dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Husqvarna Forum

Husqvarna Forum Huskys R Us

Old 20-02-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Carbies will run for a few more years in the countries that allow them
That's an emmissions issue, if you can get through euro 4 with a carbie, you have a cheap simple product and therefore potentially a huge market.

As they move to euro 5 then 6 etc, 2 strokes will eventually become too expensive and too compromised to keep bringing to the market.
Old 20-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

I don't think tpi is much cleaner then the carb. It is controlled more so less tampering and the oil ratio being non adjustable is where it will be better at getting through emissions.
Apparently to pass the noise tests at some offroad events the ktm technicians had to detune it with different mapping,then swap it back once it passed.
Not sure if they just lowered the limiter revs or other?
Old 20-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Cleaner?
In the most general of terms this means less of the bad stuff leaving the muffler.
Burnt/Unburnt Oil - The TPI bike I follow never shows a puff of smoke anywhere, anytime. It can meter down to 100:1, or better.
Poor fuel burn - I'm pretty sure the computer does a better job metering the fuel than MOST carburettors on MOST 2Ts around the world.
I don't follow Euro emission changes/targets so I take everyone's word on the subject.
Old 20-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Tpi runs borderline to lean but new richer maps are being flashed and most riders seem to be endorsing more fuel which would mean more emissions i suppose.
Not sure if oil ratio's can be altered with the existing ktm setup but sand/desert riders would like a bit more oil to go with the extra fuel for reliability and longer engine life.
Old 21-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac450 View Post
I don't believe battery/electric vehicles are the future. They're just a gap filler until they can come up with something better, like hydrogen or some other power source yet to be tapped.

We won't really see too much movement until oil supplies start to become critical or too expensive. That's when the oil giants will lose control of the market.
Agreed & I doubt this will be in my riding lifetime!
Old 21-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac450 View Post
I don't believe battery/electric vehicles are the future. They're just a gap filler until they can come up with something better, like hydrogen or some other power source yet to be tapped.

We won't really see too much movement until oil supplies start to become critical or too expensive. That's when the oil giants will lose control of the market.
Whatever comes next will be a stopgap, for sure.

The adoption of electric vehicles depends as much on politics as technology - probably more so. The technology is there for a useful electric vehicle. It improves daily, so manufacturers of the end product (rather than the battery) are reluctant to tool up and build a product that is immediately out of date as the market gallops past. They need something that slows down the product churn, or increases the potential market. Like govt subsidies, perks for importers, kickbacks for owners.

Personally, I think we'll likely end up with a chassis that we own, and a powerplant/battery combo that we lease, or a similar model so they can keep swiping at us for upgrades.

The gamechanger will be when the govt puts in the subsidies that encourage adoption. Then the importers will have a market to exploit.

In the meantime, I reckon keep riding what you've got..
ErmmXR400
'Oh God knows EC250
And about a hundred road bikes, mostly Yamahas for some reason.

General Manager Close Motorcycles - Honda, Suzuki, GasGas and Kymco in Sydney
Old 21-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

It's electric motors as far as the future can see as far as I'm concerned. What generates the current to drive them is the unknown. IC engines with any type of fuel - will go the way of the dodo. Forget the issues of today with household electricity demands/grids/whatever - that's a today problem that won't stop progress. If you build it, they will come. This thread is way off topic.
Old 21-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Surely there is more TPI owners on here, post up please there are so many on here that want to know more about the new generation beast
Old 22-02-2018
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
Surely there is more TPI owners on here, post up please there are so many on here that want to know more about the new generation beast
Did you buy one ? you had your 4t for sale ??
Old 22-02-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
Did you buy one ? you had your 4t for sale ??

No, i was going to buy one but not till Iím convinced I wonít have to carry fuel with me, I settled for a 350