dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 28-09-2019
dbw Pro Addict

I know people that ride Kato purely because of dealer network not the bikes , I sometimes feel it would be an easier option for parts then GasGas but can't get my head around spending way more money for a lesser bike , I'd rather occasionally bang my head on a wall trying to get parts then ride orange .
Old 29-09-2019
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggchris View Post
KTM obviously disagree.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I would say they see a basket case similar to what Husqvarna was, that could be bought cheaply and made better. I wonder if all three brands will end up with the same engine. Maybe it is a way to keep a carby engine in the 2T range? But hopefully the KTM engine and not the GAS GAS one.
Old 29-09-2019
dbw Pro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
I would say they see a basket case similar to what Husqvarna was, that could be bought cheaply and made better. I wonder if all three brands will end up with the same engine. Maybe it is a way to keep a carby engine in the 2T range? But hopefully the KTM engine and not the GAS GAS one.
Different scenario , BMW destroyed Husky who had some nice bikes before the takeover then changed the lineup , GasGas has brilliant bikes and as far as I'm concerned the best on market but poor management , GasGas has the best 2t on the market and if Kato slots their own engine in there they'll destroy the package . I won't buy one if they do .
Old 29-09-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADAL View Post
Different scenario , BMW destroyed Husky who had some nice bikes before the takeover then changed the lineup , GasGas has brilliant bikes and as far as I'm concerned the best on market but poor management , GasGas has the best 2t on the market and if Kato slots their own engine in there they'll destroy the package . I won't buy one if they do .
I agree.
The bikes are superb, it's ridiculous to argue to the contrary. It's a great package. Hopefully it stays that way and KTM restrict their maniacal influence to the electric side..

GG are a long way from the state that husky were in, too..

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
'05 EC300
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

General Manager Close Motorcycles - Honda, Suzuki, GasGas and Kymco in Sydney
Old 29-09-2019
"The Crack Of DOOM"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
...But hopefully the KTM engine and not the GAS GAS one.
This comment confuses me Pete. Have you ridden the new Gassers? The 3 that I have had the good fortune to ride (a 250, and the other 2 were 300's - a Six Days and a GP) had friggin' superb feeling engines. The 250 actually blew me away at how nice it felt.

And unlike my KTM that needs the "wet mod" to keep the starter going nicely and not lunching the bendix (and even with the wet mod my KTM starter only really likes working when the bike is hot and the oil provides minimal resistance). Conversely it seems the only mod the Gasser needs for its starter motor is an upgraded cable (and I think that might have been sorted already on the current year bikes.

Given the engine in the Gasser is rock solid and the fact that the tooling to manufacture it has paid itself off by now, I would hope they just keep the current donk and focus their efforts on leveraging the Trials bikes to develop a pumpkin range of Trials bikes. But the press releases seem to focus on the electric bike side of Gasgas, which I don't really know anything about. Maybe they're going to use the Gasgas brand more for that line until they iron out the kinks and then slap orange sticker on the bikes?
Old 29-09-2019
dbw Pro Hero

Yep, I've ridden the Ranger 300 and the new 250. Liked them both. I'm a 250 guy and I did like the feel of the Gas Gas 250 engine for sure. But it wasn't as good as my two year older('18) KTM 250. It bogged down quite a bit and needed revving to clear it out. When it ran clean it was good.

The Ranger suspension felt harsh, and didn't have me raving. The brakes were weak as. So I think they have a little way to go before I'd buy one. But if you're looking for a cheaper alternative, I believe you get what you pay for. Mind you the Ranger probably is better than my 250 Freeride but being nearly 6 years newer it ought to be. The Freeride is a different style of bike though. The Ranger is a more direct comparison to a Beta XT.

I won't pay $15k plus for a new bike though. So I'll do what I usually do and look for a demo bike at a good price.

I've never done the wet mod either by the way. Had to change the Bendix on my Freeride is all.

I'll have to think about this in 2021 I guess. A KTM Gas Gas might well be worth a look by then.

Love my Gas Gas trials bike.
Old 29-09-2019
dbw Pro Legend

if ktm owns the brand or 60% of it, they have the premium huskies the other not so premium ktm and now the gassers at the lower end of the pricing scale, they now have a bike for every price market plus they have a high value brand for the trails market, smart move
Old 30-09-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggg View Post
if ktm owns the brand or 60% of it, they have the premium huskies the other not so premium ktm and now the gassers at the lower end of the pricing scale, they now have a bike for every price market plus they have a high value brand for the trails market, smart move
Hadn't thought of it that way. Intriguing.
Problem with that is the Huskies end up selling for cost 'cause no one wants them for the ridiculous RRP.
Old 30-09-2019
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbagga View Post
Hadn't thought of it that way. Intriguing.
Problem with that is the Huskies end up selling for cost 'cause no one wants them for the ridiculous RRP.
Is that at the dealers expense though ?
Old 30-09-2019
dbw Pro Legend

Ktm/gas gas

I wonder how long the KYB suspension will stay on the Gassers ???