dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > dbw's Junior Dirtbikers

dbw's Junior Dirtbikers For the youngsters that will be roosting the rest of us one day.

Old 29-06-2014
DBW Dweller

changed the tyres as well to some pirelli knobbies for grip
Old 01-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

PW50 is a far better bike for small kids. I have never owned a PW but the CRF is just too heavy for little kids. I bought my a CRF for the son's 5th birthday because the older kids own CRF's and it was a huge mistake. When the son crashed or lost balance he would get pinned under the bike in till someone come to help and now having the same problem with the daughter. Then they don't want to ride it because they get scared.

The JR50 side plates are impossible to find and no aftermarket.
Old 01-07-2014
dbw Pro Legend

Ended up picking up a 2yo PY50 for $400, looks to be in top nick.
Old 06-07-2014
dbw Pro

I went with a ttr50 for my then 4 and 9 year old, was the first bike for both of them and couldn't be happier. Electric start, easy maintenance, little bit of suspension, plenty enough power and having three gears was a plus. Chuck it in second and let them have at it.

Only minor thing is its lengthy warm up but it's no biggie, unload it and start it up then get the kids geared up. It's coming up on two years and it's been perfect.
Highly recommend them.
Old 21-06-2015
dbw Pro

A bit of an old thread but may be useful to anyone going through the same questions.

Christmas last year we bought the boy (6 years old) a CRF50 and the girl (4 y.o.) a PW50. They both rode the PW once and hated it. No matter, some people don't like certain bikes.

I thought my little girl wasn't interested so sold the PW and bought an LT50 quad just to see if she didn't like travelling under power. She spent an hour on the quad then asked to get on the CRF. Next thing there is all sorts of problems as she won't give his bike back....

So I found a TTR90. Good timing as he was starting to flog the little Honda.

Little girl is still 4 and is riding the CRF in 3rd gear with no throttle stop. Boy is still 6 and riding the pants off the TTR (I'm starting to think I should have gone for a TTR110). The only time the weight of either of these bikes is an issue is when they drop it but I am never far away.

1990 DT175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battered Sav View Post
Doesn't matter how smart, right or 'enlightening' the message is, if it's delivered in a shit stained envelope nobody is going to read/heed it.
Old 21-06-2015
dbw Pro

That's a cool photo, vss304.

Like I said in my previous post, that's pretty much my experience too.
5 different kids in the extended family on the little bikes, girls and boys of various ages and all of them much prefer the little CRF50 over the PW50.

And now as my oldest is getting bigger, he's moved from a JR80 on to a KLX125. How he's taken to the 125 is unbelievable (even before he could touch the ground) after the JR80.

My experience unless your kid is a gun rider, the kids just seem to take better to the four strokes.
Old 29-12-2015
dbw Pro Legend

peewee 4 me

Ive just had the same dilemma for my boys upcoming 5th birthday a ttr50 0r peewee as they were the same price. Test rode a mates crf50 and he could not touch the ground enough to balance the bike when stopping. easy when riding in a paddock but not when he had to reach the ground. So I got the peewee 50 and he loves it and has all the confidence in the world. Will keep it for 12 months then sell and upgrade to ttr or crf. it was the height and weight that was the defining factor for me and not his riding ability. Cheers Nugget
Old 29-12-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' nugget View Post
Ive just had the same dilemma for my boys upcoming 5th birthday a ttr50 0r peewee as they were the same price. Test rode a mates crf50 and he could not touch the ground enough to balance the bike when stopping. easy when riding in a paddock but not when he had to reach the ground. So I got the peewee 50 and he loves it and has all the confidence in the world. Will keep it for 12 months then sell and upgrade to ttr or crf. it was the height and weight that was the defining factor for me and not his riding ability. Cheers Nugget
Yep, I got my Stepson a PW50 last Christmas, a bigger bike would last him longer but he needs to build confidence first.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both - Benjamin Franklin

The problem with a UDP joke is that you have no idea if people got it.

Current Ride:- Honda CRF450X 2007
Old 10-01-2016
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vss304 View Post
A bit of an old thread but may be useful to anyone going through the same questions.

Christmas last year we bought the boy (6 years old) a CRF50 and the girl (4 y.o.) a PW50. They both rode the PW once and hated it. No matter, some people don't like certain bikes.

I thought my little girl wasn't interested so sold the PW and bought an LT50 quad just to see if she didn't like travelling under power. She spent an hour on the quad then asked to get on the CRF. Next thing there is all sorts of problems as she won't give his bike back....

So I found a TTR90. Good timing as he was starting to flog the little Honda.

Little girl is still 4 and is riding the CRF in 3rd gear with no throttle stop. Boy is still 6 and riding the pants off the TTR (I'm starting to think I should have gone for a TTR110). The only time the weight of either of these bikes is an issue is when they drop it but I am never far away.

problem is there isnt really much option for a lightweight kids trailbike. something i struggle with for my young girls with heavy bikes.

Good to see your kids riding with you though nothing better
-pw50s x 2
- electric bike
Old 10-01-2016
dbw Pro Champion

One thing we have noticed in racing, is the young kids who do the time on the peewees progress a lot faster than the kids who are stepped up quickly or put straight on the KTMs while they are still learning to ride. Choosing a bike that is the best fit for right now is definitely the way to go.