dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 05-12-2017
dbw Pro Legend

ABS (and CBS) mandatory for new bikes as of Nov 2019

"New lifesaving ADR to protect motorcycle riders"

ABS - antilock braking system
CBS - combined braking system(front and back)

ABS mandatory in ADR's for Nov 2019
CBS will only be mandatory for m/c's under 125cc(most scooters and mopeds)

Press release: https://www.paulfletcher.com.au/medi...orcycle-riders

Legislation: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017L01554

LC = motorcycle
"5.2. For LC category vehicles having engine capacity above 125 cubic centimetres (or equivalent), ABS must be fitted to modulate any wheel lock; and

5.3. for LC category vehicles having engine capacity above 50 cubic centimetres (or equivalent) and engine capacity 125 cubic centimetres or below (or equivalent), ABS must be fitted to modulate any wheel lock; or, CBS must be fitted.

5.5. For LC category vehicles designed for use on loose or unsealed surfaces or unformed roads and that are fitted with tyres appropriate for use on those surfaces, a means to temporarily disable ABS for the purpose of use on those surfaces is permitted where that means conforms to the requirements of Appendix A, paragraph 5.1.16."

Plus there are a few exemptions for dirtbikes
6.1.1. seat height equal to or greater than 810 mm; and
6.1.2. ground clearance equal to or greater than 285 mm; and
6.1.3. overall gear ratio in highest gear (primary gear ratio multiplied by secondary gear ratio in the highest speed multiplied by final drive ratio) equal to or greater than 6.0; and
6.1.4. ‘Unladen Mass’ less than or equal to 150 kg; and
6.1.5. front wheel outer rim diameter equal to or greater than 533 mm (nominally 21 inches) and larger than rear wheel outer rim diameter; and
6.1.6. engine capacity less than or equal to 250 cubic centimetres (or equivalent); and
6.1.7. no seating position for a passenger and not fitted with passenger foot rests.

Looks to me that most rego-able dirtbikes will be exempt
09 KTM300EXC-E
89 KTM125EXC

Last edited by Rebuild; 06-12-2017 at 09:50 AM. Reason: updated press release url
Old 05-12-2017
dbw Factory Pro

I don't like the way it says 'and' after all of those exemptions.
Old 06-12-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Most likely wont change a thing. Although as traction control is being developed, abs style wheel speed sensors and computer will be needed anyway.
Good to know that dodgy scooter riders will have combined brakes. I think most do anyway.
KTM 690r - gone
Old 06-12-2017
DBW Clubman

The way I read those exemption, using 'and' at the end of each one, a bike must meet them all to qualify. That would mean any bike with an engine capacity above 250cc must have ABS
Please tell me I'm wrong....please.

When are the powers that be going to realise the more you try to protect people that CHOOSE to use something they simply shouldn't use in the first place, the more you increase the potential for disaster. My reasoning is....people without the ability, skill or knowledge to use something, incorrectly feel that it's safe for them to do so.
Old 06-12-2017
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricknaz View Post
I don't like the way it says 'and' after all of those exemptions.
Neither does this bloke

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...cmcN3gNOEnLd0L