dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums

Go Back   dbw - dirtbikeworld.net Members Forums > General Forums > General Bike Related Discussion

General Bike Related Discussion Proudly Sponsored by www.readyramp.com.au

Old 02-04-2009
dbw Factory Pro

ADB 450 Enduro Shootout

Looks like the Yammie has proven itself again in the latest 450 enduro shootout! I cant believe that with no major changes since 07 the WR can still be ranked highest amongst contenders like the new husaberg, KTM, Huskie, sherco & BMW.

Big surprise to me was the Kawa it scored highly. With the Husaberg coming in 2nd.

Next year will be interesting to see if the CRF and WR will go FI. I think the Honda would be 1st?

PS I know ADB shootouts mean crap all but its a interesting read and i reckon it would deter some potential buyers.
2007 CRF450X
2012 KTM 300 Current ride from 4 to 2!
Old 02-04-2009
dbw Pro

Where's the Gas Gas?

Strangely there was not even a mention of the EC450 Gas Gas, which they did a quick "review" of a few issues ago but made all sorts of wierd comments like "we havent gotten along with this thing very well in the past". Previously they have at least said which bikes were not in the shootout and why, but not this one. Is it just me, or is the reporting in this shootout really shallow too? Last year they focussed everything on racing ability, this year they are emphasising "all round usability". Sorry ADB, but now I've had enough and my sub will be lapsing - this shootout is absolute rubbish!
Old 02-04-2009
Chief Goose / Wasp bait.

Most, if not all shootouts are crap.

A bike is said to be rubbish one year, or even from mag to mag, and then with no changes it wins next year.

It must depend on some other (under the table) criteria or something
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Pro Addict

Did they do lap times like previous reviews?

They have to get rid of their 40% motor way of judging. All bikes get along quickly now days and they are all very similar power wise.

You will go faster if the suspension and ergos suit your weight, skill & riding style. You might find the fastest bike in the average blokes hands has a softer linear power delivery really.

Don't like a post or thread? Click on this icon in the top right of the post. It will be actioned much faster than sending a PM to me or another moderator.

JD Jetting Kits, KTM F-Bushings, GasGas Parts & more click here!
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Factory Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keg View Post
Did they do lap times like previous reviews?

They have to get rid of their 40% motor way of judging. All bikes get along quickly now days and they are all very similar power wise.

You will go faster if the suspension and ergos suit your weight, skill & riding style. You might find the fastest bike in the average blokes hands has a softer linear power delivery really.
Can't say i agree with you there Keg. The motor in my Gasser is nothing like an 09 Husky. The Husky is faster in a straight line but gasser is still an all round better motor IMO. Did you actually ready the article? The score for the motor wasn’t based on outright power delivery and nor should it be. In fact the Husky only came 6th in the engine department.

I was disappointed that the Gasser didn't get a run as I’m sure TM owners also were, not even a mention as to why they were missing. I'll be sending ADB an e-mail to find out why but if my subscription renewal arrived tomorrow i don't know if I’d bother.

09 Gas Gas EC450
07 Yamaha WR250F
96 Honda CT110 "The Postmaster"
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

Another great ADB shootout where a bike that hasn't changed at all comes out in a completely different position to the year before. Even better is when the unchanged bike somehow changes it's weight by +/-6kg's.

I hope for keg's sake he had something better to do than read ADB

Maybe if they "stick a pipe" on it, it will go even better.
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Pro Champion

Quote:
Never a truer word was said

Quote:
Next year will be interesting to see if the CRF and WR will go FI. I think the Honda would be 1st?
They'll have to drastically fix the handling/ergos first
Jetting Magnetti Marelli IAW15P
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Pro Hall of Fame Member, Seeker of the burger.

The CRF450x is two generations behind in the frame technology... essentially based on the 2002-2004 450R. I'd imagine they'll just bring out a new one in 2011 based on the 09 450R. Next year will be the year for the 250R I reckon.

WR doesn't need to change anything... it won ... then it will lose next year, and then if they put some new stickers on it will win the following year.
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Pro Legend

Why did I bother buying it? I haven't bought a print mag for ages and the 450 thing made it an impulse purchase for me. Those reviews are about as comprehensive as a Honda warranty. I'd like my money back. I thought last years Dirt Action shootout was a pretty decent read, but this was absolute garbage journalism.
Old 03-04-2009
dbw Pro Addict

did you see the small add/write up about the chinga CRF, everyone said the fork looked light crap - turns out unbadged ohlins, soon to be badged ohlins.
QLD design, Chinga built, Italian Frame. whoa
Sponsored Links