dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 26-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brugger View Post
Hey Pete, maybe you can shed some light on this for me.

Now towball weight is transferred to the tow vehicle counting towards the GVM. (As I understand it) Yep.

My Ute has a GVM of 2730kg, towing capacity of 1800kg, towball weight of 180kg and a GCM of 4530kg.

If Iím towing max and the towball weight is part of the GVM, then I can never get to my GCM, unless Iím towing say 1980kg with a 180kg towball weight, which as I understand is over.
So my question is: is the towing capacity based on GTM or ATM? If itís GTM then technically I can tow 1980 kg legally, but if itís ATM then I can only tow 1800, and never load to GCM. Confusing huh?
GTM can't exceed the manufacturers max tow weight

Itís not an issue for most newer vehicles as for example the Ranger can tow 3500, GVM of 3200 but only a GCM of 6000 or thereabouts.
Towball weight is a part of GVM but...its also part of the GTM of the trailer. The unhitched GTM cant exceed the maximum nameplate weight for that car. This is because the download on the ball is also a shear load on the towbar.

It'd be illegal to tow anything with a GTM over 1800kg

On to your truck fully loaded:
GCM: 4530kg
GTM: 1800kg
GVM: 2730kg

Hitch load:180kg
Fuel:65kg
Bar: 80kg
Family:250kg
load: 155kg
Tare: 2000kg (guess)
Total: 2730kg

155kg isn't much load capability but in reality you'd move all your heavy stuff out of the van and into the tub for safety.
Old 26-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
No they haven't, they are simply going to enforce the National standard which ALL states are bound to do or lose Federal road funding...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
Qld Transport minister has stated the the Qld government will NOT be adopting the federal regulations
Well I'm buggered if I can follow this. The Opposition spokesman said they had NOT drafted new laws. The laws the Minister quoted were Federal standards. Who knows? I pity Inspectors doing blueys today, FFS, even NSW Police bikes don't comply with the law.

I was pulled up by the HWP for a RBT on the HD and the copper said my bars were illegal. (too wide). I politely pointed out that the law pertained to the bar, not the bar assembly. I offered to remove the bar weights, FBW throttle, grip heater switches, grips, etc and measure the actual bar. I googled the relevant section of the Act to show him. All good.

I showed him the section of the Act that made his bike illegal, he just smiled when I said I'd let him off with a warning...
Old 26-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Towball weight is a part of GVM but...its also part of the GTM of the trailer. The unhitched GTM cant exceed the maximum nameplate weight for that car. This is because the download on the ball is also a shear load on the towbar.

It'd be illegal to tow anything with a GTM over 1800kg

On to your truck fully loaded:

GCM: 4530kg

GTM: 1800kg

Hitch load:180kg

Fuel:65kg

Bar: 80kg

Family:250kg

load: 155kg

Tare: 2000kg (guess)

Total: 2730kg

155kg isn't much load capability but in reality you'd move all your heavy stuff out of the van and into the tub for safety.

Thatís what I thought Pete. Iíve actually weighed it, kerb weight by the plate is 1700 ish, she comes in full of fuel (115L) and with all the accessories at 2020kg. Gives me 700 kg to play with, or about 320 with the family and the hitch load, plenty of capacity.

For some there's therapy, for others there's dirtbikes.
Old 26-08-2018
DBW Clubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
Quote:
No they haven't, they are simply going to enforce the National standard which ALL states are bound to do or lose Federal road funding...

The worst vehicle has faults in 68% of production and the best has 44% of their vehicles with faults. Could be blinker globes mate. JD Power is the worlds number one authority on new vehicle faults. You'll notice a Toyota product is #1 (and#3).

Qld Transport minister has stated the the Qld government will NOT be adopting the federal regulations
This is because QLD roads are so good that we don't need the federal money
Old 26-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380EXCQLD View Post
This is because QLD roads are so good that we don't need the federal money
And that's because you've been bludging on the states where people only have one head and ten fingers (Vic, NSW, WA) taking 10% more GST than you pay.

Six fingered riding gloves are expensive I suppose.
Old 26-08-2018
DBW Clubman

The cost of the 2nd helmet is more the issue
It's just evolution though.
It's well established that two heads are better than one and so long as the extra digit is opposable, grip strength is much improved.
We try to keep you lot below the border so that you don't dilute our advanced bloodlines.
Although Gympie has taken this to the extreme
Old 26-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 380EXCQLD View Post
...Although Gympie has taken this to the extreme
Was there ever a better named town?
Oh sorry, we have that...Bogan Gate.