dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

x1000. If you dont have mental illness( namely depression) you couldn't understand( even if you try) how black everything is for the sufferer.
What a sad story.
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Hero

The Age Of Loneliness

On SBS Viceland now.
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I lost my 22 year old son to suicide. I'd give anything to have him back. No-one saw it coming, not even the closest of mates.

RUOK I think is well intended. It certainly is no solution, perhaps just a small band-aid.
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

RUOK...time to move on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
I lost my 22 year old son to suicide. I'd give anything to have him back. No-one saw it coming, not even the closest of mates.

RUOK I think is well intended. It certainly is no solution, perhaps just a small band-aid.

Gees mate thatís terrible for you and your family, my heart goes out to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

I think it's pretty simple if you boil it down.. In my opinion it is all to do with purpose and emotional fulfilment... at an individual level. Or put another way, 'self worth' without it being in an egotistical manner.

This game we play, society you call it.. In it's current state is very little about what you can contribute to it for the greater good of what it is.. and all about how you can have others perceive what you are doing, for your own self interest.

Media and social media probably play into as mentioned above. It amplifies the game.. A place where you tend to manipulate your image to show your worth, which is validated by others in terms of likes, or acknowledged with cheap shots ripping shreds off you.

But even without the social media aspect, life has become somewhat dull and overly structured. Risks are all but mitigated, and what does exist individuals tend not to take any responsibility for. We school, we study, we try to do right by those who have expectations of us, and then we work... It's easy to see how someone could say, what's the point??

I doubt anyone commits on a whim though. I think often it's people who are comfortable in where they are, but maybe not comfortable with who they are or what their purpose is... Viewing from the outside they can seem to be the last person you'd expect; Educated, employed, polite and charismatic..

So how do people learn self worth/self acceptance?? How can you find true purpose in each day??
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Sometimes itís situational as well. Myself for example. Iíve suffered depression and severe anxiety, due to circumstances. Itís hard for me to explain I guess but Iíll sadly admit itís something Iíve thought about, planned and when I was really bad I reckon if I was able to drive I reckon I would have gone through with it. What stopped me is I didnít want my loved ones to find me so I would never have done anything in the house.

For some there's therapy, for others there's dirtbikes.
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Addict

As boys, we are all taught to be "tough" and to "deal with it".
We are taught that anger is the only acceptable negative emotion to show.

Then we wonder why adult men are emotional cripples...

RUOK is never going to be enough because virtually none of us know how to say "No, I'm not".

Until we allow boys to actually show emotions, we are going to continue to have lots of problems with mental health in men.
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac View Post
As boys, we are all taught to be "tough" and to "deal with it".
We are taught that anger is the only acceptable negative emotion to show.

Then we wonder why adult men are emotional cripples...

RUOK is never going to be enough because virtually none of us know how to say "No, I'm not".

Until we allow boys to actually show emotions, we are going to continue to have lots of problems with mental health in men.
I agree.
Old 18-08-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
Gees mate thatís terrible for you and your family, my heart goes out to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thankyou, it's been hard on all of us.

I try to be strong for the rest of the family, sometimes a trigger occurs where I'll break down and cry like a baby (thankfully in private).
I have no shame in admitting, I miss my boy dearly.

We try to celebrate life the best we can and enjoy the good times. Sometimes I feel my son is right with me, even on bike rides. That brings me warmth, even for a moment.
I try to stay distracted the best I can, bike riding and work facilitate this well.

A day never goes bye where I don't long for Josh to be in my arms
Old 19-08-2018
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgibson View Post
If you dont have mental illness( namely depression) you couldn't understand.
The vast majority of people who suicide are not 'ill' as in having a psychiatric illness. They have psychological issues.

These are learned, ingrained and practiced behaviours. We can medicate and operate on the psychiatrically ill. The psychologically ill are a bigger challenge and a much bigger cohort. After 35 years of working with young people and going through a stage of severe psychological injury myself, I'd like to be able to make a difference. Thanks for the input so far lads.