dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > ACT Ride Reports & Local Issues

ACT Ride Reports & Local Issues Ride reports from the ACT and surrounds

Old 28-03-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac View Post
The further out you go, the less swappers and pit bikes you'll see - and the terrain gets better too (less whopped out...).

Other options are Forestgate & Ballallaba Springs, both out past Captains Flat. Both are dearer and smaller than Larbert.
More jumps, though.

Ballallaba is more organised - you've got to book in advance, she only lets limited numbers of riders there, blah blah. It's a bit more hassle, but keeps the d-head factor down.

Between the three, and practice days at Fairbairn, we're pretty spoiled, really.
What/where is Fairbairn??
I googled Fairbairn and got nothing.
Old 28-03-2014
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm wrench View Post
Have a look at ACTMCC on FB

KTM 350exc-f
Old 28-03-2014
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
they had the east coast MX champs. here a couple of weeks ago....check out the clip.....

the track was awesome before the rain!

It is located on pialago avenue, around the oaks estate rd interstection, between Canberra Airport and Queanbeyan.
I think they are now the ACT Motorplex, with MX track, flattrack (dirt track), trials bike area (some high level obstacles, very well set up !)..... plus the car stuff, go carts track etc....
as singletrail said, most of the ACTMCC web stuff has shifted over to facebook....
Old 29-03-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Thanks fellas. The track did look sweet before the rain when it was freshly ripped. You could smell the fresh dirt, .
Do they have practice days every wkend and can you ride what ever track you want? Say start with some flat track then do some m/x and then have a go at some of the trials stuff all on a m/x bike with knobbies? Or do you have to have different tyres for each track?
Old 29-03-2014
DBW Expert

Quote:
Thanks fellas. The track did look sweet before the rain when it was freshly ripped. You could smell the fresh dirt, .
Do they have practice days every wkend and can you ride what ever track you want? Say start with some flat track then do some m/x and then have a go at some of the trials stuff all on a m/x bike with knobbies? Or do you have to have different tyres for each track?
I went out and watch the east coast round the other week, liked what I saw so I went out and bought a new YZ 250f signed up with the club and will go out racing next Sunday. Practice days will be posted up on FB, check out the website foxsportpulse.com

KTM 350exc-f
Old 29-03-2014
dbw Pro Legend

[QUOTE=Singletrail;1799604]I went out and watch the east coast round the other week, liked what I saw so I went out and bought a new YZ 250f signed up with the club and will go out racing next Sunday.

That's the way to do it, .
Old 30-03-2014
DBW Dweller

Wow thanks a lot!! How far out are they roughly from Canberra, haven't been here long and no idea how far out captains flat is. Whats forest gate like? Are Ballallaba Springs and Forest gate more of a mx track??

Also, do you know the full address at larbert? I'm super keen to go for a ride this sunday, this is the only place i know apart from Fairbairn and i don't really know how to get there.

Just keen to find stuff similar to home where it was a decent track, pay 30 or 40 dollars, and you can ride for the day, go on and off the track as often as you like.

Need to find my way around, Thanks again!

QUOTE=Spac;1798942]The further out you go, the less swappers and pit bikes you'll see - and the terrain gets better too (less whopped out...).

Other options are Forestgate & Ballallaba Springs, both out past Captains Flat. Both are dearer and smaller than Larbert.
More jumps, though.

Ballallaba is more organised - you've got to book in advance, she only lets limited numbers of riders there, blah blah. It's a bit more hassle, but keeps the d-head factor down.

Between the three, and practice days at Fairbairn, we're pretty spoiled, really.[/QUOTE]
Old 31-03-2014
dbw Pro Addict

Both Forestgate and Ballallaba Springs have MX tracks. Neither is total rubbish, but I prefer the Ballallaba one.

Both are typical private MX tracks, in that they are a bit one-lined and are hard-packed and dusty (or one-lined and slippery in the wet).

I think the directions to Larbert are earlier in this thread, bt here goes:
Larbert Rd comes off the Kings Hwy, between Bungendore and Braidwood. If you've left Canberra, its on the left a couple of kays after the Shoalhaven River bridge.
Travel to the end of Larbert Rd, and onto the property. Travel right to the end of the driveway (straight past the weighbridge on the left, straight past the main access road for the sand trucks that is on the right) and veer right into the yard around the farmhouse, and pay your money. Then go back and park somewhere off to the side of the access road.

maps.google.com.au

------------

At Fairbairn, the MX, DT & Trials practice days often don't coincide. When I've been there for an MX-only practice day, they've been OK with people riding the Endurocross track as well as the MX track.
I was instructed to go and ask the DT people about riding Kumagutsa, and the DT people have always said yes.

The one time I've ridden the dirt track, knobbies were OK. Not sure if this is always the case, but it was when I was there.
Old 31-03-2014
DBW Dweller

Thanks, Had a look at Ballaballa one and it looked real rocky, Is it?

Thanks again for those directions,

Is forest gate open every weekend? if so how much generally?
Old 01-04-2014
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrail View Post
I went out and watch the east coast round the other week, liked what I saw so I went out and bought a new YZ 250f signed up with the club and will go out racing next Sunday. Practice days will be posted up on FB, check out the website foxsportpulse.com

Well done Pete, I will see you there on Sunday. What class? I'm in o35 and open.
07 Yam YZ250