dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: www.blingkingproducts.com.au

Old 28-06-2013
DBW Dweller

Any common problems with these bikes? (2001-2006 CRF250, YZF250, KXF250)

hi all,

im looking at getting back into dirt bike riding but the last time i was riding it was 2stroke only for motocross and i had a cr125. this time around im looking at getting a 250 4 stroke - either crf250, yzf250 or kxf250

the more i read the more i hear problems about the hondas. personally, i love honda, but i dont want a bike that is going to need more care than hours spent riding. some people say the valves need attention every 5/10/20hrs depending on how you ride, is that right?

im not looking for the best race out there, i want something i can ride and have fun on and have little to no problems with as long as i keep up on the maintenance. i dont want a honda if even after all proper maintenance it needs to be in the shop once a month

most of my riding will be on private property or tracks/trails but also some motocross (for fun, not racing)

of the models mentioned above, 250 4 stroke (CRF, YZF or KXF) im looking at something between 2001 and 2006 (to suit my budget)

are there any known prblems to be aware oof with any of these models? apparntly all years a concern for the honda valves but im not aware of anything else. i havent been able to find much info on the kawasakis and most people seem to all say the yamahas are very tough

cheers
Old 28-06-2013
dbw Factory Pro

the 04-05 KXF and RMZ were the same and both had a terrible head design and very under powered for a 250f. i would steer clear even though i'm a lover of kawasakis and suzukis.

the YZF is the bike to get for reliability
Old 28-06-2013
DBW Dweller

thanks adon. even with the 2001 model YZFs?

obvious risk of course with something that old if not maintained, but within reason can they still be good if looked after?
Old 28-06-2013
dbw Pro

04/05 KX250F has overheating problems and munch valves if they aren't adjusted regulary. boyesen/procircuit water pump and oversize radiators fixes the overheating problem & stainless valves make it more durable than having titanuim ones.
If you go for the kxf, go a newer year if you can (06 and above).

In saying that, i have had no issues with my 04 kx250f after i rebuilt it to fix the last owners mistakes/lack of maintenance (previous owner didnt know what maintenance actually was).....

i think most 250f's around that time had issues, but from what i have read & hear from others the yammi is probably the pick of the bunch.
Old 28-06-2013
The 'Gee' Man.

Honda's valve issues are really a thing of the past.
Even if you buy a bike that is on OEM valves it's a $300 fix if it needs it and you are done, put fuel in and ride the wheels off it.
I can't think of any other major issue that a crf r Honda may have, early ones were a bit slow on the steering but that was fixed by 06 and slowish steering isn't a major problem anyhow.
The 04 was bad for wearing out valves guides as well.
Change the oil like you should with any hi/po bike and you will have minimum dramas with the engine.
The chassis is as maintenance hungry as any other bike ie: not very much.
Old 28-06-2013
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
Even if you buy a bike that is on OEM valves it's a $300 fix if it needs it and you are done
so by upgrading to better parts for a few hundred it will then eliminate the usual honda valve problems? that sounds pretty good.
Old 28-06-2013
The 'Gee' Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET-33 View Post
so by upgrading to better parts for a few hundred it will then eliminate the usual honda valve problems? that sounds pretty good.

2 main ways of going about it:

Fit SS inlets [they are the only ones that wear] and get the seats recut to suit, costs you a little bit of top end performance, it matters in the 250 class but not for bush work.

Or

Fit Ti valves again but get BeCu seat inserts fitted, more expensive but fixes the problem and keeps your performance levels.
Old 28-06-2013
DBW Dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideo View Post
Even if you buy a bike that is on OEM valves it's a $300 fix if it needs it and you are done, put fuel in and ride the wheels off it.
The 04 was bad for wearing out valves guides as well.
I can't think of any other major issue that a crf r Honda may have, early ones were a bit slow on the steering but that was fixed by 06 and slowish steering isn't a major problem anyhow.

Change the oil like you should with any hi/po bike and you will have minimum dramas with the engine.
The chassis is as maintenance hungry as any other bike ie: not very much.
rideo, i cant reply to your PM. maybe because im only new to this forum?
Old 28-06-2013
The 'Gee' Man.

Oh yeah, the 04 250 had a soft clutch basket, they would have all been replaced by now so not an issue really unless you come across one that's done less than a 1000kms.
Old 28-06-2013
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET-33 View Post
thanks adon. even with the 2001 model YZFs?

obvious risk of course with something that old if not maintained, but within reason can they still be good if looked after?
Couldn't really say mate... My friend used to have an 01 YZ250F with hot cams and it used to flog my other mates 04 YZ250F. Pretty sure the older ones didn't have auto decompression though. Some one more knowledgable will be able to clarify.

The newer the better though as with everything