis we built a crude prototype which showed our new theory to work and gave us direction for a production unit. A motocross shock has 'hits' which disturb the system and therefore destabilizes the balance of the bike. It needs to 'forget' about each of these very quickly (in less than a 100th of a second). An example of this would be as a rider goes up the face of a big jump and also hits small, rough bumps at the same time.

We retained our TTX (Twin Tube) Technology but worked extensively on a new 'check-valve' system to balance wide valve openings and quick open/close actions to handle a large volume of oil flow. This required a new spool valve system as opposed to the more conventional shim-valve type. Basically it has been redesigned for each force upon it to be dealt with and 'forgotten' as quickly as possible, for fast recovery and keeping the stability of the bike.

The new system cancels out the smaller hits and keeps the chassis stable for the big jump. The test riders found that this was one major improvement, as was the stability of the bike over 'braking bumps' which absorbs the harsh hits and does not make the rear wheel go light. There were also big benefits under acceleration, filtering out bumps at the rear end.

Another major design criteria of the new flow shock was to make it much more rider/mechanic friendly. Maybe our previous shocks were a little complex for the average rider so we looked afresh at every component. The result is a shock with far less parts and complexity, which we have achieved without sacrificing any performance or functionality.

It is a nice feeling to be responsible for an all new motocross shock in this, our 40th anniversary year, when our first product and our heritage was created for dirtbikes!

Erik Hansson, R&D Engineer (MX Department)
I don't know much about "Spool Valves" so did a quick search and found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVjKV74sAQ

It'll be interesting to see how easy it is to tune the shock - I'm guessing that because you can't simply swap and shuffle shims it won't be that cheap to do as it'll require different spools (like the WP Cone Valves require different cones and seats I guess).

It'll be interesting to see how these go for Enduro and Trail riding too when they become available.
Old 19-08-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Unfortunately there ar eonly pics of the outside of the shocks, no internals

Old 19-08-2016
dbw Pro Legend

I do love how you can adjust both comps and rebound with no tools.
Old 16-04-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Check this out KTM/ Yamaha IT/ Penton Jackpiner.

Old 16-04-2017
DBW Dweller

Do love that look. I pretty sure you can get the same plastics/look for even the new katos. But it makes wish Yamaha got the hint and brought back the IT.... And a 300!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Has anyone tried the new Ohlins Flow shock ?

2013 Ktm150Sx

2006 Ktm200Exc
Old 21-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowser View Post
I do love how you can adjust both comps and rebound with no tools.
The comp adjuster is very hard to reach around the left side panel on the 17 EXC's. The adjusters are also a little tight, but I suspect these will loosen up with use.
Old 21-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffie View Post
Has anyone tried the new Ohlins Flow shock ?
Yep. I've ridden on one very briefly in a 17 EXC.

I know someone that has tested and prefers the Ohlins over a Trax shock in his 17 EXC. I also know some guys that are loving the Ohlins in their Yamaha's.

Trouble is, there are no more 17 PDS Ohlins left. If you want one, you have to wait until the 18 model run becomes available.
Old 21-04-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Spool valve should look a bit more like this. It's from a high end car shock (DSSV) by Mutimatic. IMG_4648.JPG