dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 30-11-2014
dbw Pro

Do I have a dodgy Starter relay? 10' TE510

Hi Guys.

Issue with my 2010 TE510. In short, Getting no voltage to kick or e-start?

Im at my end of elec know how here. I have full power to my dashboard. Fuel pump primes.. head light operates. (wired to run full time)

I've checked the Batt. Alls good at 12.3v.. 12.4v .
Checked and dismantled the e-start switch. Wiring is good, solder is firm, and contacts are clean with a little, what looks like Vaseline coating.

I have no spark plug juice. (pulled and did a kick over test).. No dice?

I have Voltage from my main power cable going into my Starter relay (Electric start remote control switch) but have nothing leading out that feeds my starter motor? e-start engaged or not.. No dice here either.

I have Voltage leading 'FROM' my starter relay (pink wire x2.. Husky Manual says its Red) leading to my fuse's, Found on right side of bike. All three have voltage leading in and out.

I have Volts leading into my Power relay (Under fuel tank) This feeds my coil.
Volts stop here.

My Biggest question is: I have done the Starter relay Test.. And all I get is, within the 5 sec time frame (so not to burn it out) A spike of Voltage that rapidly drops off to zero Volts??
The same scenario is found with me doing a ohm test. I get a reading of 8.6ohm then rapidly drops off to nill.

Can I correctly assume, the Relay is faulty?

My problem has really started with no warning other then I lost e-start first after a wash. But I could kick it over no problem. After one ride, the bike stalled. And that was it.... Pushed her out of the scrub of hell to where I'm at today.

Sounds familiar to anyone else's KTMs (use the same relay's) Husky's?

Dan
Old 30-11-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Location: The Shire Of The West... That should add $100k to the price of my house!!
Sounds exactly the same as a problem buddy of mine had on his 450 Husky. Could hear the pump priming but wouldn't fire at all. Turned out to be the relay as you suspect.

We got caught in the middle of Menai at the time though which was not fun dragging the bike out of.
Old 30-11-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Location: The Shire Of The West... That should add $100k to the price of my house!!
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/s...d.php?t=102976
Old 30-11-2014
dbw Pro

Hey man thanks for the reply.
Thought the traffic here would offer some glimmer of hope. Cafe Husk isn't working for me. Bar one dude.. But not a lot of information is being identified. He's trying and all, But yeah.

Hmm, I'm thinking I'll have to look for a relay.
But Geez, if any ones got a link to where I can grab one for $15 or so... Hell, I'll grab two, and keep one as as spare with a spark plug lol.

I've seen one local (geelong) asking $100.

So kind of want to diagnose the problem right the first time if I can lol.

Dan
Old 30-11-2014
Banned

Make sure you haven't nipped a wire at the headstock on lhs, they're commo to have this....peel back wrapping and check, if it's not obvious anyway.
Old 30-11-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Also what info is written on the relay. I suspect if you buy it from a bike shop it costs $100 build you buy it from an auto electrical place and know what you need it would cost way less.
Old 01-12-2014
dbw Factory Pro

being a husky owner myself.. with a couple dud relays in the past ..

I test the old fashoined way with the pliers or spanner and arc out the 2 poles see if starter motor turns.. eliminate the relay switch for a second.

ive used universal ones changed plugs... 35 bucks ish..

1998 Husqvarna TE 610
2016 Suzuki DR 650
Old 02-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

12.4V on the battery means it's time for a charge, full is 12.6.
Old 11-02-2015
dbw Pro

Revisited. Time to get back into this beast.

Apologize for the late reply. email notification missed a few replies.

So, I sourced a used KTM relay. Fuse's are to small, but the relay is the same.
So Swapped it over. Thought, all systems would be go. Almost.. And Its a bloody tricky set up which has me scratching my head. I'm back to where I was before I noticed I had an issue at the start.

So I have spark from kicking over. Still no E-start. I suspected the ACC/e-start/kill switch. So unsoldered one from my Husaberg and resoldered it to the husky loom. No joy. From here I unraveled about a kilometer of black electrical tape searching for split/ cut or crushed wiring.. Nothing!

Out with a Multi meter to test every terminal i can think of. I find. That my Starter/Kill switch actually has positive current on both Terminal ends of the e-start. One reads 12.something volts. The other. Which would be a Neg post reads 9v positive....

Tracing the source. I notice a large Diode has been spliced between the Kill switch feed wire (Grey) and the Starter switch wire (Green) - Becomes brown/black after switch plug.
Both the green and Grey run the the starter Relay.

This Diode isn't in the factory wiring schematics that I can find. So I have no idea what or why its added?

This diode is spliced into each wire. Kind of cross linking the two. Why, I have no idea.
Is this factory? or some after sales job?
Can anyone tell me what it is, and what numbers or name I need to replace it? As the wiring diagram has no listing it exists.

[IMG][/IMG]

Idea's?
Anyone seen these before? i'm lost. And for what I can tell, my problem seems to stem from this little B@***d.

Dan
Old 11-02-2015
Banned

Do I have a dodgy Starter relay? 10' TE510

Dunno if you've checked but the wiring coming through forks at side of head stock is where mine was pinched....peel it back and see if it's been nipped.

I already mentioned it bit you didn't say what you have or haven't done to eliminate wiring drama from switch.