dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > ACT Ride Reports & Local Issues

ACT Ride Reports & Local Issues Ride reports from the ACT and surrounds

Old 10-11-2010
DBW Expert

Possible ACT off road riding facility?

My brother sent the Chief Minister an email asking about the 8 million dollars that was earmarked for the dragway and what was happening with it and this was the response:

Thank you for your email of 6 October 2010 to the Chief Minister, Mr John Stanhope about motorsports in the ACT. Mr Stanhope has referred your letter to me as responsibility for this matter falls within my portfolio.

The ACT Government recognises the importance of motorsports to the ACT. The $8m that was originally identified for the dragway project is being invested to provide assistance to the many community based motorsport clubs in Canberra.

In 2009 the Government prepared the ACT Motorsport Strategy. This provides a framework to grow and support motorsports in the ACT. The primary focus of the strategy is on helping community based clubs develop and grow their facilities and events. These clubs, such as those currently opperating at Fairburn Park as well as rally clubs and others will be eligible for funding through the ACT Motorsports Fund. Funding is also being spent on the development of a public motorcycle riding facility that will cater for all ages, including children. The planning for this facility is well advanced.

These investments will directly benefit the many thousands of Canberrans who actively participate in both club based and recreational motorsports in the ACT......"

Andrew Barr MLA,
Minister for Tourism, Sport and Recreation
See these posts for related info:
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...80&postcount=1
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...44&postcount=5

What I want to know is, if planning for this new public motorcycle riding facility is already underway who's input have they recieved? It seems likely that the ACTMCC at Fairburn is the only group they are engaging with and I certainly don't think they have your average single track riders best interest at heart, as long as their facility is taken care of everything else would be an afterthought. I haven't heard anything from the DSMRA to say they are involved (can someone correct me on this?) It would be a shame to finally get the facitlity we want only to have it turn out to be a half arsed gimmick that pleases only beginners or kids.
Old 10-11-2010
dbw Pro Addict

This was floating around the rally clubs at least 18 months ago.
At the time, the talk was mostly about expanding the Fairbairn facility to incorporate the paint ball area, to give room for non-rally-dirt motorsport, possible enduro loop and some other stuff.
The thrust of it was about organised motorsport, rather than the relatively unregulated social activities like trail-riding and 4WDing.

A mate of mine did a lot of work for the Light Car Club, but he basically lost interest when he felt that it was going nowhere.
I can give you his contact details if you're serious about further investigation - apart from anything else, it annoys me that all of the different 'factions' of forest users (particularly motorised ones) seem to reluctant to talk to each other: "Divided we fall" and all that.
Old 10-11-2010
dbw Pro Champion

DSMRA are working behind the scenes on this. I didn't make the last meeting, but it has been a hot topic for some time.
2. Only the depth that varies....see #1
Old 10-11-2010
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer456 View Post
DSMRA are working behind the scenes on this. I didn't make the last meeting, but it has been a hot topic for some time.
Good to know, thanks for that Hammer456, I have to admit that I don't get off my arse to attend the meetings but I think that might have to change. I am happy if they the DSMRA are getting involved.

I haven't been going out of my way to investigate this, in fact most of it I have stumbled across or others have sent me because I am such a big whining bee-atch when it comes to the subject of local ride access (other than fire trails).
Old 10-11-2010
dbw Pro

Question

At last months meeting DSMRA advised that there had been a meeting with TAMS? (I think with PD/PE/PW). There was some discussion about fencing off the western side of Paddys River Road. My guess is this could be Blk 320 Paddys River (encompassing Laurel Camp & Oakey Creek (approximately 10km2)). Weekend motorsport (Club) activity would likely then be permitted on a 'bookings' basis. As Pierces Creek runs into the Cotter the further western side of Laurel Camp Rd would likely be out of bounds due concerns over 'erosion' to Cotter water catchment. The area would likely also remain a forestry operation in normal hours.
Gus (speculation only)
Old 10-11-2010
DBW Expert

hey guys ok the inside loop on this is that yes they have a area for us but nothing is set in concrete yet.

its in peirces creek area im not 100% sure but Rickster will know where it is

at this stage we are in talks about the size of area we can get a hold of

i will update with news as we go

DSMRA ACT COMMITEE MEMBER
DSMRA NATIONAL COMMITEE MEMBER
( If i can help please ask )
Old 12-11-2010
dbw Pro

Kowen has less erodable soils...
Old 17-11-2010
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas-dup View Post
hey guys ok the inside loop on this is that yes they have a area for us but nothing is set in concrete yet.

its in peirces creek area im not 100% sure but Rickster will know where it is

at this stage we are in talks about the size of area we can get a hold of

i will update with news as we go

Size IS important, not just for ride area but what would be super handy would be having an area that is large enough to have sections closed for recovery/rehabilitation to keep TAMS happy while still having plenty of space to ride. Oh and single track should be acceptable as well, not just riding on formed trails etc.
Old 18-12-2015
dbw Pro Addict

Bump

I must have missed the memo from TAMS about the opening day for the ride park facility?

http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...ghlight=survey

60% of the time it works everytime

Old 19-12-2015
dbw Factory Pro

Oh they are still talking about the moto park. I saw it marked on a map just this week. Supposedly around Murrays Corner and to the East of Laurel Camp Rd. Not a very big area. Might do you for an hour or two of riding. The map I saw came along with them urging motos to stay out of the Lower Cotter Catchment area or risk fines of up to $1500. The Nature Conservation Act 2014 covers such offences.