dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Beta Forum

Beta Forum My bike is Beta than yours!

Old 21-11-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Beta four stroke known issues? RR350 RR390 RR430 RR480

when i managed to beg a test ride of the xtrainer a few weeks back, there was another guy having a go on the RR430. i've got no plans to go back to thumpers but we swapped for a while and was impressed with the 430 and thought i'd knock up a quick review about it. thanks guys for your contributions below...

overall conclusion is just the usual list of small niggling things like any brand or model:
- pointy sidestand can sink in mud, needs a broader base
- riders who sit a lot find the seat is hard
- 7.6L fuel tank a bit small for longer rides
- some riders find the clutch pull a bit heavy (fit an MY14 slave cylinder for $64)
- make sure you don't get water in your steering lock when washing
- replace plastic oil pump gears at 100 hours
- lower frame rails can get bashed in nasty terrain, needs a solid skidplate.

EDIT: the next adventure bike project with FFRC is shiny new beta RR480, given my lack of finances i've decided to use it as my dirt bike for a few months as well while i save for a xtrainer. here are my first impressions on the big beta thumper, loving this bike so far.

Old 21-11-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Not a lot really
-Black fuel tanks on the pre MY16s. Clear tanks available for under $300
-Could do with a bit more fuel capacity for longer rides, BETA Oz working with local supplier on larger tank options for the whole range.
-clutch lever pull, fit a MY14 Race slave cylinder for $64
Old 21-11-2015
dbw Pro

Have a 2016 390 no issues yet as have only done 3 hrs . Very happy so far ,great torquey engine and suspension feels good for me at 75 Kg. Yet to test fuel range but hope it will do around 110-120.

If Safari do make a tank I hope it is around 11 litre not 15.5 like some of the late model Yamaha's which to me is overkill for the normal day ride
Old 22-11-2015
dbw Pro

Rear brake light switch went for a toss; replaced under guarantee.

Linkage bearing was rusted, maintenance backlog. Inspect regularly!

Furthermore pretty bombproof.
Old 22-11-2015
"The Crack Of DOOM"

CYLINDER HEAD COVER ACCESS
There is very cramped/restricted access to the cylinder head bolts and cover to be able to remove the cover and check valve clearances. Get a set of "Stubby Allen Keys" (I bought mine off eBay) for removing the cover bolts. I have found easiest to undo the left radiator bolts to be able to move the radiator out of the way in order to remove the head cover.

SPARK PLUG HOLE RUBBER GASKET
When removing the head cover to check valve clearances, there is a rubber gasket around the spark plug hole that is easy to lose or not have perfectly placed when putting the cover pack on. If this happens there is a leak hole on the right hand side of the cylinder that will dribble oil as it drains oil that wells up around the spark plug as it gets by the seal.

MUDFLAP WEARING SWINGARM
The mudflap that bolts onto the airbox to protect the rear shock from debris flung ff the rear wheel has a tendancy to rub on the swingarm and wear it. Use a couple of zipties around the swingarm to hold the mudflap away from the swingarm.
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s....php?p=1817521

BRITTLE PLASTICS
The Front mudguard seems to be pretty brittle and snaps relatively easily compared to other bikes plastics. Not much you can do about this, but fortunately they are pretty cheap from Beta Australia.
mr bergman has a little trick with the rear mudguard to protect it a bit if you loop out doing wheelies - cuts on either side of the mudguard so that the plastic can fold rather than snapping.

SIDE STAND FOOTPRINT
It is a common complaint that the side stand footprint is too small so it sinks into the solid pretty easily under the weight of the bike. Glue or bolt a large washer onto the bottom of the shoe to fix this like I did on my bike - http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...34#post1945034

OIL PUMP GEAR FAILURE
There are 3 plastic gears under the clutch basket that drive the oil pump. There have been a few reports of the gear teeth stripping or the gear running off the clutch breaking in two causing the pump to stop cirularing oil to the cams resulting in the engine siezing. I'm trying to get an answer on why Beta choose plastic over aluminium before I get a set of aluminium ones of Boano Beta (http://www.beta.boano.com/ita/foto.asp?prd=1700), but if you stick with the plastic ones I have seen people advising replacing the gears every 100 hours, especially if you have been doing very hot engine riding which degrades the plastic quicker. The Beta manual (http://www.betausa.com/sites/default...%20RRmotul.pdf) on page 56 recommends inspecting the gears at 90 hours and replacing them at 180 hours, but that seems to be excessive. Accessing 2 of the 3 gears is pretty easy, but accessing the 3rd looks like it needs removal of the kick starter and whole right side engine cover (which I assume will need a gasket replacement too) - http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...72#post1950972

STEERING LOCK WATER INGRESS
Like the 2T's the steering lock hole is reported to let water get into the steering head and dribble down to the lower bearings causing them to rust. There are a few tricks to solve this from cutting the finger off a plastic/rubber glove to slip over the keyhole, filling the keyhole with silicone, or removing the locking mechanism altogether and filling the housing with silicone or a Beta USA Steering Lock Plug (http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/steer...is_bling?pp=12)

FRAME BOLT TORQUES
It is probably good practice for any new bike to check the bolts are all torqued properly, but there are a few bolts on the Beta that need checking. Beta USE has a nice 2010-2014 RR/RS 4 Stroke Torque Values fact sheet - http://www.betausa.com/sites/default...4%20Stroke.pdf

Old 22-11-2015
dbw Pro Legend

awesome, thanks guys. arcrtra i kind of knew you'd have THE list.

i worked some of this into a review video...

Old 10-01-2016
"The Crack Of DOOM"

I found another problem with my bike design. The engine ventilation tube that connects the flywheel cover side of the engine to the carb (for vacuum?) seems to run too close to the powerbomb header. So mine seemed to have touched the header, hardened, and ended up cracking. Here's a pic of the break:

Fortunately a similar hose off of a Yamaha WR is actually a better fit than the stock Beta one. BONUS!

It would be worth your while checking your bike to make sure you don't have a similar problem.
Old 28-05-2016
dbw Pro

Location: Just around the corner from that place over the hill
Brake side fork guard rubs on upper fork, slowly eating it. Keep an eye on this, adjust the brake hose, putting a fraction more slack on the lower side helps keep it off the upper fork leg.

Nothing else to report yet.
Old 28-05-2016
DBW Clubman

Quotey: i've got no plans to go back to thumpers

Old 28-05-2016
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakynuts View Post
Brake side fork guard rubs on upper fork, slowly eating it. Keep an eye on this, adjust the brake hose, putting a fraction more slack on the lower side helps keep it off the upper fork leg.

Nothing else to report yet.
Heat gun sneaky.