dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Expert

Starter motor runs on

My bike has been sitting for 18 months and have recently been giving it some love to get it back up and running.

Have pulled the starter motor down and replaced brushes and also have replace the starter solinode as both had issues.

With no fuel in the carb i hit the button and she turned over, but even when i took my finger off the button it kept turning over. Even after i turned my key to OFF*it kept turning over until the battery went flat, with me running round trying to find a way to disconnect it.

So now the battery is on the charger but i need to know what has happened to make it run on. What do you think?
Old 1 Week Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankN View Post
My bike has been sitting for 18 months and have recently been giving it some love to get it back up and running.

Have pulled the starter motor down and replaced brushes and also have replace the starter solinode as both had issues.

With no fuel in the carb i hit the button and she turned over, but even when i took my finger off the button it kept turning over. Even after i turned my key to OFF*it kept turning over until the battery went flat, with me running round trying to find a way to disconnect it.

So now the battery is on the charger but i need to know what has happened to make it run on. What do you think?
I think the new solenoid is faulty and residual magnetism in the armatures' iron circuit is holding the contacts on. What do you think?

Current dirtbikes: 2018 450SX, 2018 YZ250-FX
Current road bike: 2011 FLHRC-Police spec
Old 1 Week Ago
DBW Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty View Post
I think the new solenoid is faulty and residual magnetism in the armatures' iron circuit is holding the contacts on. What do you think?
Have had a reply elsewhere and that person had the same issue with an aftermarket solenoid, which mine is. Sound like that's the problem

For some reason when the solenoid is triggered it won't 'untrigger'.

Last edited by CrankN; 1 Week Ago at 03:15 PM.
Old 5 Days Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankN View Post
Have had a reply elsewhere and that person had the same issue with an aftermarket solenoid, which mine is. Sound like that's the problem

For some reason when the solenoid is triggered it won't 'untrigger'.
Quote:
Reason already outlined Crank, Chinese metallurgy made from re-cycled sardine cans, who'd have thought.

Old 5 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

The ones I have pulled apart that have done this were almost spot welded together, it wasn’t a residual magnetism thing. Probably metals that are too similar. (Read cheap) Chinese cutting corners now too!?? 😂

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.
Old 5 Days Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser nate View Post
The ones I have pulled apart that have done this were almost spot welded together, it wasn’t a residual magnetism thing. Probably metals that are too similar. (Read cheap) Chinese cutting corners now too!?? 😂
That happens because the residual magnetism holds the contacts lightly closed Nate, arcing starts due to the slight gap, contacts weld together.

With low hysteresis, low reluctance, low retentivity steels, the switching action is almost instantaneous and therefore arcing doesn't happen. I've fixed dozens of electro-magnetic faults over the last five years in various equipment, ALL of it Chinese.

We're talking 7-8V and 50-60Amps inrush, the issue isn't the contact material...

Old 5 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
That happens because the residual magnetism holds the contacts lightly closed Nate, arcing starts due to the slight gap, contacts weld together.

With low hysteresis, low reluctance, low retentivity steels, the switching action is almost instantaneous and therefore arcing doesn't happen. I've fixed dozens of electro-magnetic faults over the last five years in various equipment, ALL of it Chinese.

We're talking 7-8V and 50-60Amps inrush, the issue isn't the contact material...
Yeah ok, makes sense. Still not keen on the qwarity of their metals either though! How do you get rid of residual magnetism?

If you could reason with religious people there would be no religious people.. House.
Old 4 Days Ago
dbw Factory Pro

Degaussing?
Old 4 Days Ago
The "One" and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser nate View Post
How do you get rid of residual magnetism?
Short answer... As a one-off you can give the iron circuit a sharp mechanical shock. This works with screwdrivers that have self-magnetised. Hardly a go with rotating machines...

Degaussing (demagnetising by applying an opposing field) just reverses the polarity of the residual flux. Still there, all norths are now souths.

Residual magnetism (retentivity) is due to the nature of the dendritic structure of the steel. SFA you can do about shitty steel. Low retentivity steels are full of silicon which is tricky to get right, hence why the Chinga stuff is pretty ordinary.