dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > The Workshop > Electrical Forum

Electrical Forum A forum for all the bright sparks!

Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

2016 250EXC Electrical/E-Start Issue

I know without the details or looking at it this is like asking how long is a piece of string but I've had the following electrical issues, lights flickering "brake and headlight) headlight only working on high-beam, intermittent starting with the e-start

The bike did sit for a while, the longest stint without a start was probably a few weeks but those starts weren't left running for any length of time. Probably a start every now and then ever 2/3 weeks over 3-4 months. Should i look at a new battery? Or does this sound like a wiring issue?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Factory Pro

1- head and tail light are not run off the battery. Have you checked the hl globe?

2- has the battery seen any charge over the last 6 months? I assume your kicking it when cold?
Hrs on bike?
Old 2 Weeks Ago
dbw Pro

Thanks mate

1. I will check the hl globe.

2. Around 30 hours on the bike, I am thinking the battery is not charging and slowly getting drained. I did put it on a charger a while back and didnt have an issue initially. But around 2 hours into a ride with lots of start/stop it wouldnt start using the button.

Sounds like I could have two issues. No riding this weekend so time to do some investigation.
Old 2 Weeks Ago
DBW Expert

Not sure about lights flickering. This sounds like easy fix with multimeter. Starter with 30 hrs can definitely develop issues. Usually simple fixes. Most starter issues especially on newer systems are in the switch. Obviously check Battery voltage and make sure its charging. Then head straight to starter switch.