dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Proudly Sponsored by Mainjet Motorcycles

Old 23-05-2018
dbw Pro

17 Ktm 300 exc 36mm Keihin

I've got hold of a 36mm Keihin Ag to try, on my 17 model ktm300, Its from a 16 250sx, I think the Keihin has a 6.5 slide off memory, has any one got a starting point for jetting it.

I'm at around 850m of elevation, temps are around the 10 to 25 degrees at the moment.
The bikes had head work from TSP as well.

TIA.
Old 23-05-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Husky 300 17
36mm PWK

Needle NECJ 2
Slide 7
MJ 162
PJ 42
A/S can't remember 1.5 I think

Working well 100 plus per tank. Doesn't run on or overheat.
Old 26-05-2018
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh26 View Post
I've got hold of a 36mm Keihin Ag to try, on my 17 model ktm300, Its from a 16 250sx, I think the Keihin has a 6.5 slide off memory, has any one got a starting point for jetting it.

I'm at around 850m of elevation, temps are around the 10 to 25 degrees at the moment.
The bikes had head work from TSP as well.

TIA.
I've got a '17 250 EXC and running the 36mm keihin as well. Also running TSP head and ignition mod. Stock chamber and pipe. I've got a 7 slide so you may need a different pilot at the very least. I'm in Sydney, riding 300m to 100m and 15 to 30 degrees. I've ended up with 38p, JD red (double scribe) clip #3 and 170 main. For me it's perfect, rips off the bottom and then smooth into the mid and top and just keeps pulling. The JD red double scribe is a 200 needle but JD is now shipping it with their keihin carbs for the new gen KTM's.

I also tried JD red triple scribe Clip #3 and 4, good off the bottom but lean in the mid and top. Was going to try with a larger main but hit the above combo next and stopped searching. I also tried NECW, NEDW, NEDG and NEDH. JD Red double has a staring diameter between G and F so I thought the NEDH/NEDG would have been best but the NEDW was definitely better. Seems on the Suzi needles the leaner starting diameters work better which is why you will see a lot of guys using NEDJ and NEDW. Hope this helps. From my research the JD needles generally need a larger main as well.
Old 26-05-2018
dbw Pro Hero

So does this mean the Mikuni is not able to be tuned properly for the '17/'18 Katos? I know there's been a lot of anecdotal tales about Mikuni being rubbish on the KTM but surely not everyone is buying a new carby? The '17 I have ridden with a Lectron was a seriously great bike to ride. It's made me go and grab an '18 250 EXC with a carby. Just wondering if I will have to factor in the price of a new carby too....
Old 26-05-2018
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete40 View Post
So does this mean the Mikuni is not able to be tuned properly for the '17/'18 Katos? I know there's been a lot of anecdotal tales about Mikuni being rubbish on the KTM but surely not everyone is buying a new carby? The '17 I have ridden with a Lectron was a seriously great bike to ride. It's made me go and grab an '18 250 EXC with a carby. Just wondering if I will have to factor in the price of a new carby too....
I get my mikuni going good. I moded the slide myself before tsp was doing it, so im not sure ive done the same way or not but it works well, tsp head mod helps a lot too.

But the problem was the variance in jetting it, id get it going good but I have a lot of elevation and humidity and temp changes all within a few hours of riding, so im hoping that tbe Keihin helps and some more bottom end wont hurt either.

Thanks, for the replys fellas I'll start with the necj, and see if I can get it working.
Old 26-05-2018
dbw Pro Legend

Quote:

Yes mate factor the cost of sending your head to TSP and buying a Lectron or Keihan Carby $1300+ , witch most off my riding mates have done, reason why I sold my 17 , I thought Iíd rather put that money towards a TPI.

In saying that you can pick up the Carbys for a good price, and if you donít mind tinkering ( witch Iím definitely not a Carby tinkerer) they are a great bike once setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26-05-2018
dbw Pro

Quote:
I also ran the TSP jetting specs for the Mikuni (he was not doing the slide mod at that time) and I really had no complaints. That was until I put the Keihin on (i had a spare one from another bike). It definitely is better and I wouldn't go back but I would not say the bike is as bad with the Mikuni as many forums will have you thinking. I would absolutely say TSP head mod is mandatory though and the slide mod is only about $80 so mush cheaper to see if you are satisfied rather than $400+ for a new Keihin. The head mod makes jetting easier and the jetting a little more stable as well, so you may find you are happy with the Mikuni. Everyone is different in what they like.
Old 27-05-2018
dbw Pro Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_Summers View Post
I also ran the TSP jetting specs for the Mikuni (he was not doing the slide mod at that time) and I really had no complaints. That was until I put the Keihin on (i had a spare one from another bike). It definitely is better and I wouldn't go back but I would not say the bike is as bad with the Mikuni as many forums will have you thinking. I would absolutely say TSP head mod is mandatory though and the slide mod is only about $80 so mush cheaper to see if you are satisfied rather than $400+ for a new Keihin. The head mod makes jetting easier and the jetting a little more stable as well, so you may find you are happy with the Mikuni. Everyone is different in what they like.
Thanks Brett.
Old 27-05-2018
dbw Pro Legend

My quotes
Head & slide mode $550
Keihan Carby $750
Lectron $850
That was about a year ago, prices might have come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27-05-2018
dbw Pro Hero

The Lectrons are $755 on Ballistics website now.