dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 25-02-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Otherwise you might have a break in the wiring loom near the headset where it flexes, the common ground wires are bundled here, but come apart due to poor crimping, then you will have no voltage regulation to the battery
Old 25-02-2019
dbw Pro Legend

You'd think Italians would have figured out electrics by now, the wires are so similar to spaghetti.
Old 25-02-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Gees image this happened to a ktm the internet would go into meltdown I guess being a Beta not much is said because people expect something like this .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-02-2019
dbw Pro Legend

And here I though that was the good brand of lithium battery. Makes me a bit nervous now.
Old 25-02-2019
dbw Pro Legend

I've also got a suspicion that when a lipo battery dies your bike wont run at all as they have an auto protection circuit which essentially makes your battery open circuit (as if you have no battery fitted at all).
Where as a lead acid might fail to start your bike but it will allow the bike to run (push started etc) as it still completes the circuit.
Old 26-02-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roon View Post
Harald

the 2016 onwards 4T BETAs run a diode for voltage regulation, its encased in black heatshrink, but water gets in and corrodes the legs.
Not sure if your 390 has a diode, but I suggest looking for a diode pack, removing the heat shrink and checking it. A replacement from BETA is $26
checked on the spare parts list and no diode but a $111 rectifier.
Old 26-02-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I've also got a suspicion that when a lipo battery dies your bike wont run at all as they have an auto protection circuit which essentially makes your battery open circuit (as if you have no battery fitted at all).
Where as a lead acid might fail to start your bike but it will allow the bike to run (push started etc) as it still completes the circuit.
the bike ran fine once I ripped out the battery. luckily I had a kickstarter even though the gearing for it is less than perfect. I basically rode the bike with the terminals open, no battery installed
Old 28-02-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Been there, done that with a Sherco. Heaps of smoke, melted battery. Iíd check the voltage regulator & then contact Steve @ Betta bike is SA for a jap replacement. The new one topped out @ 14.7 volts @ max revís - Perfect! The old one topped out @ 17 volts. Thatís way too much, even for a lead acid battery.
Check out: http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=126992

AndrewKTM450
Old 28-02-2019
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewktm450 View Post
Been there, done that with a Sherco. Heaps of smoke, melted battery. Iíd check the voltage regulator & then contact Steve @ Betta bike is SA for a jap replacement. The new one topped out @ 14.7 volts @ max revís - Perfect! The old one topped out @ 17 volts. Thatís way too much, even for a lead acid battery.
Check out: http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=126992
Old 16-03-2019
dbw Factory Pro

It was the regulator. It showed 16.7 volts. I replaced it with some thing more sedate 😁, recycled from an old bike, checked it and it worked, not the 111 dollars beta wants 😕