dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 24-12-2012
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
Just found out something that may interest crf owners, regarding valves.
If you should happen to be out on a ride and your valves close up on you and/or find yourself in some back of Bourke situation and the bike wont start due to no clearance, pull the rocker cover and cam and remove the shims.
Put it back together and ride home.
They will run without shims.
Not brilliantly, as in they are a tad noisy and obviously you won't be getting full valve lift/power from the motor, but it will get you home.
Better than pushing.

With thanks to a good mate that shall remain nameless to protect him from endless shitstirring due to forgetting to put one shim back in.
Interesting one rideo... it would be ok on steel retainers... not so sure about ti retainers though ? I did have one break once when i left a shim out - but it was an exaust valve though.. but still makes me a little uncertain
Old 02-04-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Just a heads up to anyone thinking of using one of these oversized discs, don't do it.

The rivets are shit and flog out even in clean riding conditions, less than 2 sets of pads used on mine and i have had to remove the disc and go back to the OEM item for fear of the rivets letting go and causing a massive crash.

Ignore the brand, whoever makes these pieces of shit sells them off to any reseller that wants them across the whole world and hence they are anonymous.
The look is unique and you will see them all over the net at the usual places.

I will however recommend either EBC at $180ish or one of these jobs that i'm probably going to bite the bullet on at $199:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:AAQ:AU:1123

Cro-moly too, not el cheapo SS.

Btw, over 5K on STANDARD OEM valves clocked up now and haven't even considered shimming them as yet.

I'll be tearing the top end down soon to do the piston instead...
Old 02-04-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNoodle View Post
After a lot of riding, what has the pink wire mod done for everyone? I still haven't got around to it yet. Maybe i the next week or so If i get a few spare mins
It made my bike a bit more snappy/responsive.

I recall thinking at the time [ i did it ages ago] that it made up for another change i had just done which slowed things down a bit, pretty sure it was going up one tooth on the front?

Al.C should be able to confirm this as he did his at the same time and we spoke about it later comparing notes/impressions.
Old 03-04-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
It made my bike a bit more snappy/responsive.

I recall thinking at the time [ i did it ages ago] that it made up for another change i had just done which slowed things down a bit, pretty sure it was going up one tooth on the front?

Al.C should be able to confirm this as he did his at the same time and we spoke about it later comparing notes/impressions.
Cheers for the reply but I never did get around to doing it and eventually traded my crf

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

https://www.facebook.com/CayzerBoat

Old 03-04-2014
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Just a heads up to anyone thinking of using one of these oversized discs, don't do it.

The rivets are shit and flog out even in clean riding conditions, less than 2 sets of pads used on mine and i have had to remove the disc and go back to the OEM item for fear of the rivets letting go and causing a massive crash.

I have something that looks very similar from ebay, I think the centre piece is steel as well rather than alloy (is that black bit alloy?). The rivets did loosen up but the disc required changing by that stage, and I bought another which is also going well. I'll see how many hours it lasted and what type it was if you're interested...but maybe I'm not hard enough on it with a little 250 and single all day - no high country stuff down here...
Old 19-10-2014
dbw Pro

Can you buy a tool to cut the seats yourself? Or anyone recommend someone cheap in Sydney? I can do the actual valve install myself.
Old 08-11-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Fork oils aint oils. Motorex 5w fork oil is way to thick for these machines unless your riding high speed with big impacts. Motorex 2.5w is much closer to Honda standard oil and will make your suspension perform much better. I'm going to give it a crack in the shock this afternoon also.

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/ind...spension_Fluid

SKF fork seals and goodies are also awesome.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Old 08-11-2014
dbw Pro Addict

Most bikes run shock oil that is totally different to their fork oil.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.
It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

2018 KTM & Husky 250/300 JD Jetting Kits now in stock!
Old 08-11-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Most bikes run shock oil that is totally different to their fork oil.
Ah yes, I forgot about VI for fork vs shock oil. You are correct the Motorex 2.5w oil would be a very poor choice for a shock.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Old 11-07-2015
DBW Dweller

Hello, New here. Current Setup:
2006 CRF450X (i like to call it the 450XXX because it's so sick lolz)

Engine: new top (2014) and bottom end (2015, crank was good but tranny gears were destroyed from drag racing in Glamis CA), replaced with all OEM parts except copper bronze valve seats and JT high compression piston (12.5:1 compared to

12.0:1) done in 2014

Exhaust: FMF megabomb header, FMF 4.1 RCT muffler

Airbox: cut slots in factory black areas of side plastics, covered openings with window screen to prevent large debris from entering

Electrical: Baja Designs rewound stator (150W output now compared to about 45w stock). Baja Desings Squadron Pro 4300 lumen LED (driving pattern), SAE 6 inch 2200 lumen (spot pattern) light bar mounted to handlebar top, trail tech vapor, Ballistic performance Evo2 High performance battery, Blinker and horn setup, baja designs brake light kit.

cooling: fluidyne oversized Radiators, RED CV4 silicone cooling hoses, 2 Spal 4 inch puller fans mounted to right radiator with a 3 way toggle (off, 1 fan, 2 fans), engine ice coolant.

Clutch: hinson discs with Rekluse CORE EXP 3.0

Suspension: New fork seals and bushings (all balls) and seal savers

drive: 14/45 gears, TM desings chain guides (front and rear), protaper 520 gold series O-ring chain

Tires: front pirelli scorpion rally DOT/ Rear dunlop D606 DOT (changing to try pirelli MT21)

mirrors: flyquick carbon fiber mirrors (mr-qc-sf-036)