dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more

TM, Ossa, Aprilia, BMW, Maico & more A forum for all other boutique brands.

Old 04-03-2008
dbw Pro

08 Berg 550

Hey all Berg riders out there!!!

If it aint orange, it's a lemon theory!!!! I hope I can prove this wrong, as I have an 08 FE550 on the way!!

My 04 KTM 525exc has been absolute bullet proof, and once I jettted it right in the first few weeks, has never missed a beat on me whatso ever, even with 450+ hrs on it!!!

Hopefully the Berg is at least half as good as the 525 has been!! Having not ridden one since 04, I went on a limb here, but all forum's worldwide have been positive for 07/08 models.
Now got to run it in, then set up suspension, hopefully not too much need, and enjoy it!!!

Will be about 2 weeks before she is ridden, due to work, then time to give my own feedback.

Price was a big contributing factor for the purchase, plus being non fuel injected, at least carbies can be fixed on the trail, unlike efi failure!! I am a little sceptical still about efi reliabilty until proven on most bikes....

Time will tell all......
Old 25-03-2008
dbw Pro

First thoughts on 08 Berg 550....

Just been out for first ride, 110km forest ride through mud and pine forest areas.

The good,
-after 110km, still have 4.5/5lt of fuel left,
-quick steering, doesnt deflect as KTM did, and more stable too, but damper still going on when clamps get here,
-slick gearbox, 15/51 close to KTM 14/51, almost spot on for trail riding,
-much more contollable power, torquier even, or not as snappy as my old girl, in snotty stuff,
-great brakes,
-suspension quite reasonable out of box, did nothing stupid, even hit 20cm round log in mid 4th, no warning, and didnt throw me(much!!) or go off line,
-the Berg goes where ever, whenever you want it to, awesome steering,
-jetting seems ok, no bogging, very minimal popping on deceleration,
-end cap without spark arrestor, surprisingly quiet, yet just throaty enough,
-and fuel economy again.....
-oh, and the pair of canaries under the tank that love to chirp!!!!!!

The bad,
-quick 15min test ride Fri night, for a heat cycle before ride Saturday, found oil on garage floor....no bolt in the right hand side inlet camshaft, end cap/washer/whatever you call it, there is supposeto be a small 6mm bolt that screws into the end, so ended up taking my KTM one out for the weekend!!!!! easy fix at least, and only lost about 25-50ml of oil, max.
-steering almost turns too easy, but once adjusted to different ridng position, no problems(feet centre further forward than KTM),
-wide tank, but after getting back on after riding mates KTM out there, not as bad as first thought, but 4.5 yrs on KTM525, I am use to them,
-not as punchy or balsy as my 525, but still havent given it heaps yet, and power delivery also different style, deceptive though in speed, I think I like!!!,
-you'll find this funny, Berg's dont like being upside down.....Had to remove plug and dry from oil, mop out air box of oil, then ride with a smoke screen following me for 20 mins...everyone had a laugh....
-oh, cant find those two canaries!!!!!!

Things to do,
-suspension mods, rear spring for sure, and I have heard Frank Pons does a good job on Bergs, but I will wait till about 20hrs or so, and after setting up sag ect properly,
-need higher bars/raised, and have BRP clamps for sub mounting of Scotts damper coming, as per KTM setup,
-may look at 7.5lt tank that is supsedly available in the near future,
-maybe some carby tuning, see how it runs in various places and altitudes first,
-looking forward to feeding those two canaries a lot more!!!!!! Haa ha.
Old 25-03-2008
dbw Factory Pro

I rode past one in the anglesea heath on easter weekend, my bike had blown up so I heard the berg coming up the other side of the hill. Sounded noice.
Originally Posted by qwerty1234 View Post
ur a qwerty
Old 25-03-2008
dbw Pro Addict

good to hear that you are happy with your purchase ...
the 'berg' is on my short list for my next upgrade along with the Yamaha and the KTM ...
i know that the 'bergs have had an overheating problem, especially with the 550's for some reason - did you happen to notice any evidence of this ?
apart from that, do you think that you made the right chioce ?

cheers
Old 25-03-2008
dbw Pro

How will you feel when they roll out the 09 berg's,They look like a interesting bike
Old 25-03-2008
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk View Post
good to hear that you are happy with your purchase ...
the 'berg' is on my short list for my next upgrade along with the Yamaha and the KTM ...
i know that the 'bergs have had an overheating problem, especially with the 550's for some reason - did you happen to notice any evidence of this ?
apart from that, do you think that you made the right chioce ?

cheers
You will probably find that it is jetted too lean. Just make it a bit richer and you will be fine, most bikes are jetted lean to help get them through the ADR compliance.

