dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Ride Reports & Local Issues > Queensland Ride Reports & Local Issues

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Gates at Beerburrum

Our helpful and well meaning National Parks Department has been busily installing at least 15 new gates at Beerburrum.
For anyone who parks at Matthew Flinders Park on Steve Irwin Way and uses Caves Rd to get to Old Gympie Rd and beyond it has now become a bit more difficult.
The attached map shows the location of of the ones that I saw, there may be others. They are all solid galvanised gates with bars and barriers intended to stop getting around them.
I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve here but they've spent a lot of good taxpayers money doing it.
They seem to be confined to this area (so far)
For the contractors doing the work it would be a nice little earner, plus the ongoing maintenance when they get broken open by 4WD's.
Most of the gates are located in forestry areas and a lot of it has recently been logged. It appears that they are trying to keep vehicles out of the small national park section.
I guess when they have an unlimited supply of taxpayers money to blow they can do things like this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gates.jpg (45.5 KB, 48 views)

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Last edited by DV8; 6 Days Ago at 12:48 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

That's odd, and disappointing that taxpayers money is being wasted trying to keep the public out of public areas like this.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

I was told by one of the contractors that NPWS had complaints about 4WD's scaring cyclists.
Walnuts and sledgehammers come to mind.
We don't ride in that area much but we ride through it to get further west. Now the options are to go further on bitumen to go around it or carry on as we have been for years but now illegally.

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical minority and promoted by mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Are they the same as the ones in Mt. Mee? Ranger told me they make them all in-house.
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Are they the same as the ones in Mt. Mee? Ranger told me they make them all in-house.
They look very similar, all galvanised constuction but maybe not identical. They don't have the big box arrangement over the padlock, just a chain welded each end to the post and a single padlock. At Mt Mee the barriers are 2" Gal pipe.
Some of these are Guardrail and some are pipe. The hinges are very solid with a middle one facing downwards so they can't be lifted off.
They were installed by these guys
http://www.fbfencing.com.au/.
I was talking to some of them last week. Maybe the Government now outsources gates to someones relatives.

There were some installed further north at Beerburrum a few months ago. The gates and posts were solid enough but the chain was welded to a saddle which was then attached to the gate with 2x 4mm pop rivets which didn't last a weekend. Also the guard rail was welded to posts which were in sand and they got pulled out within a week. Definitely not the same standard and more like I'd expect from our clever Government.

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Hero

Any cameras visible?
Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
Any cameras visible?
None optically visible. I haven't done a comprehensive IR check so can't be certain.

Old 1 Week Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8 View Post
Our helpful and well meaning National Parks Department has been busily installing at least 15 new gates at Beerburrum.
For anyone who parks at Matthew Flinders Park on Steve Irwin Way and uses Caves Rd to get to Old Gympie Rd and beyond it has now become a bit more difficult.
The attached map shows the location of of the ones that I saw, there may be others.
They are spending millions of dollars on relocating the Mt Tibro carpark, new walking tracks and signage.

Given that most of the gates are around this area, I'd say they are trying to keep noisy motorised vehicles away from the nature loving tourists.

I think this is a sign of what is to come....