dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Yamaha Forum

Yamaha Forum For the True Blues.

Old 24-09-2019
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluffie View Post
Other thing is that the wr has always been worse on fuel economy then ktm/huskys that can get anywhere from 100km to 150km's out of a tank depending on the type of terrain so the wr 450 really needs a bigger tank then they have on the bike(+2 or 3 ltrs).
Add extra weight for an aftermarket tank and the extra fuel to fill it, if it's needed.
Maybe this has changed with the new wr's but i haven't seen any good mileage reports on the wr450. Any chance of getting 150k's on a high country ride out of a wr 450 anybody?
Imo yamaha deliberately kept the tank to a minimum to make the big thinner at the shrouds and to keep the wet weight brochure weight down.
All manufacturers are cagey and well aware with the advertised weights of their bikes and the impact it has on sales and people's opinions.
Some magazine reviewers also are briefed on what they publish. If you know the reviewer well you can often get a slightly different spin on things when speaking to them or in a couple of years when they move on.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
IMO, there's always way too much focus on weight. Some people are obsessed with a couple of kilos here and there.

A poorly set up lighter bike can feel much heavier to ride than one that's well set-up.

People used to whinge about electric start making the bikes too heavy, but soon realised the pros are far more beneficial than a few extra kgs. Now most riders won't even consider bikes that don't have electric start.

Yamaha were one of the last to add leccy legs to their WRs and sales tanked as a result.

You're right on the fuel economy though. I've managed 180ks before reserve on my 350 while the two WRs on the same ride had to add fuel twice to go the same distance. The 250s seem to use as much juice as the 450s due to higher rpms.

Each to their own. People are getting way too brand focused. Far too one eyed when choices have never been better. Most punters ride at the same pace no matter what they're on.

If it makes you smile, who cares what it is
Like Us On Facebook
Old 24-09-2019
dbw Pro

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac450 View Post
IMO, there's always way too much focus on weight. Some people are obsessed with a couple of kilos here and there.

A poorly set up lighter bike can feel much heavier to ride than one that's well set-up.

People used to whinge about electric start making the bikes too heavy, but soon realised the pros are far more beneficial than a few extra kgs. Now most riders won't even consider bikes that don't have electric start.

Yamaha were one of the last to add leccy legs to their WRs and sales tanked as a result.

You're right on the fuel economy though. I've managed 180ks before reserve on my 350 while the two WRs on the same ride had to add fuel twice to go the same distance. The 250s seem to use as much juice as the 450s due to higher rpms.

Each to their own. People are getting way too brand focused. Far too one eyed when choices have never been better. Most punters ride at the same pace no matter what they're on.

i only care if its a Yamaha
Old 24-09-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Geoff Ballard WR450F review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
i only care if its a Yamaha

You obviously donít like to smile when you ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
DBW Expert

I haven't been fortunate enough to ride the 2019. I have a 2014 and a slight love hate relationship with the bike. I filled the gaps with a Yz250 2 stroke, but am defiantly a 450 fan.

Can anyone give me a bit of a comparison 2019 compared to 2012-2015? As in night and day difference, meh its a bit better ect..

Im assuming there will be some good run out prices coming along soon!

Thanks
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac450 View Post

True until you're picking up an upside down heavier 4t in a slippery rut. I've got both love how planted the wr feels but much prefer picking up the ktm after i go down
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Well that was a waste of time!

31 pages....

And I think 1 bloke commented on riding one.

"Wow, I've missed so much...."
Old 6 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Do they start easily on the button. The sound of a wr450 winding, winding,winding then feebly nearly starting, followed by more winding,winding,winding. You get the picture. It's annoying and amusing at the same time.

KTM, stab button ride away
Old 6 Days Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldboy View Post
Do they start easily on the button. The sound of a wr450 winding, winding,winding then feebly nearly starting, followed by more winding,winding,winding. You get the picture. It's annoying and amusing at the same time.

KTM, stab button ride away
Ouch
Old 6 Days Ago
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J D View Post
Ouch
Too aggressive
Old 4 Days Ago
DBW Expert

I bought a run out sale 2019 Wr450 on saturday and can post up some constructive feed back soon