dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Organise a Ride for Yourself. > Victoria Rides

Victoria Rides Proudly sponsored by www.mototrailsoz.com.au

Old 05-11-2008
dbw Pro Legend

EOI: Camping the Otways 28th Ride 29th

Gday chaps and chapettes,

This is just a heads up/EOI to say that I'll be heading down the Otways on a fairly regular basis over this summer. Looking at primarily the Wye River to Kennett River area but will travel further if required.

This weekend I'm going down in the 4x4 to check out a few of the more out of the way camp spots, that are still fairly close to the beach. Hoping to find some places which won't get too busy over this peak period. Or at least give a few options in case first pick gets taken before we get down there.
How are the rangers down that way? IE if you camp somewhere that isn't a designated camp spot, are you likely to get caught/dumped in the shit?

Over the following months I'm looking to head down on the Friday night, camp and ride Saturday morning and do some surf fishing/drinking in the afternoon when it's too hot to ride.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before and has any tips?

Is anyone interested in joining us for a bit of riding, fishing and lots of drinking?
Old 06-11-2008
Have YOU been Tallarised?????

Sounds good to me

I ride down that way fairly regularly and may catch up for a quick squirt over summer...

Maybe send a pm when your going

Cheers talla
Old 06-11-2008
dbw Pro Addict

Location: island jungle where dreams will come true, down here where we all screw
Definatly a goer. A few mates and I did the camp, ride into wye river countery and a beer, ride back to camp, beers sat arvo last year, keen as mustard.
Old 06-11-2008
dbw Post Master

I'd be interested in tagging along here and there.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Old 07-11-2008
dbw Pro Legend

No worries. I'll be taking photos of a few camp spots and will post them up in this thread when I get back. Then when we work out a time, we can collectively work out which spot will suit.
My aim is to get something near to the beach so I can fish and the people who don't ride have something to do while we're off having fun.
Old 09-11-2008
dbw Pro Champion hillclimbing mountain goat.

keep me in the loop monkey, could even stay at the caravan park in wye river or kennet and trailer em in and out??
Old 10-11-2008
dbw Pro Legend

That's certainly a possibility but my concern is availability at this time of year. I haven't made enquiries as yet but my guess is the trailer parks will be hit and miss. Certainly a practical solution and nice having a hot shower after a days ride too! The big problem with trailer parks is noise, can't ride in or out and if you're on the piss at night people tend to get pissed off.
I checked out a couple of spots that showed promise.
The first was at Jamieson River and was fairly small. It was close to tracks and a 2 minute walk to the beach nearby. Great fishing, caught some decent whiting off Artillery rocks (5 minute walk). For small groups of 4-6 guys it would be perfect and is nice and quiet and out of the wind.
The second group of spots I checked out were on Wye Track. They are much bigger, could fit 10-20 tents in no problem at each spot. I counted 4 spots all within a couple of hundred metres of each other. The bigger problem with these spots is they were a bit of a hike to the beach, probably a drive to be realistic. The road was also fairly rough, you certainly wouldn't want to take a low sedan up the road.

I'll post pics soon.
Old 10-11-2008
Prime Monostar.

i'm keen
keep in touch i will be there over christmas holidays
Old 11-11-2008
Have YOU been Tallarised?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutbreakMonkey View Post
That's certainly a possibility but my concern is availability at this time of year. I haven't made enquiries as yet but my guess is the trailer parks will be hit and miss. Certainly a practical solution and nice having a hot shower after a days ride too! The big problem with trailer parks is noise, can't ride in or out and if you're on the piss at night people tend to get pissed off.
I checked out a couple of spots that showed promise.
The first was at Jamieson River and was fairly small. It was close to tracks and a 2 minute walk to the beach nearby. Great fishing, caught some decent whiting off Artillery rocks (5 minute walk). For small groups of 4-6 guys it would be perfect and is nice and quiet and out of the wind.
The second group of spots I checked out were on Wye Track. They are much bigger, could fit 10-20 tents in no problem at each spot. I counted 4 spots all within a couple of hundred metres of each other. The bigger problem with these spots is they were a bit of a hike to the beach, probably a drive to be realistic. The road was also fairly rough, you certainly wouldn't want to take a low sedan up the road.

I'll post pics soon.
I`ve got friends who camp at Kennet Caravan Park over summer and they book in 12months in advance.
Would not think there would be any hope of getting in to a van park on w/e over summer.

If you like freshwater fishing you might also consider Stevenson Falls campground

Cheers talla
Old 11-11-2008
dbw Factory Pro

Yep

We could be up for this over the Christmas period also Monkey.
We're staying home this year and a trip down the otways (close the the beach) could be a great idea.

Keep us in the loop and let us know where you were thinking. Come to think of it, a google map position would be ideal if you have one.
Dennis Miller: I don't wanna go on a RANT here but America's foreign policy makes about as much sense as Beowolf having sex with Robert Fulton at the first Battle of Antetum. I mean when a neo-conservative defenstrates it's like Raskalnakov filibuster dioxymonohydrostinate.
Peter Griffin: What the hell does RANT mean?

WR 450 gonsky... Hello valves..CRF4fiddy

All the gear but still NFI..