dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by: http://www.devildesign.com.au

Old 22-03-2014
dbw Pro

Electric dirt bikes, what do you want?

As the title asks, what is everyone looking for in a electric dirt bike. I am currently looking at building some dirt bikes up for sale. I have been seeing a bunch of talk about Zero selling in Aus for the last few years but i have given up and decided i have the ability to build electric motorbike conversions to give them a run for their money it might be time for me to have a sea change and do something i am passionate about. Building electric vehicles.

The aim is to start out with CFR250 bikes, strip the engine and fit a electric system designed to compete with the latest Zero motorbikes. The choice behind the CFR250 bike is as far as i know(not a dirtbike rider) its a full sized frame, reasonable level of standard equipment, fairly light and readably avaliable. Also with the bike been a twin spar frame it will make mounting the battery pack easier and allow plenty of room for extended range packs.

The electronic system will have 30kw peak power, 3kwh battery pack which should be good for about 2hrs at 50km/h avg speed assuming your not climbing up a mountain all the way. At race speeds the bike should last ~30min+. The total weight of the bike and electronics should be 100kg with the battery pack weighting 25kg of that. 1 or 2 extra packs can be fitted with the obvious weight penalty.

The questions i have that may be all about personal preferance is:
Any other recomendations for a donor bike?
Rear brake, foot control or replace the clutch lever thats not used? Scooter brake type setup, much more control and dont have to worry where your foot is.
Charger on the bike? Adds weight and easy damaged hardware, 25kg pack is pretty easy to pull off the bike and charge in the garage, more secure too.
Charge time? Atm each pack would take 1.5hrs to charge. Fyi most house hold power outlets wont be able to provide much more then that.
Belt or chain drive?
Any one had a look at electric dirtbikes and thought if they just had X? Whats the X
Whats the price you would pay for a converted dirtbike or what would you pay to have your bike converted? I can do all the electronics easily but building from the frame up its abit far out there.

I have just built a street legal registered electric motorbike with 32kw peak power and 8.5kwh of batteries on it so building these dirt bikes should be alot easier with all the things i learnt doing the street bike(now for sale). Its just a case of asking what you guys and girls want with electrics.
Old 22-03-2014
DBW Expert

Cfr250.
Old 22-03-2014
dbw Factory Pro

Full size/weight enduro bike, with battery that can last for 8 hours. With the expectation that every year newer models will be lighter due to better battery technology. So 120-130kgs which should be equivalent to a modern enduro bike fully fueled. Totally unrealistic with today's batteries but still can't wait.

I think MX is the natural place for this to start rather than enduro. They don't mind doing short stints with breaks in-between. All the riding I do is disappear into the bush in the morning and come back when you are low on fuel.
Old 22-03-2014
dbw Pro Addict

Location: Mt Druitt West, used to live in Mt Druitt East, also lived in Mt Druitt North and South.
any Mx bike chassis and suspension, need to have races at the local ovals and show grounds, probably no good for the bush but MX and enduroX would be great step forward, so 1 hour run time is enough. Belt drives are bad because of the dirt getting in between belt and drive. Id say you wont have trouble selling the petrol engine out for revenue also.
Old 22-03-2014
dbw Pro

There's a heap of variables...
In the bush, you have so many varied terrains, I'd think that electric powered systems wouldn't cut it.. Due to the fact that, like others, I head out and only head back when the fuel gets low.. I'd hate to have to head back every 30-45 mins..
MX would be the go I'd day. Keep us posted.
Old 22-03-2014
DBW Expert

I'd agree mx would be the go plus there would be the option of shorter run time to save on battery weight and have a couple of packs in the pits.

Are they going to be able to take a dunking on a creek crossing aswell I know a petrol engine don't like it but can be rectified on the track to get out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 22-03-2014
DBW Clubman

I look at electric dirtbikes and just think 'seriously why?'..

Click here for my Youtube feed
Old 22-03-2014
dbw Pro Addict

A CRF is a great starting point but runtime would make it useless for bush riding or proper enduro. Weight should be as low as possible in the frame and centred to provide neutral weight distribution.

I see no reason to covert to belt drive, it just adds to the cost and your time, also makes spares less available as all your mates are carrying spare chain links.

I'd be real interested in a decent electric bike......not until battery tech has improved though so I get decent run time from the thing. The Zero bikes are BMX strength with an electric motor fitted, you just might get a few sales starting out with a decent bike. How you will get a CRF frame new, with or without the engine and then add all the electrical parts without it costing silly money is a mystery.

Good luck with your venture.
Old 22-03-2014
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostaDFDFDF View Post
I look at electric dirtbikes and just think 'seriously why?'..
Flat torque curve and light weight motors. Once we solve the battery problem you won't want anything else.
Old 22-03-2014
dbw Factory Pro

Is there a way can make the turning of the wheels use some kind of funky magnetic/alternator/solar?/KERS stuff and charge the battery at the same time you're using it?

ie. to try and get double the length out of the battery before a proper re-charge is required?

Otherwise it's very limited to motocross style dirt biking where you don't ride for long periods.

Even if you only get half-way there you can only hope Shell or BP etc. buy your technology off you for a bazillion dollars so they don't lose future oil selling business.

Last edited by Pygmygod; 22-03-2014 at 08:30 PM.