dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 14-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

KTM 530 Problem

I have just done a top and bottom rebuild on a 530EXC for a friend and after assembling it and attempting to start it I have a problem.
Basically it fires for a few revolutions and then dies. Both e-start and kicker, it just fires and dies, won't run for more than a second.

I've triple checked my work, valve timing is correct, carb has been pulled a few times for cleaning, a few different size pilot jets, choke in and out, all the mechanical stuff checks out.

So must be electrical right? Here's where it gets tricky.......
Apparently the previous owner was a sparky, the birds nest of wiring throughout the whole bike indicates that maybe, he wasn't a very good one.
Now my mate had test ridden the bike, then after purchase he has ridden it twice, and his main complaint was the amount of smoke bellowing out the exhaust, and oil dripping from the breather, hence the rebuild.
His other complaint was that the headlight was not working, and all the signal gear has been stripped from the bike. He'd had the headlight off for a fiddle before he brought the bike to my house.

When I get the bike it wont start, there's no spark. Among the mess of wires behind the headlight and under the tank I find that there's two female bullet connectors not connected, they both trace back to a white/blue wire that originally went from the cdi to the coil input, it has been cut and joined to include these two wires with the female connectors. I crimp one so it will fit inside the other and hey presto, we have spark. I assume that the P.O. has had a key switch or dummy switch hidden behind the headlight and has removed it before sale, but that doesn't explain why my mate could start it.

He says he hasn't disconnected these wires or anything else and I believe him as the two female connectors would not plug into each other without the crimping that I performed. I also find two other random wires with bad soldering that I've since worked out are for the map switch.
The spark plug was fully gummed up with oil but I cleaned it up and it throws a spark, we were unable to get another plug in town yesterday but I got a new one from another mate for an older RFS moter, it's a bit shorter than the proper plug but it still fired and died the same as the original plug, so I'm ruling out the plug. I also tried another plug cap and it has the specified resistance but no change, the engine fires and dies.

So last night I'm cranking the engine with the plug out and grounded to the motor and I notice the plug seems to fire weakly about 6 to a dozen times per cycle, instead of just one fat spark per cycle.
I've seen this before, on a thumpster that was being ridden in the rain. Water got inside the poorly sealed cdi and it died. It too would also fire up and die, fire up and die. I noticed it was also sparking multiple times per cycle.
I pulled the cdi and water came out of it, I sprayed inside it with WD40 and shook it out, and left it to dry in the sun for a few days. Plugged it back in and away it went. Then i sealed it up with goop to stop it from happening again.
Now before I rebuild any engine I like to clean it up first, which i did with this 530, seat and tank off, covered the filter and gave it a scrub down with some soapy and a brush, and then a hose off. I don't pressure wash bikes anymore, too many problems from this in the past. It's been two weeks in my workshop but it's possible there could be some water in there somewhere.
I've just checked the resistance of the pulse coil and it's within spec at 100ohms, haven't checked the stator yet, but I'm really running out of ideas as to why it wont run.

Anyone got any ideas??
Old 14-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

The bush mechanic (no offence bushie ) in me says "tow it".

If she dont go then, you know you got issues

Heaps of riding +
to Finke & back 2013....
to Finke & back 2014
should I change the piston @ 140 hrs prior
to Finke & back 2015 ??
04 300 EXC- 38,100 kms/812 hours of mallee single track fun.Bargain-
"just like Grandpa's axe..."

No fuel pump.No fuel filter. No injector. No fuel mapping.No oil filter.No shims or adjuster screws. Just ride it
Old 14-12-2014
dbw Pro Addict. FNT Legend.

rag in the airbox (been there done that)
Old 14-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

No rag, checked.
Tow it, maybe.
Old 14-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Well the ignition system and wiring has been tested and sorted and I'm getting a consistent spark for each revolution. I haven't tried starting it again yet
as there's wiring hanging out of it everywhere.
If it doesn't run I'll be reaching for the aerostart, then pulling the carby again.
Old 16-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Carby cleaned again and pilot jets from 38 to 50 tried. Fresh fuel and valves triple quadruple checked. Still it just runs for a second and dies. Getting a new spark plug tomorrow. Starting to think weird stuff going
on like: oil too thick 15/50
Snake got in the tail pipe while it was off.
Panther piss instead of fuel in the tank.
Weird electrical black hole under my house sucking the sparks out of the combustion process, and
Lit match in the fuel tank!

On the verge of giving up.... never been defeated like this before. Banking on it being the spark plug
Old 16-12-2014
Banned

stator coil may be on its way out.
also try cleaning up all the earth points.
Old 16-12-2014
dbw Pro Addict

tank venting?
good fuel flow from petcock?
Old 16-12-2014
dbw Pro Champion

Tanks not on it, using a remote fuel source. Can visually see the fuel bowl fill up and then stop when it's full.
I've checked the earthing at the coil but I'll do it again.
Old 17-12-2014
dbw Pro Legend

I recently had spark issues with my 300.
turns out the ign red/blk was touching intermittently to a lighting coil varnished wire and earthing.Intermittent spark
(like when the engine/vibes got enough revs on or something).Disconnecting rec/reg got full spark all the time

Check for intermittent ohms between lighting (yellow) and ign(red/blk), while you jiggle all loose related wiring or even in the stator

disconnected the ye/blk kill wires behind headlight? sometimes the start switch/kill combo gets dodgy.
you prob already know this
2K-3
Pulser coil____________red & green_______________100ohms +/- 15%
Exciter________________black/red & red/white______12.7ohms +/- 15%
Charge coil(lighting)__yellow to ground____________0.65ohms +/- 15%
_______________________white to yellow_____________0.16ohms +/- 15%

Coil:
Primary: white/blue - ground: .425 - .575 ohm
Secondary: white/blue - ign wire: 10.8 - 16.2 kilohm

my 09 300 coil measured about 6K, also an 08 530 i tested

plugs wet when removed?
09 KTM300EXC-E
89 KTM125EXC

Last edited by Rebuild; 17-12-2014 at 12:33 PM.