dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 12-01-2015
DBW Dweller

Received the secondhand CDI unit, as mentioned it came from a YZF 250-2008, my bike is a 2007 YZ. They look identical, same number of pins etc. But still no spark... disconnected the kill switch, nada.

Have been short on time lately, no other tests done so far. The suggestion to take the bike to a shop is good but unfortunately I live on a small island a long way from anywhere ) and would have to load the bike on a ship and send to a dealer/garage ($$ ). Although I will need to order a flywheel puller to check the stator??
But before I do that I will do as suggested and go thru the wiring harness. It is a 2007 with very low hours, light riding, but, who knows. Also I have been taking the bike to the mainland and using it on the beach, sand dunes etc. lots of salt air, my 3 yr old STHIL chainsaw lost her spark this fall also... And I noticed that my construction tools are rusting very quickly ( building a cabin there). Just to say that cleaning contacts, connection plugs might be a good idea also.
Will post whatever I find, thanks again.
Old 13-01-2015
dbw Pro Champion

Use Vaseline on the connections to prevent corrosion.
Old 13-01-2015
dbw Pro Addict

Stator testing can be done with a multi meter without pulling the flywheel

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post.
It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

2018 KTM & Husky 250/300 JD Jetting Kits now in stock!
Old 15-01-2015
DBW Dweller

Unsure how to do that, would it be 12v AC or DC, unfortunately no such info in the manual. I have 5 wires coming out from the stator.
W/R
GR
G/W
B
W/L

Would I test from one wire to ground, to the black? The manual talks about pickup coils, source coil 1&2, but one of the posts I was reading talked about pulses coils, exciter. Different names for the same coils?

I took some pics of the flywheel/ wires, but Don,t see a way to post them, everything looks new and clean inside the housing.

Appreciate your patience, I have the tires all studded out for winter and still stuck in the shop
Old 16-01-2015
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABRADOR Coaster View Post
Unsure how to do that, would it be 12v AC or DC, unfortunately no such info in the manual. I have 5 wires coming out from the stator.
W/R
GR
G/W
B
W/L

Would I test from one wire to ground, to the black? The manual talks about pickup coils, source coil 1&2, but one of the posts I was reading talked about pulses coils, exciter. Different names for the same coils?

I took some pics of the flywheel/ wires, but Don,t see a way to post them, everything looks new and clean inside the housing.

Appreciate your patience, I have the tires all studded out for winter and still stuck in the shop
To post pics when you dont have priviliges, either go to DBW shop n buy sommink = get higher status n can add pics or use a third party site like photobucket

"PALS"
Old 18-01-2015
dbw Pro Champion

also unscrew the plug cap and check the spark from the lead. if its a weak spark the resistor in the plug cap can show up as low.
Old 19-01-2015
DBW Dweller

Thumbs down

I checked for voltage from the stator yesterday, one of the source coils gave me voltage up to 40v AC, another was only 2 v. really don't know what I'm doing with all that. Also not understanding why the voltage would be AC on a bike????Also redid some resistance test on primary coil, readings looked like they were in the zone, removed the plug cap and tested Resistance was 4.6k ohms, spec was 4-6, so good.

But another issue I'm having is that my tester , a good quality FLUKE 77 has a push button to move thru the ranges but it doesn't show what range it,s on.

For example in the shop manual the various resistance tests are done using the tester set at; ohms X1, ohms x 10, 100 etc. but my FLUKE is not set up like that, it has ; ( we'll use @ as the ohms sign )
0.1@
0.001k@
0.01k@
0.1k@
0.001m@
0.01m@

Sorry I know how confusing I must be making all this but To give an example,
The manual says to test the Primary coil resistance with the tester set at ohms x 1 with the spec being between 0.20-0.30 ohms The test gives 00.3 ohms with the tester set at (I believe..) 0.1@...
At this point I am debating either order another wiring harness with coils and the works, stator etc. Or ship it out to the nearest dealer on the freighter transport cost plus garage labour will be 3-500$ in addition to replacement parts. plus will not see my bike for at least a month...
Old 19-01-2015
dbw Factory Pro

I can't tell you how to set the ohms range but it should have an auto range setting. That should tell you on the right hand side if it's ohms, k ohms or m ohms.

You are reading ac. It doesn't become dc untill it is rectified inside the regulator / rectifier.

40v ac is not uncommon but I don't know what the yz should put out.
Old 19-01-2015
DBW Dweller

Gotcha, after more investigating I see that there are two ranges/resolutions for each of the k m and ohms settings. With the tester on auto I am getting 00.3 ohms from the primary coil resistance test. Specs in the manual are 0.20-0.30

Would I be reading this correctly and that the coil is out of spec by .17-.27 ohms?
Old 19-01-2015
dbw Factory Pro

No if the multimeter puts the 3 directly after the decimal point then it has to mean 0.3 irrespective of where the other zero's are.
So that reading looks ok.

Have you cleaned your earth connections yet? Given what you said about corrosion I would check any wires bolted to the frame. Could even be the engine mounts not connecting well.
Engine to frame = 0 ohms?