dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Off Track Talk

Off Track Talk Off Topic Stuff, Bench Racing and Other Topics - keep them clean!!!
Proudly Sponsored by www.torpedo7.com.au

Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro

Vanuatu

Just after some feedback on resorts in Vanuatu

Looking to take the wife next year for her birthday, but after looking at the resorts on Vanuatu, I am not sure what' s good and what' s not
looking for 4* if possible, with good meals, on the beach with some water activities available, ok for kids between 8-11

Current bike Sherco 450 11
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro

We had our honeymoon (32 years ago) at LeLagon - was not a bad spot on the Lagoon - could take out a Catamaran most afternoons and was handy to town. Had a kids club. Could snorkel in the Lagoon but not much to see. We could go into Port Vila easily for markets / restaurants.
We were planning to head back this / next year and did a bit of research - The Nasama Resort looks new and nice location, read good reviews - not sure about kids club and is out of Port Vila.
A mate stayed at Iriki Island last year and loved it - again not sure about keeping the kids happy.
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro Champion

I've really no idea as never having been there myself.
Cruise ship's go there: I'd consider that-as an option.

The Cyclone stuffed them up pretty badly apparently.
They've got some odd forms of justice too apparently.

Re. Catamaran: I'm a huge fan of these Aussie's on La Vagabonde.
I'd be reluctant to hire or charter one though: Never having sailed.

Edit: I've hit the red button & posted/sent the/my below to our Mods:
Could you change the title of "Vanuata" to Vanuatu please... as I believe that was an unintentional typographical error on nw2this part.
Genius or Idiot... Sadly it's Defined by the Mediocre Masses... With their Hindsight.
Dicklaimer... The Text above is to be Evaluated by a Responsible Person... Prior to Any Action Being Taken.

*George Carlin*What We Do*No Bravery*Tell the Truth*911*Genetic Armageddon*Carbon Tax*Interplanetary Climate Change*Fracking*Shock Doctrine*Extinction Protocol*
Old 06-09-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Le Lagon is your best bet to keep both the wife and kids happy.

Yes the cyclone did stuff the place and quite a few of the resorts haven't been rebuilt because the insurance companies still haven't paid out (had family involvement in a resort over there).

From my understanding Le Lagon was able to rebuild quite quickly from their own resources.

Vanuatu is a great place, very laid back. There's plenty to do, but you have to look for it. Must do's are Blue Lagoon, Cascades Waterfalls, Zip Lining, Village Tours, and a day trip around the main island.

Duty Free grog is some of the cheapest you'll find anywhere in the world due to all of the cruise ship visits.

Be wary, when cruise ships are in town, the duty free prices go up and so do bus and taxi fares.
Like Us On Facebook
Old 07-09-2018
DBW Clubman

I went there 6 weeks ago for work.

I stayed at Holiday Inn which I'd rate pretty high for family, very clean and meals reasonable price etc. It has 2 pools (one very large) and access to water for sailing, golf course available, close to Port Vila (main city) which has plenty of tourist transport to other islands etc. Recommended unless you want to stay in an isolated resort.

NOTE Vanuatu tip is to use the mini-buses, they're any van/vehicle with a 'B' on the window, only costs 150Vatu (cash only) to go anywhere, just wave them down from side of road. Taxi and hire cars cost a fortune.

Breakas resort is small bungalows near the best waves if you're a surfer, but nothing else near it. I went there in my spare time.
Old 07-09-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Been to llagon ,iririki and Tanna island also , best holiday ever had, so much innocent fun.
Old 08-09-2018
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB23 View Post
Breakas resort is small bungalows near the best waves if you're a surfer, but nothing else near it. I went there in my spare time.
Breakas is adults only, no kids.
Like Us On Facebook
Old 16-09-2018
DBW Expert

We’ve stayed to Irririki 3 times and Lelagon 4 times and seen
most of the other resorts on various tours or bus rides...expect
a bus ride to sometimes detour out of the way to pick up other
passengers from another resort but just enjoy the ride.
IMO Lelagon is hands down the best resort in Port Vila.
Old 17-09-2018
dbw Pro

Thanks for the feedback, I will do some investigations

Current bike Sherco 450 11
Old 15-10-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Having logged in for the first time in 12 months, ive found a thread I can comment on.

I lived in Vanuatu for a while a few years ago and we are regular visitors. Im actually planning a trip back for early next year at present. We go every 12 months.

My recommendations from experience or knowledge. In order for my situation (me, SWMBO, 4yo and 6yo) but you need to work out your budget requirements.

1) Iririki Island. Close to town so great to catch the ferry over to get a meal or shop and then head back easily enough. No cab or bus fares unless you travel out of town. Can get noisy from the nightclubs on weekends when it travels across the water. We have stayed here. You pay for this privilege though

2) Vanuatu Beachfront appts. Great self contained accommodation. Next to Hideaway Island which has great snorkelling. Also next to "the beach bar" great food and fire show. I like self contained so your not eating out each day at high cost. I haven't stayed here but have walked the grounds and its great. 15 mins from town. 700vt taxi to town

3) Le Lagon. Great set up especially for my young kids. I didn't find the restaurant to be that good so we ate out each night which ended up costing in taxi and bus fares. 15 mins to town. 700 Vatu each way in taxi or 200 per adult - 100Vatu child in bus.

4) Erakor Island. Great set up for kids but it is an island. Directly across from Le Lagon so we went across there a couple of times and paid the entry fee. Great swimming and meals were nice. Next to Le Lagon so the taxi fares are the same at 700vt

Unless its a great special for Iririki, we will be at Vanuatu Beachfront appts in March next year for 2 weeks.

Ive never stayed at Holiday Inn but its certainly on the list to review before I book.

Meal recommendations in my opinion.

* War horse Saloon for Mexican
* Stonegrill restaurant for steak
* Chill restaurant in Port Vila. Great meals
* Beach Bar out near Hideaway Island

General tips.

* Change money at Goodies in town. Best rates around.
* Negotiate a taxi and haggle. I have a local friend who has a taxi so we use him. I wont pay more than $100AUD for a full day trip from a general taxi driver. Thankfully my friend gives me mates rates now.
* General street smarts. Don't walk back alleys at night, stay in groups and well lit, don't carry huge cash amounts.
* Everything is on island time. Be prepared for things to take longer and plan accordingly. If the kids eat at a certain time, allow an extra 20 mins on top.
* Fung Kuei is the best Duty free. Jim Beam apple flavour last year was $23 for 1Lt. Standard white label was $18
* Don't take lollies for the kids. Dentistry costs a fortune there and we all know what sugar can do. Ask your taxi driver to take you to an out of the way school. Last time I took cheap soccer balls, tennis balls and stationery.

Hope that helps.

And the Lord said unto John: "Come forth and receive eternal life"
But John came fifth and won a Honda.........