dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Organise a Ride for Yourself. > Northern Territory Rides

Old 12-03-2015
DBW Dweller

Holmes jungle isnt bad for a quick blat close to town. Not quite sure if its frowned upon though!
Old 12-03-2015
dbw Factory Pro

Gunn point has some good riding, well it used to years ago. There was a natural terrain mx type track near howard springs somewhere, can't remember how to get there though.
Old 12-03-2015
dbw Pro

Crikey, this one got dragged out of the archives.....
Marrakai track is also a good one as is the surprise creek to Daley River road and Old Jim Jim Rd is another good one.
The poor little 250 copped a few long rides back in the day, the 650R does a much nicer job now.

Can still ride out at Gunn Point, tend to take the Quad in there now though, especially this time of year.
Old 12-03-2015
dbw Factory Pro

Haha just seen thats awesome only 2006 haha.
Old 16-03-2015
dbw Pro Champion

I used to mountain bike in these areas about twenty years ago, or as we called it, 'small hill biking'.
Old 16-03-2015
dbw Pro

Adelaide River hills would be great for mountain biking, entry off Dorat Rd at the Telstra tower. You can make your way through to Darwin river and there's quite a few swimming spots and springs in that area. Have gotten a fair way in there with the 650 but ended up turning around due to heading in there on a whim and not being 100% prepared to follow the entire way. Was tough going but doable nonetheless.
I had been in at Litchfield and decided to head to AR because it was so early in the day however I didn't fuel up at AR and the Camel back was running low.
Another good run is the Goldfields loop to Pine Creek.
Old 24-04-2015
DBW Dweller

Seeing as how this thread was already resurrected...

I'm fairly new in Darwin and have been exploring the local riding on my own a bit recently. By the Hidden Valley raceway there's heaps of moderately overgrown single track, and a few nice little hill climbs. Round the back of East Arm fire station has plenty of hill climbs and single track. Too wet to ride the power lines to Kirkland road tho. Tracks past the industrial development there still a bit wet at the moment. Inbetween Moulden and the bridge on channel island rd, nice tracks with bermed corners but still wet in places and the mud there can be deceiving.

Also been down to Darwin River, but didn't manage an all dirt route. Gonna try the old railway route next time. What's the go with the dams? There's signs up about not entering the catchment area, but I've never seen this before in other parts of Australia or at home, is there a good reason for it?

Might explore up towards Gunn Point this weekend.
Old 24-04-2015
dbw Factory Pro

Gunn point is endless for tracks out there
Old 24-04-2015
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimble nath View Post
Seeing as how this thread was already resurrected...

I'm fairly new in Darwin and have been exploring the local riding on my own a bit recently. By the Hidden Valley raceway there's heaps of moderately overgrown single track, and a few nice little hill climbs. Round the back of East Arm fire station has plenty of hill climbs and single track. Too wet to ride the power lines to Kirkland road tho. Tracks past the industrial development there still a bit wet at the moment. Inbetween Moulden and the bridge on channel island rd, nice tracks with bermed corners but still wet in places and the mud there can be deceiving.

Also been down to Darwin River, but didn't manage an all dirt route. Gonna try the old railway route next time. What's the go with the dams? There's signs up about not entering the catchment area, but I've never seen this before in other parts of Australia or at home, is there a good reason for it?

Might explore up towards Gunn Point this weekend.
Go and have a look at the old gaol at Gunn Pt while you're out there. Hammer along the beach to your heart's content.
Just watch the "boaties" floating along in their 4x4's and dust makers. You can follow the power line instead of the main drag too.
Old 30-04-2015
DBW Dweller

Well I didn't go to Gunn Pt last weekend, didn't want to go too far so went and practiced on the hill climbs at Hidden Valley instead. But I'll probably head out that way this weekend.

Are there many people on dbw that ride up this way? I've been riding on my own since I got my bike back on the road in February, but trying to rope in a bloke I used to chat to working at Robbo Barracks who's on a KTM 500 EXC. I'm on an old Honda XR600, an oldie but a good one. Would be nice to find some people interested in the same sort of riding... Prefer rockier stuff to mud