dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > Queensland Ride Reports & Local Issues

Old 18-08-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Good stuff mate.

I found some odd motorbike related things on the road yesterday at the Cordillo-Birdsville-Innamincka Rd intersection near Arrabury. Some Klim pants and a LAN cable amongst a few other bits discarded in the desert - weird? You didn't leave a mate out there did you?
I did see a bloke riding a Husky wearing Klim pants using a Lan cable as a belt.
He'd lost his sidestand, was that amongst the other things that you saw ?

I would have brought it back but I was already overloaded.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 18-08-2017
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmo View Post
Nice one Don. I'm in for next years successful crossing of the Simpson.

I am googln' 27 litre fuel tank for Vespa
Me Too!! googling fuel loads for postie bike....

I'LL BE THE LAST PERSON TO DIE IN MY LIFETIME.....
Old 04-09-2017
dbw Pro

That's excellent.

I've crossed the desert twice and played out there a few other times whilst being based in Birdsville for the Races.

I took my KTM exc 250 2t out there 10 years ago. That was good fun!!

Last time we were out there was 2 years ago exactly and it wasn't as dry as that.

We crossed Walkers Crossing twice before the bridge was built. There is an excellent drive going up the Bore Track which would be much more fun than sitting on the Strezlecki and Birdsville Tracks. You have to pay a donation of $10 to drive it, but it's worth it. Actually, I think it might run between Innaminka and Cameron Corner.......

We became lost in the Jackson Oil Fields one trip and had to jump on the 2-way to ask for directions. The bloke who answered knew the place like the back of his hand.

Plenty of great memories out there.

Cheers.

Anthony.
Old 05-09-2017
dbw Pro Champion

I rode the Northern section of the Bore Track last year. The southern section is now closed from Bollards Lagoon station. Apparently they got sick of people trashing the place and leaving shit everywhere.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 05-09-2017
dbw Factory Pro

Great ride report. It's a shame things didn't go to plan. I was up there in late July on my DRZ 400. It was a supported ride with a camp about 170km from Birdsville and another on the western side of the desert. 40 riders in total. Seven of us made it from Birdsville to the other side of the desert in one day and another 11 came from camp A to camp B on day 2. That was it. Daytime temp was between 30-35 degrees and about 4 degrees overnight. We carried sleeping gear (no tent) and about 6L of water plus some snacks, but had the luxury of refilling at the camps. I used about 4-5L of water on day 1. I had my 22L fuel tank on board and best guess used about 30L give or take on day 1. I heard from locals at Birdsville that the track is in a bad state - I can't comment on this as it was my first time there. What I can say is that not long after Poeppels the level of difficulty heading west increased significantly with no real gaps between the dunes. I love sand riding and had a ball. The bikes that made it across on day 1 were 4 x 500EXC, 1 x 450EXC, 1 x CRF450 and the mighty DRZ. I enjoyed it so much I'll do it again.
Old 22-04-2018
dbw Pro

DV8, that Hilux was there in 2014, and the Cordillo Downs shed was interesting. Can't wait to get back out that way.
Old 23-04-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jock67 View Post
DV8, that Hilux was there in 2014, and the Cordillo Downs shed was interesting. Can't wait to get back out that way.
I saw it there in October 2013 and it looked fairly fresh then. It looked like it had caught on fire. The roof hadn't been jumped on either.
The Cordillo Downs Road is a rough old run on a bike and not much better in a 4WD.