dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyone View Post
I don't get/comprehend Castrol Magnatec.
Isn't 'Magnetic' Ferrous-Iron in the Lube?
There's few Magnetic Metals: None Lube?
Quote:
When the engine stops, oil drains back to the sump, but Castrol MAGNATECís intelligent molecules donít. They cling to critical engine parts like a magnet, providing an extra layer of protection from the start, and throughout warm-up.
Marketing bs?

Anyone claiming their oil molecules are intelligent is fos imo.
I'm not saying their oils aren't quality, but maybe their marketing team went a bit overboard.

Quote:
intelligence
/ɪnˈtɛlɪdʒ(ə)ns/

noun: intelligence

1. the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills.
If oil molecules can acquire and apply knowledge and skills, we'd be less concerned about the virusofbateaters
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyone View Post
I don't get/comprehend Castrol Magnatec.
Isn't Magnetic Ferrous-Iron in their Lube?
There's few Magnetic-metals: None Lube?
From what I have been informed about such oil is that when it gets passed it's life span then it turns into a glop that cakes the rocker covers up, now I don't know that for sure, but I have seen this a lot but I have no proof of it being Magnatec.
The only time that I had ever seen oil that turned into glop was old engines that had been sitting for years and when I dropped the bung about a litre of clear water came out first and then blobs of crap oil.

As for the claims of Magnatec on start up, it's pure BS. oil is on everything regardless, I have never seen a dry camshaft even after 5 years being stored away, with 20w/50 anyway, so oil is still clinging to the metal, maybe the lighter oils may not cling on as well.

But as to the Magnatec claims of clinging like so, well that maybe true out of the box but normally what happens is that any oils claims after say 1000km all fell way short of the new claims. I seen a graph once of such, with one looking so great out of the box but soon came down within the rest, so it sounded so much better.

As a rule aside from oils their is the contamination issue as the oil gets more KM up or used, the metal parts never touch in fact and what is mainly causing the friction is impurity's sliding across within the oil film and your oil filter only stops x size microns getting through.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
XLD and GTX were OK until they went to API SH.
That's more to do with gearbox on XLD 20W/50 SG I think we used that in some gearbox's and the GTX as well in the 1980's.

4 stroke Bikes have that SG rating for the shared gearbox workings.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

How did this nice Intriguing Engeen Thread turn into another oil thread...
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom68 View Post
With Sh oils the detergent overpowered the wear additives, hard on cast iron cam lobes.
Happened again with API SN, SNplus is the fix.
I thought that it was because the ADR law that took out the Zinc because of the cat converter life is reduced with the Zinc in the oil and that Zinc was needed in fat bottom lifter cams and that's why Holden's 5.0L V8 had to go to the roller lifters.

I warned my wife's relation about this with oils some years ago but he did not listen and then came and showed me his lifters and cam out of his 3.3L WB ute and asked why, the lifters and cam were totally Roo Ted, and I pointed out the reason directly, I still don't think that he believes me.
He clamed to be using the best brand Oil and can't figure it out, because he claims it's the best brand ? but oils ant oils Sam

So we have Governments tampering with such things, look at all the problems with new diesels now due to ADR laws. a mate was cracking the shits about it all on his small trucks, Oh he was going to block off the EGR on all of them and I hear this crap all the time, fact is that you just have to service it correctly is your best bet and I think use the better diesel fuel may help keep the EGR etc cleaner. and if you use such for short distance or just plod about forget it and get a petrol.
I have a bloke next door with a late model diesel and he is not servicing it, never changed even the oil in 2 years or so, he does not have the time he claims, he will have time when the engine blows up ! but he said he will just get a new one next year, if it last that long he knows nothing about cars. bald tyres he is not worried at all as long as they are not flat at the bottom all is ok with him.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Hero

McKeen Rail Motor early 20th.

Reverse was obtained by moving the cam timing and starting the engine backwards. The big lever hanging out the top moves the cams.

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Interesting. The reverse concept reminds me of the little 60s car made in Adelaide with a 2T engine. The driver had to shut down and start the engine in reverse too. 4 speed reverse....
Old 1 Week Ago
Maico loving Chiko roll munching
coach driving international playboy.
Inaugural winner of ADB 'Golden Chiko' award.

Location: Batemans Bay. The place God created so he could go trail riding
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Interesting. The reverse concept reminds me of the little 60s car made in Adelaide with a 2T engine. The driver had to shut down and start the engine in reverse too. 4 speed reverse....
The car you are talking about was the Lightburn Zeta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9396.jpg (65.9 KB, 14 views)

Maico will rise again!

The Chiko Roll - Health food of a nation.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Yep that's the one - Zeta. Fiberglass. Probably needed oil injection and some form of system to stop owners seizing them on long down hills....