dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > Honda Forum

Honda Forum For the Red Riders

Old 01-04-2005
dbw Pro

KTM 450 EXC versus Honda CRF450X

The million dollar question... Red vs Orange

Which will be better?

The KTM 450 EXC has had great reviews and has become the top dog of the registerable 450's.

Can the 450X knock it off?

Will it be a case of Head Shake versus the dreaded Valves?

2005 : C R F 4 5 0 x

Old 01-04-2005
dbw Pro Legend

Mine doesn't headshake. Havn't ridden one that does *shrugs* I noticed headshake when I rode MichaelD's WR450...yet everyone else says they don't...maybe it comes down to riding style?
Old 02-04-2005
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

the KTM's only seem to suffer head shake when pushed hard ...

I think it's really only the new two strokes that still suffer that legacy to any major degree.

CRF V's KTM... to be honest from what i've read it doesnt sound like the CRF is in the same league. (I was rooting for it... literally!).

The CRF carries it's weight higher, has a higher seat height.. has a wet weight of at least 5kg more, and has stalling problems. And this is from articles that are trying to be positive about it. Even when they compare it to the XR400 the seem to struggle to come up with anything more positive than "she likes to strech her legs a bit more in the open".

I think Honda have turned a CRF weapon into a nice trailbike. But no KTM enduro bike beater.

Am looking forward to the shootouts though. But I know if that was a brand new KTM450 they were test riding for the first time you would have heard alot more nice things being said about weight, handling, nimbleness, power etc.

Thats my take on somethin i dont know anything about
Old 02-04-2005
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdisco
the KTM's only seem to suffer head shake when pushed hard ...

I think it's really only the new two strokes that still suffer that legacy to any major degree.

CRF V's KTM... to be honest from what i've read it doesnt sound like the CRF is in the same league. (I was rooting for it... literally!).

The CRF carries it's weight higher, has a higher seat height.. has a wet weight of at least 5kg more, and has stalling problems. And this is from articles that are trying to be positive about it. Even when they compare it to the XR400 the seem to struggle to come up with anything more positive than "she likes to strech her legs a bit more in the open".

I think Honda have turned a CRF weapon into a nice trailbike. But no KTM enduro bike beater.

Am looking forward to the shootouts though. But I know if that was a brand new KTM450 they were test riding for the first time you would have heard alot more nice things being said about weight, handling, nimbleness, power etc.

Thats my take on somethin i dont know anything about

Andrewdisco,

Thanks for the good advice. I tend to agree with you, and am now leaning towards the KTM450.

I guess its also a case of "the devil you know".

Thanks,
John.

Old 02-04-2005
dbw Pro

go honda

am a staunch honda fan :Wo and we will see how they go at the finke as honda has a very good record there. i have know doubt that honda will have sought there valve problems out. just like the xr will take time but will be a great bike. fingers crossed...... :A
p..s love the boob shake girlie :mm
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2005
dbw Pro Legend

ktm headshake

This is an interesting topic, i have a 04 525 and despite all the comments of "bad headshake" i never had a problem with it, it would sometimes give a little shake but nothing to be worried about, that is until i put a different profile front tyre on!!! then it used to shake its head on a flat bit of rd, well after playing around with the fork heights in the triple clamps i nearly had it solved and then i took it to Terry Hay, i explained what i did not like on the bike etc and he explained what was going on, i had the correct weight springs fitted and set the rear ride height properly and viola no trace of head shake no matter how hard you push it and it now handles like a dream*A
Regarding which bike? Who is going to give you the best deal? :y
Old 03-04-2005

You up for a new bike john ?

I was thinking about going to the CRF450 as well before i read the reviews... but i get a feeling I might be looking more the way of the KTM250EXCF... but have to wait and see what the reviews say.
Old 03-04-2005

KTM TALK QUOTE

"Hey Everyone,
I just got my latest issue of Dirt Rider with the 24 hour test. They pitted the Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husaberg, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, Sheraco and TM four stroke 450's against each other. All had good and bad points but the KTM 450 EXC really came out the big winner with all of the testers either choosing it one or two, with the exception of Jimmy Lewis who had it third. Some interesting statistics, the EXC weighs 255 without gas this compared to the Honda at 262 and the the Yamaha at 263. The entire span of bikes was within 10 lbs of each other with the berg being the lightest at 253. They also had some acceleration figures 5-24 mph and 0 to 50. The KTM slower in the first but fastest in the latter of the two tests. It also won on came in second with a top speed with a whopping 93.7 mph. - All in all an intersting article check it out. "
Old 03-04-2005
dbw Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdisco
KTM TALK QUOTE

"Hey Everyone,
I just got my latest issue of Dirt Rider with the 24 hour test. They pitted the Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Husaberg, Gas Gas, Husqvarna, Sheraco and TM four stroke 450's against each other. All had good and bad points but the KTM 450 EXC really came out the big winner with all of the testers either choosing it one or two, with the exception of Jimmy Lewis who had it third. Some interesting statistics, the EXC weighs 255 without gas this compared to the Honda at 262 and the the Yamaha at 263. The entire span of bikes was within 10 lbs of each other with the berg being the lightest at 253. They also had some acceleration figures 5-24 mph and 0 to 50. The KTM slower in the first but fastest in the latter of the two tests. It also won on came in second with a top speed with a whopping 93.7 mph. - All in all an intersting article check it out. "
Don't you hate it when you are set to get a new bike and have spent the last year sucking up and getting the wife interested in the idea, then start researching the market and end up confused and ready to buy a different bike each time you read an article.

Basically just about all of the 2005 450's are great, all would do the job and be a heaps better ride that the current bike.

I saw the article andrewdisco mentioned - the KTM sure gets a great report.

With regards to the KTM 250 EXC (4 stroke) - that was the bike that started it all. I was ready to purchase, then heard all the stories of it being underpowered and best to wait for the 2006 model. I then moved onto the 450 EXC as it was the same height, not much heavier and heaps more power. But got distracted with all the CRF450X hype... (plus I like the red).

John.

Old 03-04-2005
dbw Pro

Talking Ktm 450 Exc Versus Honda 450 X

Hi, Guys If The 450x Goes As Good As The 250x I Would Buy The Honda.we Have Had No Problems With Valves While Racing The 250x In Enduros In Qld. Well I Can Not Wait To Test Ride The 450x. :lll