dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildo View Post
Don't forget that an ultrasonic cleaner will clean anything metallic... household stuff... *her* jewellery...

I know bugger all about them, except that I could probably use one here occasionally. I don't yet know about differences in quality, manufacture, etc... anyone???
They work by making minute bubbles which implode, creating a grasping action on a hard surfaces , iv used a big mother one, only any good on jewellery and small items, they test them by using aluminium foil, should punch small holes in to it, I put a rusty pair of pliers once, did nothing really. parts cleaner would be better.
Old 3 Days Ago
DBW Clubman

Are direct drive air compressors ok?

Or are you better of getting a belt driven one?
Old 3 Days Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz300 View Post

Cody Mackie CM33 bought me a little direct-drive cheapie from SuperCheap back in 2005 to use at an event. It was meant to last the weekend. It's still going!

For occasional use they're fine. Buy Italian though, not Chinga.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Addict

I bought a reasonably cheap direct drive compressor about 10 years ago thinking that if I use it enough I`d get a better one. I use it all the time and haven`t had the need to upgrade.

If you want to do any amount of spray paining with it though you might want to look into one with a suitable FAD.

I still need to find a reason to use the air nibbler I bought 10 years ago though
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by >moto< View Post

I still need to find a reason to use the air nibbler I bought 10 years ago though
Pedicure
Old 3 Days Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by poper View Post
They work by making minute bubbles which implode, creating a grasping action on a hard surfaces , iv used a big mother one, only any good on jewellery and small items, they test them by using aluminium foil, should punch small holes in to it, I put a rusty pair of pliers once, did nothing really. parts cleaner would be better.
We use an ultrasonic cleaner in the workshop. Heaps quicker, cleaner and easier than a parts washer. Neither of which are meant for removing rust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz300 View Post

As with everything, they're built for a purpose. Direct drive is fine as long as you aren't constant running them. Once they overheat, you burn out the seals and it's game over. Home workshop, pumping up tyres, the odd bit of blowing, etc and you don't need anything else.

Belt will last longer and run longer.

You should always buy your compressor based on the air requirement you need to run your biggest or thirstiest tool (usually a sprayer, die grinder or sander).

Always look for FAD (Free Air Delivery) which as an Australian standard must be quoted as the machine's output from the nozzle, not at the pump which is always higher and not always relevant to the actual output. When they quote CFM it usually means they're quoting from the pump and that the unit itself doesn't meet standards.

Beware of the fake Italian. Quite a few units will claim or imply to be Italian when they aren't.
Like Us On Facebook
Old 2 Days Ago
DBW Clubman

Cheers for all the ideas guys.

Iím putting in an order for a compressor and an air tool kit.
Old 2 Days Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Good luck. I found the best strategy is to actually buy it myself, That way I get what I want, not some cheap and often unsuitable alternative.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 2 Days Ago
DBW Clubman

Yeah I know what you mean. I will research it and give them the details.

Cheers again guys.