dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 1 Day Ago
The "One" and only

Problem solved.

KTM felt sorry for Adam and have developed a totally new model for my little mate. It's called the '3Days' because it's 1/2 the height of a Six Days. Enjoy...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (93.4 KB, 36 views)

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 1 Day Ago
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
KTM felt sorry for Adam and have developed a totally new model for my little mate. It's called the '3Days' because it's 1/2 the height of a Six Days. Enjoy...
Ha
I still would not be able to touch the ground.
Thinking about taking up Sewing instead.
Old 1 Day Ago
DBW Expert

Mmmmmm
Im more conflicted than ever. So im thinking I will shave as much of the seat as i can because dont think there is a low seat available. Run a lower profile rear tyre 110/90/18. Tubliss rear tyre with 6psi . Save up for Nutties leg operation he suggested. Problem solved
Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:

Lol,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1 Day Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
That keeps the suspension travel, but man does it mess with the trail.
Old 22 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
Mmmmmm
Im more conflicted than ever. So im thinking I will shave as much of the seat as i can because dont think there is a low seat available. Run a lower profile rear tyre 110/90/18. Tubliss rear tyre with 6psi . Save up for Nutties leg operation he suggested. Problem solved
nothing wrong with internally lowering a bike, done a few times current bike is 30 mm in rear 15 mm forks both internally and around 15 mm through the clamps, handles fine no adverse effects, wrong springs for ya weight or bad set up is were most go wrong, i can still adjust sag and fork height to fine tune, had a few bikes, no head shake or crap handling in my case.

Talk to a tuner, you can always remove the spacers at next service, the spacers add stuff all to a normal service in the first place
Old 21 Hours Ago
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

You're on the right track with the spacers... the window for height adjustment via sag will probably run out once you add much more than an extra 20.

The geometry talk is pretty silly. It's like skyline drivers discussing wing angles and downforce for their drive to work. Centre of gravity benefits quickly offset any geometry trade offs and that's before you've factored in the massive increase in rider confidence.

Don't shave your seat, it upsets your geometry even more (because you are less likely to sit as far forward for aggressive cornering whilst seated), plus it puts your spine at more risk on seated impacts as well. Plus being comfortable is an important part of riding.

Trail bikes were alway much lower and more comfortable, the MX derived design only fully benefits a fraction of off road users and/or conditions.

I'v seen people with short legs avoid lowering due to the geometry BS and it's always held their development back as they were always timid when things got technical or slower speed.

Confidence is priceless on a bike. Good luck with it.
Old 5 Hours Ago
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
You're on the right track with the spacers... the window for height adjustment via sag will probably run out once you add much more than an extra 20.

The geometry talk is pretty silly. It's like skyline drivers discussing wing angles and downforce for their drive to work. Centre of gravity benefits quickly offset any geometry trade offs and that's before you've factored in the massive increase in rider confidence.

Don't shave your seat, it upsets your geometry even more (because you are less likely to sit as far forward for aggressive cornering whilst seated), plus it puts your spine at more risk on seated impacts as well. Plus being comfortable is an important part of riding.

Trail bikes were alway much lower and more comfortable, the MX derived design only fully benefits a fraction of off road users and/or conditions.

I'v seen people with short legs avoid lowering due to the geometry BS and it's always held their development back as they were always timid when things got technical or slower speed.

Confidence is priceless on a bike. Good luck with it.
Thanks thst is some good advice. You are 100% on rider confidence. When you get one tippy toe on the ground on one side it is exhausting as well as just trying to get onto the bike.
Old 5 Hours Ago
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
nothing wrong with internally lowering a bike, done a few times current bike is 30 mm in rear 15 mm forks both internally and around 15 mm through the clamps, handles fine no adverse effects, wrong springs for ya weight or bad set up is were most go wrong, i can still adjust sag and fork height to fine tune, had a few bikes, no head shake or crap handling in my case.

Talk to a tuner, you can always remove the spacers at next service, the spacers add stuff all to a normal service in the first place
Thanks your advice has set me straight again. I will contact terry hay.
Old 4 Hours Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
nothing wrong with internally lowering a bike,
Well there's two things very wrong with lowering KTMs with suspension spacers, which is why it is unheard of at Pro level.

Firstly, a KTMs rear travel already exceeds the ground clearance of the bike. If the bike is lowered there's the very real chance of a flat-landing bearing directly on the frame rails. None of the suspensions' anti-bottoming systems come into play, the impact is transferred directly onto the riders spine. Crushed vertebrae/wheelchairs are the result.

Secondly, KTMs use a PDS to let the shock know how far through the travel the bike is, this system then needs to be modified by a very adept tuner, few have the knowledge to do the job properly.

As long as the rider and tuner are aware of the issues they're creating, it is what it is. To say there's 'nothing' wrong with internal lowering is incorrect.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec