dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Rider Organisations > Charity &/or Fundraiser Rides!!

Charity &/or Fundraiser Rides!! Rides that benefit more people than just the riders!!!!!

Old 07-10-2013
dbw Factory Pro

At this point I was prepared to let him take his boots and/or helmet off and wear his sneakers, given that he?d shown a lot of gusto and taken on this challenge with good character. I was promptly told that we?re ?not at the real summit yet Dad, so I'll stay in the gear".

Some nice ST (if only!)

Shortly after this we came across a fit looking, older dude who was running up and down the walking track. Old mate has commented on Jez's gear (being slightly out of place and a long way from a MX track), and we've stuck up a conversation... Turns out that he was once in the motocross scene bigtime, organised the Victorian GP back in the McFarlane, Reed, Metty days and has been involved in choosing some of the Aussie teams for the MXoN

Approaching the summit

Proud to have made it. Resting... Wind in the hair

This is a lovely little spot, and quite often you can sit and watch eagles flying around or just soak in the scenery. With the hardest part of the walk behind us now, we break out the chocolate and snakes which is a great incentive for the kids and we?ve been known to use it as leverage on many occasions to get them to the top! Met a young couple, had a good chat about the cause again, and some good positive enforcement for Jez

On the way down. We're in sneakers now as my parenting has kicked in and I'm thinking "safety", and the multitude of steps we'll have on the way down. Not content to slack, he's carrying them down.

An artistic shot by Jez

This whole fundraising thing was initiated by Jeremys experience at last years Ride4Kids event, and he was always keen to see what he could accomplish, and how much he could raise for the kids. Its been a huge learning experience for my son, and there have been a lot of proud-Dad moments along the way. Being a motorbike event was a great hook for a young kid, but he's now also learnt a lot about other kids that aren't as lucky as he is. He's had some great feedback from people along the way, and also some negatives (some people aren't into donating, and that's fine), but its all been character building in one way or another.

Only 2 weeks until the ride day now, and we?re both massively looking forward to it. Make it down to Wonthaggi on the 20th if you're free.

Thanks for reading this post.

'09 Gas Gas ec300
'00 RMX250
'82...90 RM,YZ and KX'rs (& a trusty IT175!)...
'78 Honda SL70 (still my best bike!)