dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 11-08-2009
dbw Pro Legend

CRF250X Seat swap

Searching for a complete seat for a 2008 model CRF250X.
OK I am not to sure how Honda handle there part numbers and updates so I will ask the question.

Are CRF250 X and R seats interchangeable?
(If the battery were to disappear)

Are CRF250X and CRF450X seats interchangeable?

If so what years?

My problem is I need another complete seat.
SDG (Ballards supplier) only do seats for the R models.
Has anyone sourced a complete seat from anywhere else?

Warning: Mountain Bikes will steal your weekends
Old 11-08-2009
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I don't know the exact answers, but I can tell you all CRF seats do interchange if there is no battery, at least in the sense that you can bolt them on.

BUT

The subframe rails on the 05R, 06-09R and 250X's are all different heights and the plasic hook under the seat is also at a different height.

Complete genuine seats are pretty cheap off ebay. If I was to try an R seat I'd go the newer gen R's but you may end up leaning back a little (but not alot) harley style!
Old 11-08-2009
dbw Pro Champion

Hmmmmmm what's going on in the Explorer/OZX household that someone's Honda needs a new seat I wonder? Is someone going from Blue to Red??

Seaworld - still enslaving wild orcas and dolphins for human entertainment. Please boycott Seaworld - it's having an effect.
Old 11-08-2009
dbw Pro Champion

250/450seats are different as are X and R seats even with the battery removed. If your X base is ok, you can put R foam and cover on it with no drama's. What's wrong with yours??

2016 Beta 300 RR, 2013 KTM500 EXC, !
Plus all this vintage stuff!!!!!!
72 Husky 400, 73 Husky 250, 77 RM 370x2 77 Honda CR 125, 79 Honda CR125, XR 75, 79 XL500 Honda hybird, 86 Suzuki TSX 250, 82 Honda CR480,83 CR250, 83 YZ 490, 77 Honda 750/4, 77 Maico 400 84 KDX 200/ 250, 90 KDX200
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
Complete genuine seats are pretty cheap off ebay....!
It seems I will have to wait for one to appear on ebay... but I assume I need an 08/09 due to the new tank in 08.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
... Is someone going from Blue to Red??
Just keeping our options open while Dora has some time off the bike with her ACL recovery, I would find it difficult to sell the WR since it has not put a foot wrong and just gets better every time out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
... What's wrong with yours??
Cheers, nothing wrong with the stocker as such. I would just like to be able to swap between the low seat (Stock modified) and a standard seat.

My wife uses this seat (Stock modified).

Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZX View Post
It seems I will have to wait for one to appear on ebay... but I assume I need an 08/09 due to the new tank in 08.

Just keeping our options open while Dora has some time off the bike with her ACL recovery, I would find it difficult to sell the WR since it has not put a foot wrong and just gets better every time out.

Cheers, nothing wrong with the stocker as such. I would just like to be able to swap between the low seat (Stock modified) and a standard seat.

My wife uses this seat (Stock modified).
Sorry to hijack the thread. Where did you get that number plate holder? I want that exact one for my 250x but haven't been able to find one.
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Pre-08 seats will be a tad wider around the tank area and as such does not sit perfectly flush on the sides... but otherwise essentially the same seat. Something you or an upholsterer could fix up in a matter of minutes if you have a staple gun.
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfnick View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread. Where did you get that number plate holder? I want that exact one for my 250x but haven't been able to find one.
Keg sells them for $49 from memory. It is a universal unit with LEDs.

Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Location: island jungle where dreams will come true, down here where we all screw
Quote:
Originally Posted by crfnick View Post
I got one in my spares with the bike. I have seen them in most bike shops.
Old 12-08-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
250/450seats are different as are X and R seats even with the battery removed. If your X base is ok, you can put R foam and cover on it with no drama's. What's wrong with yours??
I wanted a tall seat for my X, the cheapest method was to buy a complete SDG seat for an '05 R from Ballards, remove the foam and cover from it and fit them to my X seat base.
It worked out to be either $100 for a tall foam, and $100 for a cover, (and more if you want to add a step) or $160odd for a complete seat
(the saving will pay for a very nice staple gun from Bunnings, get a GOOD one, the cheaper ones dont drive the staples in very well.!)

I just had to chop out the bottom of the R foam to fit the X base due to the battery.
but i now can use the X foamto make a low seat for an R that i was thinking of ebaying....but might keep to put back on the bike for resale.

The SDG tall seat is very nice.....it is very soft and comfy compared to the stock, and i put in a half peice of 21" Mousse tube as a step. It works well.just enough to remind me to get my ass forward in corners, and a little bit of assistance to stay forward if you get stuck paddling on a hill
I would have liked a pretty colour, but black was all that was in stock, and it is a long wait (8 to 10 weeks i was told !)to order a complete seat.