Anyway, I reckon the Berg is a good bike, probably better than a KTM because they have better everything like steering, suspension etc. etc. etc.. I know blokes that said it was the best bike they had ever ridden, but at that stage they were not reliable and always broke down and yet the best they had ridden. I don't think this will happen nowadays.

KTM I always give heaps because, well, everyone has one. But the Berg to me is a step up, same as a Husky. they are the Elite for me.

I hope you enjoy it. I too also went for the carbi model (07 TE450) which would be the best of the carbi TE's as all probs were ironed out in 06 and just refined. After all, the carbi has done a good job for many many years.

By the way, where are the PICS?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Mandela View Post
It is what we make out of what we have, not what we are given, that separates one person from another

Current ride
'10 GasGas EC450FSR

Past rides
07 TE450 SOLD
New tyres front and rear - Spare tube front and rear - New sprocket rear - Long range fuel tank - Spare oil filters - Spare wheel bearings -New plastics and decals -Fatbars - Spare clutch lever - $4,500
03 WR450F
01 CR250R
Old 26-03-2008
dbw Pro

08 Berg 550

Berg 550.....

No overheating problems for me, not even close I dont think!!
First ride, so still tight, through mud, 32deg Nth Qld weather, high hunidity, slow, tight going, with time spent idling at bottom of hills/gullies, as well as some 3/4/5 gear riding. Where in close terrain, bugger all air flow, and still no signs of overheating, so one issue down and dusted!!!

Right choice, well yes and no!!!!
No first, I am too used to my KTM of 4.5 years, so a little quirky at the start of trails, but 5 mins later, all sorted and comfortable. Just need higher bars to finish it off.
Feet are further forward, but with in 5mins, body position sorted out and I quite like it.
I questioned myself after a mate rode it, and I back on his KTM, but after getting back on the Berg, was grinning again, not as bad as first thought, manly from the wide tank feel, but apparently there is a 7lt tank available..mmmmm.

YES, Handling....awesome. Steers so well and easy, not flighty or show signs of shake, suspension surprisingly good for standard, but rear spring a tad soft for me(105-115 geared up), but still great. My ktm has damper, offset clamps, fully sorted suspension, so was happy with how the berg is untouched from out of the box.
Never ridden a bike that steers so easy and well, goes wherever you want it to, not where the bikes takes you.
Motor just seems to drive, and very useable/controllable. Loves to be grunted or revved, but lacks a little snap of my 525, but it is set up well. I am sure with a few jetting changes, it will be better. I actually like this motor, and how the bike behaves.

Changes.....endcap mod, jetting a little, gearing(15/51), barkbusters, and sub mount for damper and to raise the bars on its way, not that the Berg seems to need a damper at all, as it seems to nothing wrong!! I just like the way you can get away with a bit more when you get lazy or caught out, and makes things that little bit safer, but now I tend to hit things harder thinking the damper will take care of things!!! Oh and pivot pegs from KTM to Berg, as I love these things for rear brake usability(stuffed ankle), and less boot wear.
Here is alink to out ride photos, not many, but an idea.
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/jamie.nq.berg/NqRideMarch

Oh, dont worry about the smoke from berg, they drool oil into the airbox(backbobe of frame) when upside down. Atfer drying plug, she fired staight up, but a smoke screen followed for about 20mins or so, much to mates amusement!!! Nothing like a bit of extra lube.

Am I happy?? Yep, and I like to be a bit different...
Old 27-03-2008
Banned

A dude i know has a blowen head gasket on a 2007 650 berg.
In the 1 st service do the head bolts need to be re torqued down again? or are they just really called hasselbergs.
It sure does get a wriggle on.
Old 27-03-2008
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseydrz4 View Post
A dude i know has a blowen head gasket on a 2007 650 berg.
I bloke I know blew a headgasket on a (insert brand name here) too.
Old 27-03-2008
Sherco Flying Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knopey View Post
I bloke I know blew a headgasket on a (insert brand name here) too.
VOR

http://www.forceaccessories.com.au/

R.I.P Booma

Verbier My Fav destination

Club Mud#83

1975 XR75 First bike
1988 Husky AE430
2002 VOR 530
2006 Gas Gas 450 FSE
2007 Honda Fireblade 1000RR
2007 Sherco 4.5 Race Replica
2007 KTM 640 Adventurer