dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > Competition & Racing

Competition & Racing Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.jdjetting.com.au

Old 22-01-2018
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADAL View Post
And a fleet of V8 hiluxs still couldn't beat a diesel Peugeot ,

First up, I am NOT a Peugeot fan - not by a LONG shot. But respect where it is due man - they are proven hardy vehicles (albeit very different vehicles to those used in the Dakar, I know).

You know, I laughed when I saw Top Gear doing their "Africa Special" where they selected what they thought would be the cars best suited to handle African conditions (they chose an Subaru, Volvo, and BMW), and the "Worlds Best Taxi" where they selected a Toyota Hiace for South Africa. They CLEARLY hadn't done their research very well because if they had they would have seen that the Peugeot 504 Stationwagon is easily the winner.

Seriously, those things make the "indestructible Hilux" look positively weak in real world abuse conditions. Just type "africa peugeot taxi" into Google and click on the images link to see the poor cars carrying busloads of people and truckloads of cargo to the point where their suspension is totally compressed, and yet they still drove. I know for a fact (because one of my teachers at school operated a a few "Emergency Taxi" Peugeot's that they would easily go double the milage between oil changes, run on the worst quality fuel you could hope to, and in the most inhospitable conditions and still run for milages that you would think were made up. I don't know how over-engineered those 504's were but they were seriously resilient.

Oh, and I am not denying that the Hilux is a strong and rugged vehicle - they are. So please don't go thinking I'm a Toyota hater coz I'm not. My little Toyota Corolla copped way more abuse than any other car I've owned and still cost me nearly nothing to keep running.

Anyway, back on topic, hats off to Andrew Short for his transition from MX/SX to rally and for finishing the race on a broken ankle. I really enjoyed watching Lyndon Poskitt's daily updates in the Malle class - what a great positive happy guy he is. Good late charge by Toby - for only having 2 weeks prep for the race that was an impressive showing! Congrats to KTM for not only their own strong finish but for getting Gasgas into the top 10 as well I'm not a Sainz fan, but congrats to him in the cars.

Looking forward to next years race already!
Old 22-01-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
From what I understand Redbull are nowhere near as flush with money as they used to be when they were petty much the only energy drink on the market - so they've actually been scaling back a lot on their sponsorship commitments. I suspect that they will take this as an opportunity to take a different approach to their Dakar sponsorship and maybe sponsor more vehicles and riders with smaller amounts to get good media coverage but at a smaller overall dollar outlay.

This is a totally uninformed opinion BTW - I may be very wide of the mark.
Apparently the SXS class is going to be a big thing, most of them just cruised thru, beating cars with triple budgets, power etc.
Old 22-01-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by poper View Post
Apparently the SXS class is going to be a big thing, most of them just cruised thru, beating cars with triple budgets, power etc.
Yep. And the guy who won this year was born in 1959. There is hope yet that we can do a Dakar popes.
Old 22-01-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKMAN View Post
7th for Stage 14 and 8th overall in Moto G1.1 Elite
Ok, not sure what you are looking at Sharky??

Laia was 11th on stage 14 and 12th overall?

https://www.dakar.com/en/rankings/stage-14/Bike?type=cg
Old 22-01-2018
dbw Pro Champion

U got no eye dear ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers

Sharkman ..

For Sale:
Scalvini Pipe + Carbon Silencer 4 Freeride 250 $690 Delivered ..
New rear guard .. $100 delivered ..
Freeride Bendix 18/30 (New Welded Variant) ..
Freeride Crown Gear to match 18/30 Bendix ..

Top Tripple $165 ..
Bottom Tripple on steering shaft $220 ..

You ring I bring ..

Old 22-01-2018
dbw Pro Addict

Location: island jungle where dreams will come true, down here where we all screw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctra View Post
From what I understand Redbull are nowhere near as flush with money as they used to be when they were petty much the only energy drink on the market - so they've actually been scaling back a lot on their sponsorship commitments. I suspect that they will take this as an opportunity to take a different approach to their Dakar sponsorship and maybe sponsor more vehicles and riders with smaller amounts to get good media coverage but at a smaller overall dollar outlay.

This is a totally uninformed opinion BTW - I may be very wide of the mark.
Red Bull is way more than just an energy drink company now. Even though I reckon sales would effect stuff like this, I would have thought they are relatively unconnected to $$ invested in teams like that.
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=125033
Old 25-01-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Poskitt vid #19

This is a good one....