dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > Manufacturers > KTM Forum

KTM Forum If it's Orange it's in here. Proudly sponsored by www.mainjet.com.au

Old 28-01-2008
dbw Pro

Exclamation 200 EXC Throttle Sticking

Anyone had an issue with there throttle sticking, (not a pretty aftermath i tell you )
It mainly sticks after a jump or a good bump????? Its happened once before with the same symptoms and i found the adjuster on the top of the carby had come loose and wound in, Though not the case this time...
83 RM 125
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro

Wooaaahhhh

No luckily,just check everything,take out slide and check it for wear,lube ya cable.clean handlebar where it rubs and clean and lube throttle housing.Also keep a finger on the clutch when ya test it!!
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro Addict

How long has it been since you put a new cable on the bike?? Have you tried pulling the throttle housing apart to see if it is frayed?? It could be frayed down near the carby too!!

White 2011 KTM300EXC 2 smoker
Black 2009 KTM400EXC 4 banger

2013 Yamaha Peewee 50 pocket rocket!
2x 1984 Honda CR80R's restoration project bikes!!

I ride like a girl!

TAHCA Member- Tight Arse High Country Adventures.
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro Legend

You don't have a set of barkbusters that rub up against the edge of the throttle tube do you???

Yam-Man
Old 29-01-2008
Have YOU been Tallarised?????

when i bought my 02 200 people warned me this was a problem 200s have, something to do with the slide i believe
It has never happened to my bike though.....touch wood
cheers talla
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro Champion

If it's not the cable,slide or cable routing drop the drain plug of the bowl and
check for dirt or sand.Had a grain of sand get in the carb while crossing a
river(sandy bottom),5 minutes later my throttle stuck and blew my 200 up.Didn't know it
was this (thought it was the cable)until I rebuilt the bike and went for the first ride and it happened again (didn't blow up this time).
One grain (that's all it was) kept getting sucked up through the main jet and
jamming the needle.When you stopped the bike and pulled the throttle it would drop back down to be sucked up again.

Check for marks on your needle.
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro Champion

Location: sunshine coast,qld Not the Sunny Coast,get it right
i found that mine stuck on because on top of the carby there is a black rubber sealing thing that pulls away from the adjuster and takes the cable with it,so all i did was pull the black rubber thing up the outer cable out of the way and it dosnt stick anymore,its a realy scary moment on a 200 when it sticks.
club mud #672

350 jawa twin,sl125,xl350,xl350(newer),tt500(orange and silver)tt500(orange and silver)another one,it250,wr400 98 model,wr250 2002 model,te250 husky good bike except all the problems
06 exc 200 shed dweller for the rest of its life
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro

You might have to re-route the hoses from the carby into the airbox. I think there is 4 of these hoses we ran them into a plastic pnuematic line filter/silencer and then into airbox. When I had my 200 in 2000 -2002 we had a few problems with sand or dirt getting sucked up the breather hoses and jamming the throttle open. I know one in particular smashed his leg and spent weeks with pins poking out of his leg after hitting a tree when his 380 had a jammed throttle.
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsey_450 View Post
You might have to re-route the hoses from the carby into the airbox. I think there is 4 of these hoses we ran them into a plastic pnuematic line filter/silencer and then into airbox. When I had my 200 in 2000 -2002 we had a few problems with sand or dirt getting sucked up the breather hoses and jamming the throttle open. I know one in particular smashed his leg and spent weeks with pins poking out of his leg after hitting a tree when his 380 had a jammed throttle.

Yeah this is what I was told to do by a well known TM mechanic.
Was telling him what happened and he stopped me and said "you crossed the creek at Crazes when it was deep,didn't you?".
He was spot on.
Said he'd get heaps of bikes to rebuild from crossing that creek and all from sand getting sucked up the breathers and jamming the needle.
Old 29-01-2008
dbw Pro

spot on. He was a KTM mechanic at cessnock when I spoke to him. Now overseas with TM I think.
Sponsored Links