dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

TAC and reporting a crash

So heres a story to consider and how would you handle it ?

Easter weekend , me and some mates hit up for a ride.

Riding track and blind corner -- 2 bikes side by side hittin it along, then corner . damn 4wd comin, one bails wide and destroys 4 trees and brakes bars as he ejects at 50k/hr over the bars.

Other, drops bike and slides under car and stops.

Attention to both finds .
1st rider under car - hit wheel and bounced back seems ok.
2nd hits trees hard, not looking good huge hit on appendix. stabilised and after a while ok.

Talk with driver and riders after an hour or so all ok lets move on. (had to transport bikes)

3 days later, rider under car back still sore, goes to doctor 2 cracked vertebrae.

Makes a TAC claim due to no S/L at work, told to report accident to police.
Police advise they will charge with reckless driving,

How is this figured, no other driver known, no other details. Got to go to court possibly.

How do you figure that one? Told as a p plater it is treated different???

This could happen to you

No work S/L so contact TAC re getting support and bang the possibility of a huge fine and loss of licence, I dont get it??
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Factory Pro

sorry to hear mate and hope your mate gets through it all ok...

i made a claim earlier this year and was shocked when told by the police that i may get charged with reckless riding - i was told this was HIGHLY unlikely as it was a sinlge vehicle accident and other then the fact i came off there was nothing to say it was reckless - unfortunatly, and im no lawyer/expert etc., in the situation you've described they were riding 2 abreast and rounded a corner so theres probably a fair argument that it would have been reckless...

once again, i hope it all works out from a police point of view and moreimportantly that your mate makes a full recovery, good luck

99 RMX250 - Gone

94 RMX250 - Gone

Formerly "94RMX250".
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Thats very ordinary-are the police actually going to charge him is or that hung out as a threat to prevent him making them do paperwork? Have heard of this before but in my case, I went to a big police station and they couldnt care less. Whinged about the paperwork but never crossed his mind to carry on and look at charging me.

In your case, who is to say that the 4wd isnt to blame. Did he actually proceed with the report?

Theres always the chance that the copper made noise about charges but he has to go through a process and nothing might come of it.

'08 WR450F-gathering dust (in the shed)
'06 WR450F
-Now broken and gone. It was nice knowing ya.
'05 WR250F-STOLEN!!!!![/B]
'66 SHEENY-mended

Club Mud 332
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Factory Pro

mate, what Sheeny said is also very true, i copped the whole attitude about having to do the paperwork as well. seems the police think that the TAC should be doing the reports themselves and that its a waste of their time having to do it...

for what its worth, nothing ever came of my possible reckless riding/driving charge....

99 RMX250 - Gone

94 RMX250 - Gone

Formerly "94RMX250".
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Thats very ordinary-are the police actually going to charge him is or that hung out as a threat to prevent him making them do paperwork? Have heard of this before but in my case, I went to a big police station and they couldnt care less. Whinged about the paperwork but never crossed his mind to carry on and look at charging me.

In your case, who is to say that the 4wd isnt to blame. Did he actually proceed with the report?

Theres always the chance that the copper made noise about charges but he has to go through a process and nothing might come of it.
Unfortunately he has to go thru whatever, has a house to pay for. no income no house, thats what sucks. early days , ie just done the police stuff ( but thats what hes been told) but it looks like a court date. I cant figure it but the guy has to do it or have the possibility of loosing not only his job but his house also
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

[QUOTE=jib;1030435]So heres a story to consider and how would you handle it ?

Riding track and blind corner -- 2 bikes side by side hittin it along, then corner . damn 4wd comin, one bails wide and destroys 4 trees and brakes bars as he ejects at 50k/hr over the bars.

2nd hits trees hard, not looking good huge hit on appendix. stabilised and after a while ok.

Talk with driver and riders after an hour or so all ok lets move on. (had to transport bikes)

3 days later, rider under car back still sore, goes to doctor 2 cracked vertebrae.

How is this figured, no other driver known, no other details. Got to go to court possibly.

This could happen to you

No work S/L so contact TAC re getting support and bang the possibility of a huge fine and loss of licence, I dont get it??[/QUOTE

Not sure about your state but in SA its illegal to ride side by side and since it was around a blind corner, they you go reckless driving.
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jib View Post
Unfortunately he has to go thru whatever, has a house to pay for. no income no house, thats what sucks. early days , ie just done the police stuff ( but thats what hes been told) but it looks like a court date. I cant figure it but the guy has to do it or have the possibility of loosing not only his job but his house also
Understand that, I was just going to suggest that if he hadnt gone through with the report, go to the nearest big station where they actually have crime to deal with rather than busting peoples balls.

Cops have to get a provable case up to go to court so who's their key witness? Your mate?

'08 WR450F-gathering dust (in the shed)
'06 WR450F
-Now broken and gone. It was nice knowing ya.
'05 WR250F-STOLEN!!!!![/B]
'66 SHEENY-mended

Club Mud 332
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

Example/

I was riding along with friends, paying all due care and attention. I was travelling at a safe speed, cant remember what speed exactly but I was travelling around a blind bend, so was definately not travelling to fast. A 4wd came around the bend, I was forced to brake heavily, and as result my front wheels slid (due to conditions) I was unable to avoid the collision, same for 4wd.

We stopped and spoke to the driver of the 4wd. I did not think at the time I was really injured, I thought I was just in shock and a little sore. After a few days I was getting worse so I went to the Dr.

I do not believe I was riding recklessely at any point, I was riding within the limitations of the track/road, conditions and myself.
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

[QUOTE=ggg;1030474]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jib View Post
So heres a story to consider and how would you handle it ?

This could happen to you

No work S/L so contact TAC re getting support and bang the possibility of a huge fine and loss of licence, I dont get it??[/QUOTE

Not sure about your state but in SA its illegal to ride side by side and since it was around a blind corner, they you go reckless driving.

It was the bloke on the left that is injured if you can understand that? Not the one on the right

Damn it would have been so easy if he had a bail path, BUT *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#& me cars are wide and on left hand blind corners theres nothing left but a left hand front tyre of a car to hit when you slide.

He rode the bike to the death, basically that was the problem, should have thrown it and let it go thru the bull bar. *@#&*@#&*@#&*@#&in driver of the car was on the right as it was from the track as I seen it when I turned up. BUT without pics its worthless and the track was no more than a car wide so I carnt figure how people can say shoulda been on the left.

As its only a car wide road.

If its a nominated road on a map how can this be treated? stay left and the car should not have been there! Or the DSE would have been into him for choppin down trees

How wide is this track??
Old 07-05-2010
dbw Pro Legend

track

Track width