dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Suspension

Suspension Proudly Supported by: www.shocktreatment.com.au

Old 04-09-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Keen to read your report Dave
Old 14-09-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Has anyone stepped off a 2017 model and onto a 19 model to provide a direct comparison of the forks yet?
Old 21-09-2018
dbw Pro Legend

2019 WP XPlor forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwb79 View Post
Has anyone stepped off a 2017 model and onto a 19 model to provide a direct comparison of the forks yet?

Iv only done 15hours on my 19 so far Dave , but I can tell you they donít dive and they sit up in the Stroke compared to my 17 & 18s did .

Also thank you for helping me find the right shock spring, job well done
Your definitely right , you canít go buy the weight charts .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 25-09-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy501 View Post
Iv only done 15hours on my 19 so far Dave , but I can tell you they donít dive and they sit up in the Stroke compared to my 17 & 18s did .
Right. So I dyno'ed some 2019 Xplor forks a week or two back. With the comp clicker on 15, they are softer than the 17 & 18 forks. But the good news is the comp adjuster actually works this year, so with the comp adjuster set on 10, the forks are the same as the previous years and with the clicker set on 5, they are firmer than previous years.

The attached graph shows the comp clicker at 15 in red and 0 in black.

Because this adjustment is being made at the MV, the change in damping is seen much higher on the velocity scale. So while the clicker works, it isnt changing the damping curve immediately, like a normal adjuster does on the BV.

We're about to start tuning a pair of 19 model forks and will be fitting a compression clicker into the bottom of the fork. The new clicker will provide changes immediately in the curve while the original clicker will be making changes at higher velocities. So essentially there will be a low speed and a high speed compression adjusters. I'm quite excited about the tuning possiblities with this combo for making changes out on the trail.

Quote:
Also thank you for helping me find the right shock spring, job well done
Your definitely right , you canít go buy the weight charts .
No probs. Glad it worked out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19 Xplor.jpg (83.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 25-09-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Right. So I dyno'ed some 2019 Xplor forks a week or two back. With the comp clicker on 15, they are softer than the 17 & 18 forks. But the good news is the comp adjuster actually works this year, so with the comp adjuster set on 10, the forks are the same as the previous years and with the clicker set on 5, they are firmer than previous years.

The attached graph shows the comp clicker at 15 in red and 0 in black.

Because this adjustment is being made at the MV, the change in damping is seen much higher on the velocity scale. So while the clicker works, it isnt changing the damping curve immediately, like a normal adjuster does on the BV.

We're about to start tuning a pair of 19 model forks and will be fitting a compression clicker into the bottom of the fork. The new clicker will provide changes immediately in the curve while the original clicker will be making changes at higher velocities. So essentially there will be a low speed and a high speed compression adjusters. I'm quite excited about the tuning possiblities with this combo for making changes out on the trail.

No probs. Glad it worked out
Dave, what do you think is WP's rationale for this design?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Legend

Bump
Old 3 Weeks Ago
"The Crack Of DOOM"

I'm gonna go ahead and presume it was either an oversight (after all, there is actually a clicker adjuster there, so WP/KTM are not wrong that the adjuster exists) or the cost of changing the design and then manufacturing the thousands of the new components (whilst at the same time scrapping the components already manufactured and paid for) proved too much for the accountants to approve.

Besides, not WP/KTM have given themselves a guaranteed design improvement for the Xplore2 forks, right?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
...Your definitely right , you canít go buy the weight charts...
Only bloke on DBW who can spell 'definitely'...and gets caught up with 'by'.

Quote:
...We're about to start tuning a pair of 19 model forks and will be fitting a compression clicker into the bottom of the fork. The new clicker will provide changes immediately in the curve while the original clicker will be making changes at higher velocities. So essentially there will be a low speed and a high speed compression adjusters. I'm quite excited about the tuning possiblities with this combo for making changes out on the trail...
This is awesome Dave. So sorely needed! Many years ago RaceTech had a device called a 'Delta Valve' which created HS and LS adjustment within the BV.

They were excellent for lighter riders wanting to take the sting out of the MV, not so good for stiffening up.

I can see WPs design philosophy, it's MV weirdness/deflection that freaks out riders way more than excessive dive and other BV/LS traits.

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 3 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro Addict

My 18 bits are with Dave now, I'm quite excited about testing the high speed/low speed set-up out. I've only done one ride on the bike but I didn't mind the front forks, they were a lot better than I was expecting (though I did have my sag way off by accident - don't ask).

I think KTM get away with this sort of stuff because most people accept they will need to sort their suspension out from new anyway.