dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Beta Forum

Beta Forum My bike is Beta than yours!

Old 21-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

48mm OC Ohlins onto Beta.

I'm about halfway through, figured somebody might be interested.

I got the forks, triples, axle and caliper from an 06 TM.

The really easy bits:
Forks go straight into Beta triples.
Beta fork guards go straight on.
TM and Beta brake rotors are the same diameter.

The slightly more effort bits:
TM axle is much smaller diameter than the Beta one. 6204 bearings bridge the gap.
The Beta crush tube between the bearings is way too large ID to use with the 6204s. I had an old Kawi rear one, which my friendly local bike shop machined down to the correct length.
I had an old spacer which was the right size to space the wheel correctly between the fork legs. Origin unknown.

At this stage, I have the forks on the bike, with the wheel bolted up securely and in the right location.

Things still to be done:
Counter sink the bolt holes in the brake rotor and fit countersunk bolts. The hex head bolts hit on the caliper mount.
Machine 2.25mm off the face where the caliper mounts to the fork leg. This is to get the caliper sitting evenly over the rotor. Currently, the outer face of the rotor touches on the inside of the caliper mount.
Buy two seals: 25x47x as skinny as I can get, and 26x47x as skinny as I can get. 4mm would be ideal, but 5mm would OK too.

Things I haven't worked out yet:
How to _neatly_ mount the speedo pick up on the Brembo caliper.

And that appears to be the sum total of what's required.
Longer term, I want to replace the brake side bearing and spacer with a different bearing and a customise spacer that presses into the bearing, like the Beta set up.
I would also make it so the OD is 25mm to match the other side.
Old 21-06-2017
dbw Pro Addict

Should also mention the back story...

Im perfectly happy with the stock '13 Sachs forks. I've even got the correct springs for my 92kg that I still haven't fitted because I like the way the bike behaves... This is not to say that I think they are perfect or anything, but they are the only set of forks I've been happy to leave the stock springs in...

I bought the Ohlins to fit to another bike (basically an 01 YZ125). Despite what I'd read, when they turned up, they were 48mm not 46mm. This made them a hassle to fit to the YZ, so I looked at what else they'd fit on - which was the Beta!
Old 04-04-2018
dbw Pro

Im getting a Beta in a few weeks & I have some 48 OC Ohlins from my old Gasser. I guess I'll be going down this path soon. Iv got a Brembo on mine too
Old 04-04-2018
dbw Pro Legend

This sounds like the ducks nuts for a swapover....especially compared to what other combos (And the effing around involved) are out there for the beta.

Of all the bikes Ive slung a leg over lately it was only SSS kayaba and an old Tm125 equipped with Ohlins.that really impressed me. Hopping on the Tm the fork worked unbelievably well over small trail shyte and then easily sucked up big hard fast jumps extremely and equally impressively.
Makes you wonder how some of the manufacturers can get it so wrong for so long.....And in some circumstances go backwards

Old 22-05-2018
dbw Pro

Thumbs up

Starting fork conversion now. The ohlins axle is about 10mm longer but the same diameter. Almost a straight swap.

Very excit!!!