dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Suzuki Forum

Suzuki Forum For the Yellow Terrors

Old 12-12-2015
DBW Dweller

Bleeding brakes on DRZ400E

Hey all,

Need a little help! I am having trouble bleeding my brakes and the air just wont escape. I am guess its because the line loops at a high point near the handlebars? I don't have a vacuum so I have been doing it manually. Any tips would be great!

Thanks
Old 12-12-2015
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Go to Supercheap and get one of their big 2 stroke mixing syringes - http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations or http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...ecommendations

... and some tubing to connect the syringe and the bleedling nipple down on the caliper - like this:

Remove the cover from the brake master cylinder (where you've been putting the fluid in with the traditional manual bleeding) and suck out the existing fluid so the reservoir is empty.

Now, with the syringe full of brake fluid, connect the tube to the bottom bleed nipple on the caliper can crack the bleed nipple open. Flick the tube with your finger to get the little air bubble in the syringe tube up into the syringe as you don't want to push that into the system. With the bleed nipple still open apply pressure on the syringe so it forced the brake fluid from the syringe backwards through the caliper and brake line into the reservoir. Once the fluid is coming into the master cylinder reservoir you have pushed all the air out of the system, so close the bleed nipple and top up the master cylinder reservoir and test if you have decent feel. If not, your traditional manual bleeding should be good enough to get the maximum performance and feel out of the braking system.
Old 12-12-2015
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Here's a video that might help too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBk00597EyE
Old 16-12-2015
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Probably helps to have the rubber plug on the inside of the syringe but we get your point.
Old 16-12-2015
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captured View Post
Probably helps to have the rubber plug on the inside of the syringe but we get your point.
Yeah, the rubber gets sticky and you need to lube it with a bit of fluid to make it work. I mainly had the pic to show the setup, not to actually bleed by system.
Old 16-12-2015
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
Yeah, the rubber gets sticky and you need to lube it with a bit of fluid to make it work. I mainly had the pic to show the setup, not to actually bleed by system.
While I'm at it your chain is looking a bit sad. Some of links look half seized.
Old 17-12-2015
dbw Pro Champion

First push the pads back into the caliper pushing the Pistons right back in.Take the master cylinder off the bars and hang it off the ceiling with wire to get the brake line straight ( no curved loop at the top). Now tap the line with the handle of a screw driver from the caliper up towards the master cylinder ,do this a few times( it help the air move up) now put it back on the bars and try pushing the fluid back from the caliper back through ( can usually get a horse syringe from the local vet cheap) . If you can't get a syringe you can try putting the master back on the bars pull the lever in and zip tie it to the bars again give the line another tap up the open the cap check the fluid level ( hopefully the fluid is not old and or contaminated) put the cap on and leave it over night or a few hours at least and see if this works.
"E"

Why does my brain keep cashing cheques my body can't pay for?

Not Feeling Yourself Lately,Well Then That's One BAD Habbit You've Finally Grown Out Of!!

CLUB MUD#105
Old 16-12-2015
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Moto View Post
Hey all,

Need a little help! I am having trouble bleeding my brakes and the air just wont escape. I am guess its because the line loops at a high point near the handlebars? I don't have a vacuum so I have been doing it manually. Any tips would be great!

Thanks
A little trick that works, if you can't get the last bit of air out of the top of the loop, put a zip tie around the lever and grip to hold it in. Leave it overnight and after a few hours the air will be gone.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 16-12-2015
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manda Moto View Post
Hey all,

Thanks
I had this exact problem in the last week with my rear brakes. No amount of reverse bleeding would remove the trapped air. After checking out a few videos on youtube I tried vacuum bleeding it. I took the top off my master cylinder and topped it up with fresh fluid. Then I connected up to my caliper bleed nipple an EMPTY syringe with the plunger pushed all the way in. I cracked open the bleed nipple and started withdrawing the plunger from the syringe. Wow, you should have seen the amount of air bubbles that came out along with the fluid. In an instant I had a brake that worked well again. You just need to keep an eye on the level of fluid in the master cylinder and keep topping it up so that you don't get any new air in there. It seems that creating a vacuum makes sure that everything gets sucked out of the system. Worth a try if you are still having issues with it.
Old 20-12-2015
dbw Pro

Easy Brake bleed

Remove the master cylinder and bolt it to old bars or broom handle , hold it straight up above the hose bend and bleed it . Quick as. Dealer workshop trick.
Cheers Des.