dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 23-03-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Fuel pump connector operation

Can someone tell me how these connectors on the KTM 690 fuel pump operate?
I have squeezed pushed and prodded with no success and I don't want to break anything.
Old 07-04-2014
dbw Pro

They are efi fuel connections, apparently there is a special tool you can buy from super cheap,
I know this cause I had to pull my fuel pump out of a berg fe390 as it cuts out intermittently when it's hot.

If you like me and can't wait to get it off this is what I did.

Find some plastic like off a ice cream lid cut a strip about half inch width and long enough so you can handle it.

If you have a look at the connections you will see four tabs around the pipe using a small screwdriver just make sure they are moving and then once you have done that slide the plastic strip between the tabs and the fuel hose connection and then wiggle it until it comes out. It took me a bit to get the first on but the second one was quick.

Did your pump fail? Or does it fail after a period of time once you have been riding?
Old 07-04-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret82 View Post
They are efi fuel connections, apparently there is a special tool you can buy from super cheap,
I know this cause I had to pull my fuel pump out of a berg fe390 as it cuts out intermittently when it's hot.

If you like me and can't wait to get it off this is what I did.

Find some plastic like off a ice cream lid cut a strip about half inch width and long enough so you can handle it.

If you have a look at the connections you will see four tabs around the pipe using a small screwdriver just make sure they are moving and then once you have done that slide the plastic strip between the tabs and the fuel hose connection and then wiggle it until it comes out. It took me a bit to get the first on but the second one was quick.

Did your pump fail? Or does it fail after a period of time once you have been riding?
Very detailed instructions thank you, however I have avoided fiddling with them and installed a new cycle works pump from KTM Twins. I will be ordering a spare as my bike has just under 4000 klms on it.

Interesting to hear your symptoms as yes mine would allow the bike to run for 5 -10 minutes and then cut out. I can connect it now and it will buzz into life, however it must be faulty as the new one has fixed the problem.
Old 07-04-2014
dbw Pro

With the old one put it into a bucket of water just so the pump suction is covered and then with hot water from a kettle poor it in and you will find that the pump will cut out. The outta casing will be hot and once cooled down it will restart again. Did your pump set you back a lot?
There is a site on eBay who are giving a lifetime warranty on pumps and they are about $70 + 20 to get it here from the states. Life time warranty got me interested.
Old 07-04-2014
dbw Pro Champion

the cycle works one was about double that but half the cost of a KTM.
I would be interested to see the ebay link.

I serviced my Husky TE450 filter on the same weekend and the pump appeared to be exactly the same physical dimension unit as the the KTM and probably interchangable.